Remove cervix or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remove cervix or not? Remove cervix or not?

Unread 10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Remove cervix or not?

Hi - I'm struggling with this decision as my doc recommends removal, but she says she will ultimately do what I want. She recommends it to be removed since her experience is that she often has to back and remove a cervix years after a hysto. I've tried to research and although I know everyone is different, I would love some comments and experience.

Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Re: Remove cervix or not?

Thoughts vary from person to person on this. I gladly had mine removed for a couple of reasons. It really depends on what you are most comfortable with doing. There are tons of threads here about this that may help you see both sides. Best if luck to you.
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:00 PM

I too struggled with this decision for sometime. It was not until 4 days before my surgery that I had finally made up my mind to have my cervix removed. I was told and did lots of research that what ever plagued your uterus could also plague your cervix since your cervix is part of your uterus. It is also possible if you keep your cervix you could have mini periods. Theses can be as light as spotting or heavy. This is because your cervix takes the place of your uterus since they are made up with the same tissue It doesn't effect all woman but a small few. For these reasons I Haden's removed. I do not miss it and I am very happy with my decsion. But Hun only you can make that, it is personal and what you want to have done. This is your body. Good luck I know this is not an easy one to decide on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM

I had my cervix removed - but did not have a choice. From the different things I have read, it is doctor preference and patient health that drives this. Some doctors prefer that it be removed, other doctors will leave it in. It is true that some patients have mini periods if it is left in.

This is really a personal choice. Make the right decision for you and your health in the long run. Maybe discuss any concerns you have with your doctor.

Unread 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM

My cervix remains b/c dr. said I had no cervical problems and she felt that leaving it helped with pelvic floor support and orgasms. Also, since I had an abdominal approach, it was possible to leave it intact. Seeing the problems associated with vaginal dehiscence of intestines, I am happy that it remains. It appears that not having a vaginal cuff (with removal of the cervix), reduces that possibility.

If hysterectomy done via vaginal approach, I don't there think are any options to leaving cervix but not certain.

But, if you are given a choice, I'd say leave it intact! Just my humble opinion!!!
Unread 10-06-2012, 04:40 PM

I had mine out because it was really low. Almost prolapsing. I would have to push it up ( sorry tmi) this was the secondary reason for TVH . I also had enlarged uterus with giant fibroids.

Ultimately it's your decision. Good luck!
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:44 PM

I've found that here in Australia it's more common to remove the cervix than leave it in. Not sure why.
I had mine out for a variety of reasons - the main one being family cancer history.
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:57 PM

I am getting my cervix removed. It was an easy decision for me, as one of the reasons I am having a hysterectomy is because of CIN3 which was found a couple of months ago. I have at least one fibroid on my uterus as well, and they can come back on the cervix.

It's a very personal decision and I guess the thing to do is to weigh up the pros and cons of keeping it as opposed to losing it. I'm thinking the doctor wouldn't recommend removing it without good reason. Perhaps you could talk to her again and get her to expand on her reasons for her recommendation. It's also often helpful to get a second opinion if you're not fully confident with the treatment being offered by the initial doctor.

Good luck with your decision. I hope everything turns out great for you *hugz*
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM

I wanted mine to be left but believe it to be not a good option in my case, adenomyosis of the uterus and polyps in the uterus, the doctor agrees. I already have discomfort in my cervic. I did not care about having periods from the residual uterus and at this point I have bleeding with minimal pain and discomfort. If you have bad cramps it is very possible that the cervic will do that too after surgery if it is left. If your cervic is fine I would leave it in. The doctor said patients that decide to leave it in, 1 in 10 needs to have it taken out later.
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:29 PM

As others have said its a personal choice. I had one abnormal paps and had. Fibroid on the cervix so there was no logical choice but to remove it.

To be honest, I can't tell the difference. Everything feels the same. It was no big deal for me to lose it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register