LAVH question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH question LAVH question

Unread 10-23-2004, 06:25 PM
LAVH question

I am supposed to be having a LAVH but it might get changed to a TAH if there are complications. My question is: Do you have an easier time getting out of bed and getting around if you have an LAVH because they're not going in through the abdomen? I had a c-section 15 years ago and I remember how I couldn't even roll over in bed by myself in the beginning. I'm hoping that a LAVH will be an easier recovery than that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2004, 06:52 PM
LAVH question

Hi jnn188,

I didn't have a LAVH, so I don't have any personal experience to share, but I did notice that this is your first post and I wanted to you to Hyster Sisters.

While you're waiting for a reply from someone who has had an LAVH, there's lots of information that I hope you'll read:

The Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

Also, please go back into your control panel and add your surgery date to your profile so you'll be on the calendar and will receive a special greeting from Hyster Sisters.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

S
Unread 10-23-2004, 07:29 PM
LAVH question

I just had my LAVH on Tues, the 19th, and I got right out of bed in the hospital that night. It was no problem--I also had a c-section almost exactly 15 years ago, and I agree it was much harder then to move around.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2004, 12:51 PM
LAVH question

Hi,
I can't compare the LAVH with a C-section, but my recovery from an LAVH (with BSO), was fairly "easy". I didn't get out of bed until about 24 hours after surgery, but that was partly because I was "attached" to an I.V., had a catheter, and also had my legs wrapped in some device to improve circulation. Also, I had a morphine pump which I used liberally, so I was pretty much "out of it" anyway. About 24 hours after my surgery, they removed these devices. I had a shower, which felt good. That afternoon (about 1.5 days after surgery), I went home. Once there, I could move around quite easily and slept on my side most of the time. I had occasional gas pains, but not much other pain -- unless I tried to lift something, which is a no-no. I moved around slowly and carefully for the first week or so, mostly because I was afraid I would pull out my stitches (internal and external). But, basically, the recovery was easier than I had expected. I know that women with abdominal incisions have a harder, longer recovery time. Best of luck to you. I hope everything goes well.

Barbara
Unread 10-24-2004, 03:05 PM
LAVH question

I had a LAVH/BSO and A/P repair plus had my gall baldder removed on 10/19 the gall bladder is causing me the most problems. Never had a c-section but did had surgery for hernia(ouch!!!) Recovery for my LAVH having more trouble resting because I had more pain with monthly cycle! Hope yours goes as well.
Unread 10-24-2004, 03:52 PM
LAVH question

Hello,
I have had 2 c-sections & a LAVH (July 2004). I found that I had the same pain with a LAVH as with a C-Section. I was in the hospital for 24 hours after the LAVH. I found getting out of bed the morning after the LAVH difficult, but the hospital bed helped. Being able to hold on to the sidebars helped a lot! I had trouble at home the first couple of nights. I found that holding a small travel pillow over my lower abdomen and "rolling" out of bed was the only way I could get up. I completely abandoned my bed during the daytime. I was more comfortable in a chair. It was easier to get up for bathroom breaks! That pillow came with me in the car too-I found that I protected my stomach for quite a while after surgery. In fact, the scariest thing about resuming grocery shopping was the fear that someone would bump into my stomach with their shopping cart! GOOD LUCK!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register