Hysterectomy through the ER? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy through the ER? Hysterectomy through the ER?

Unread 02-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Hysterectomy through the ER?

gas anyone been able to get their hyster through the ER? My docs staff has taken 3 months to schedule and I still don't have an exact date. I'm always told its this coming Friday and then they change it. I've been off of work since October and in bed for weeks. Of course I consider this an emergency but they don't. If I did go to the ER I would think they would just give me stronger meds which isn't my goal. Just would like to hear some thoughts or anyone who has had a hyster through the ER. Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2015, 07:54 PM
Re: Hyster through ER

Hi Lizabelle -

I am so sorry you are going through all of this.

I wish I knew how to advise you, but I do not. I have heard of emergency hysterectomies, but they are fairly rare. Can you see another doctor and get another opinion as to your condition to try to hasten this process?

Unread 02-23-2015, 08:05 PM

I understand your frustration as I waited several months for my surgery date. During that time I had four trips to the ER.(reports and letters were sent to my family Dr. and surgeon) On the last trip I had an ER Dr. actually sit down and listen to my story. I explained everything that I was going through. By this time my body was distressed and I felt defeated. Here I was trying to keep myself healthy against a medical system that seemed to be working against me. The ER Dr. tried to find some answers and actually had someone from gynecology come to chat with me. I was told I would be phoned by my surgeon' s office with an appointment for re-evaluation. Before that could happen the hospital phoned with my surgery date. I don't think there is any sure fire solution but it might be worth it to stand up and "be heard". Hopefully you get a firm surgery date sooner rather than later. Hang in there. Good luck on your journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2015, 09:58 PM

Marestail, unfortunately bc of my age (26) the ridiculous amount of doctors I've seen just want to give me laps. I heard of a gyn that really looks at quality of life, after he consulted with Stanford (went there for 3 years) he said yes I could have a hyster. I'm afraid if I try to go to another doc it will just be another waiting game. But if I'm not in soon I will have to.

Ealasaid, I'm glad someone finally listened to you! I've had so many ER trips the bills I've Accumulated are disgusting. But maybe they'd call my doc and put the pressure on him!

My mom called me tonight and said she's going to the hospital to see if I can be admitted through the ER. Pending what they say she will go to my gyn's office and wait to talk to him. In most cases I don't think drs know what's going on with scheduling etc.
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:50 PM

While I am sorry you are suffering, unless you are in a life or death situation, a hysterectomy is classified as an elective surgery and thus will not be done through the ER.

Since you are playing the waiting game already, why not get a second opinion? A second surgeon may have more OR time available and/or may prioritize your case higher than your current surgeon. When it comes to elective surgery, you can be put off as other patients who are considered more critical are triaged first.

in there!

Unread 02-24-2015, 05:38 AM
Re: Hysterectomy through the ER?

The only time I've heard of a hysterectomy being done through the ER is when the woman is bleeding out on the spot and the choice is basically hysterectomy or death. I would strongly suggest that this is *not* a scenario you want to create on your own.
Unread 02-24-2015, 06:34 AM

Well, why not try lap first and see if it helps...
There are many young women that had a hysterectomy. While doctors might be reluctant because of age, it is sometimes necessary due to medical condition.
What is your medical issue? Are you sure a hysterectomy will fix it?
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM

I see you are in Cali where about are you? I'm in San Diego and have a great dr here. Maybe if you are close I could help you out. I hope you get answers soon.
Unread 02-24-2015, 01:13 PM

I've had 6 laps, I have adenomyosis, about 20 ovarian cysts on each ovary and a huge mass on the back of my uterus that they don't know what it is. They haven't tested for cancer and to me this is an emergency.
We actually called the ER and they said I can have it done through them (thank god) and even gave a specific doc to do it with. So now we're just trying to find out when she works and praying that they'll actually go through it!
Unread 02-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Oh I'm glad you were able to get through to someone and hope you are able to get in soon. I'm scheduled for the 17th of march and I'm not sure if it's too soon or not soon enough right now. I'm suffering in pain but so nervous. I pray we all get through this with minimal pain.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register