Issues after NovaSure- could all this be endo/adeno?!? (This is a long one!) | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Issues after NovaSure- could all this be endo/adeno?!? (This is a long one!) Issues after NovaSure- could all this be endo/adeno?!? (This is a long one!)

Unread 07-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Issues after NovaSure- could all this be endo/adeno?!? (This is a long one!)

Hi everyone! I have been having some issues lately and reading your stories religiously has helped me so much. My Gyno has been less than helpful lately and I'm becoming quite aggravated by her nonchalant attitude towards my issues. I suppose I should give a bit of a back story:

My periods have always been painful, for as long as I can remember. But they were for my mom and sisters too, so I never thought anything of it. I had my son at 17, and it was a normal pregnancy. I went on Depo after and it was the best 3 years of my life! No pain, no period. Wonderful. Then my doctor told me that due to the high risk of osteoporosis on Depo, I had to come off it, so I tried the pill.... horrible. I didn't do well, cramps returned, I wasn't happy. I tried the patch- HA! Never got it to stay on! I tried NuvaRing- couldnt get it to stay IN. I tried implanon, and again had horrible HORRIBLE side effects. During this time I was also dealing with some pretty severe dysplasia issues and had a several LEEP procedures, that eventually led to clear Pap smears YAY!! After that, my husband and I decided that we wanted to try for another child and I went off BC. It took me 8 months of trying to get pregnant, but I finally did and my daughter was born in 2012. My first period after she was born was hellacious and I asked my doctor if I could go back on Depo as it was the only thing that ever really worked for me. She said yes, and I started it right away. Only, this time things didn't work as well as it had last time. I tried to give it a few months, but my periods never lightened, my cramping seemed worse than ever, and my mood was chaotic at best- not to mention I couldn't lose any baby weight to save my soul!

In 2013, we decided we truly didn't want more children and my husband opted to have a vasectomy so I could come off the hormone roller coaster that was birth control. I was so relieved. After a few months off the BC, I was happy to start feeling emotionally "normal" again. Only, my cycles were HELL. My periods lasted 7-10 days with flooding and huge clots, and stayed that way for months. My Gyno ordered up some labs and a vaginal ultrasound. Aside from a few small insignificant cysts on my right ovary, everything looked fine. She told me I had menorrhagia, and that I had two options (as BC was out for me due to the side effects) ablation or hysterectomy. I didn't want to undergo a hysterectomy yet, even though we didn't want any more children, I was scared of the possibility of early menopause and the surgery itself. So I chose the ablation, and had a NovaSure done in early 2014.

The ablation never worked. I had heavy cramping and bleeding immediately after the surgery, followed by cyclic pain and heavy bleeding on a regular basis. It wasn't lighter, or shorter- nothing. Just more painful. At my 3 month follow up I told my doctor nothing had changed and she suggested that I wait it out. So I did... for 2 years... without change.

Fast forward to last month, I got my "period" 6 days late- a first for me, but the weird didn't stop there. It was dark brown, with thick flaky matter. I thought, since I was late, it was fine and it would eventually go red. Nope. It only last 2 days and was brown and super light the whole time. I was baffled. Then 3 days after the spotting ended I had EXCRUTIATING pelvic pain. I felt like I was in labor! I almost passed out walking into the ER. It radiates through my entire pelvic region, down my thighs and across my lower back. I started getting pain like this after my daughter was born, but NEVER this bad. And never after such a bizarre period. They gave me a shot of some pain meds, did a blood work up and CT and everything came back fine- the ER doc told me I had gastroenteritis and sent me home to tough it out. I was so upset. I called my Gyno, and scheduled a pap and pelvic exam. I went in Friday and I explained the weird period and pain, and she said it sounded like maybe a small cyst could have burst, but she wasn't concerned. She brought up the hysterectomy again, and I told her I still had reservations. She gave me a script for Lysteda and told me to take 2 of them 3x a day while on my period to shorten and lighten my flow. She said it's a last resort, and we would schedule the hyster if it didn't work or I don't like it.

I left her office, in pain- as the exam itself caused much discomfort for some reason, even though said my cervix and uterus felt fine. She also said I would probably bleed- which I did. In fact I started my period the next day and it was EXCRUTIATING again. Hot pad and pain meds, and slept all day Saturday. Sunday was no better, and now here it is- Monday, the pelvic and back pain like last month is back, but my period is almost gone after only 2 days again. The only difference this time is its bright red, instead of brown.

I called my Gyno today and she said to take some Motrin, but not the Lysteda as my bleeding is already light and almost done. I just don't get this at all. How do I go from heavy, blood clot periods for years, to practically nothing except debilitating cramps?! Could it be the ablation? Its been 2 years!

So, I'm sitting here reading all about endo/adeno and the complications after an ablation and I am truly wondering if this could be my issue, and if so why hasn't my DR said anything about that possibility? She keeps pushing the hyster and I'm reluctant- but if andenomyosis is the possible culprit, and there is no other option, why doesn't she just tell me that? It would certainly make this decision a lot easier for me...

Has anyone had symptoms similar to mine after an ablation? What do I do? I just feel so helpless and lost, I'm just sooo tired of the pain, and not knowing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Re: Issues after NovaSure- could all this be endo/adeno?!? (This is a long one!)

I had Novasure in June 2014. Worst decision I ever made in my life. Like you, my periods were always fairly heavy but it go worse as I got older. Things came to a head on a Thursday before Memorial Day weekend 2014. I started passing clots, the larges of which was the size of a walnut. Of course it was after 5:00 and my doctor's office was closed. She didn't work on Fridays and would be closed on the Monday for Memorial Day. Long story short - I ended up seeing a gyno in a neighboring town who diagnosed me with uterine fibroids and a cyst on my right ovary.

At the time I really didn't want the aggravation and long recovery of a hysterectomy and an early menopause (I was 45 at the time). We discussed the Mirena IUD, which I was not at all comfortable with since I'm breast cancer survivor - and decided that the Novasure might be an option to dealing with the menorrhagia. The only thing I can say that improved for me was that the clots did not recur. My periods were still regular and very heavy, and despite following my post-op instructions to the letter I developed an infection that kept me on Clydomycin for two weeks. I was in almost as much pain as I was after giving birth to my daughter 20 years ago.

I went back for my six month check up and her response was basically a shoulder shrug. My only option was a hysterectomy and she didn't recommend that because, in her words, I would be going into menopause in 6-8 years and it really wasn't worth it. Rest assured - I did not go back to her.

I'm now on my third gyno in as many years and scheduled for an LAVH on August 8. It's been a tough road to travel but I'm thankful I was finally able to find a doctor who would really listen.

Sorry this turned into a novel!
Unread 07-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Re: Issues after NovaSure- could all this be endo/adeno?!? (This is a long one!)

Thank you for sharing your story with me! I too regret it beyond belief. Before the ablation the pain was manageable- yes period sucked, but I wasn't doubled over in tears every month the way I am now. And here it is, the SAME day as my last cycle- day 5- no more bleeding but I have the SAME EXCRUTIATING pelvic pain. I'm calling my Gyno tomorrow to schedule the hyster. I'm done. I can't do this anymore, I feel like I'm dying, literally, and no one has explainations for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2016, 09:48 PM

I had Nova sure in January 2016. Worst decision of my life! I just had my cervix, uterus and tubes removed. I feel better today than I have in years and I am only 4 days post op. Even at this early stage in my recovery I can safely say, my recovery from my hysterectomy has been much easier than my recovery from my ablation.

Also, when I told my physician I loved when I was on Depo shots, she was surprised. I asked why and she responded, "most women have a lot of bad side effect from that type of BC." Yes, I too had some very bad side effects. I guess, if bad side effects from BC are wonderful to you, and most women consider them unbearable, there's a sign something isn't quiet right. That was me and I did't realize it, until after I thought about it recently. IDK, I'm just thinking and reflecting on things. Take care and good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register