I'm buggin out! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm buggin out! I'm buggin out!

Unread 02-11-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm buggin out!

Hello to all and kudos to the developers of this site!

I am scheduled for TVH on 2/17/04 and as the day gets closer, I become more afraid. Mainly because I don't know what to really expect. There are sooooo many different stories about this surgery I don't know what to think. I'm afraid of losing my sexual interest. I'm afraid of the recovery time because I'm so very accustomed to keeping busy, and now I will be confined. And we won't even mention my fear of what will happen to my household! Anyway, I guess my first and most upfront concern is how long will the recovery time in BED be? The sooner I can began to move about, the better for my peace of mind.

Can anyone give me more information about the procedure and the down time?

Thanks so much and pray for me

Nita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm buggin out!

Hi Nita,

I am sorry you are afraid, but that is normal since you haven't been through this before.

I had a TVH with rectal repair so the sitting was hard for me for a long time, but you aren't having that so that is good.

The first few days I was in bed , then I moved to the sofa and lounged there every day watching TV, reading, etc. My husband was home with me for about 3 days. After that when I was by myself I got up to eat or fix something for breakfast and lunch and husband fixed dinner at night. I walked around the house daily for exercise and then outside. I drove at 3 weeks some and went on very short errands and back home in under an hour. I started doing light things around the house, but never lifting anything heavy. I folded clothes, fixed bed covers, and picked up after myself. I was a for sure for my recovery.

I had some bleeding and discharge of some kind for almost 5 weeks, but less and less every day until almost nothing.

If I hadn't had the bottom repair work I don't think I would have had any pain or need for meds very long after being home for a few days.

I took it easy for 6 weeks until I could lift, push grocery carts and go back to work.

On the home page we have a list of Pre-op and Post- op hints you can read.

Be sure to ask dr all about everything concerning your surgery.

Best wishes on your surgery.

s
Unread 02-11-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm buggin out!

I have decided the reason we get so worked up is that there is not one set answer a doctor can give for any of our questions. I went in totally blind (found this sight later) I had all of these questions bleeding, sex, recovery, my house, my kids--no one could answer these questions for your situation. We are ALL different. I can tell you what I went through - the do's & don'ts listed here follow my Dr.'s orders too. I had no bleeding at all what so ever. My house is still intact but barely. I have done nothging - i'm not supposed to do. I do go to a middle school basketball game & wrestling match. I was exhausted afterwards but not dead. I did not lay in bed - i sat up in a chair walked around the house & occasionally would lay down when i was tired. I only took pain med the first couple of days but only about every 8 hours instead of the 3 prescribed. I have good days - i feel perfect - today 6 weeks out I'm exhausted & did nothing tonight. However I got up & fixed the kids lunches my 2nd day home.
Yesterday was our first "time" it was fine, great even no bleeding! wahoo! Check up was not pleasent yesterday but survived & again no bleeding! I worked at home on the puter for several hours about the 2nd week but did not go back to my 20 hour week until week 5. BTW no swelly belly & I've worn my normal clothes except - I only wore my tight fit jeans for short period of time after the first 2 weeks. My story is different from everyone elses - I just think there isn't a set of rules for this-wish there was! I excersized for the 1 st time today ( ok'd yesterday) I did fine but man Have I gotten outta shape! I hope this helps & maybe your dr. will have more answers (my doc didn't do my surgery & the one that did wasn't real personable) So I basicaly winged it & read this board all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Thanks

Thanks Winnie for the advise. You're absolutely right about everyone having a different account. so I will take it in stride and hope for the best. I've never been a sickly person and have always had normal periods and pap smears, so naturally it was a schock to me to have any problems. But this site has been very helpful to me.

I trust that your recovery will continue to go smoothly. I'm scheduled for 2/17...wish me luck

Nita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register