Undies and Others! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Undies and Others! Undies and Others!

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Undies and Others!

My surgery (LAVH) is scheduled for Dec 14th. I have an enlarged uterus cos of adenomyosis. Gyno says he will attemt LAVH but if necessary may have to switch to abdominal hyst.
I am trying to understand how much larger my belly will get. I want to get comfy tshirt nighties. How many sizes larger would be good? Also, how much larger should the undies be? How does the pad fit with loose undies???
Sorry my questions are really strange.... would greatly appreciate advice as I'm trying to get myself organised.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Re: Undies and Others!

For t-shirt nighties, probably what you have will work unless you wear tight stuff to sleep in... if so, go up a size. (or grab soemthing from your husband's tshirt drawer!)

Undies are a little more complicated. I'm wearing my usual's, but they don't rub on any of the incision spots. If they did I'd want a size bigger. The pad doesn't seem to be a problem, just get the kind with "wings" and it'll stay put.

I went out and bought a couple pairs of sweats in my normal size (but elastic waist band) and also have a couple pairs of leggings (also elastic)... not ready for that button on my jeans, unfortunately.

hope that helps!
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Those might be unusual questions but they are good questions and things I haven't even thought of. I don't know where to begin... I just found out yesterday I have to have a hysterectomy and I didn't even know there was more than one type. I went in for an ablation and they couldn't do it because my uterus is also enlarged (maybe that's why I feel and look so fat!).

Good luck to you! Keep the questions coming because some people (like me) don't know what to ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2011, 04:48 PM

I bought two sizes larger in cotton undies, and bought briefs, not bikini. I also stayed away from the high thigh cut ones. I didn't buy any special night shirts, I already had some as I wasn't wearing tight night shirts anyways. There were a few times that I just slipped on one of dh's cotton t-shirts. He wears a large size so worked out good for me.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:02 PM

going up a size or two should work; and after the surgery the undies won't be loose because of the swelling so you should be fine with the pads staying in place; good questions!
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM

I'm so not ready for this! How long does the swelling last? How long afterwards do I have to wear pads? Bigger undies! Yuk! I want my mommy!!!! : )
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:45 PM

I purchased gianormous panties as recommended and hated them. My usual panties are band-free, the gianormous ones weren't. I felt like the princess and the pea, feeling every little touch of the elastic. I tried my regular panties on about day 5 and they felt better then the gianormous ones. So my recommendation to you is it all depends on your regular panties. If you can find the ones you already like in a size or two up, go for it.

As far as PJ's, I lived in yoga pants and oversized v-neck t-shirts during my recovery they became my "uniform". I often slept in them, they were so comfy (and I had plenty of them). And once I was feeling up to getting out, I wore my "uniform" which hid my belly band.

Good luck to you!
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SozoSister View Post
For t-shirt nighties, probably what you have will work unless you wear tight stuff to sleep in... if so, go up a size. (or grab soemthing from your husband's tshirt drawer!)

Undies are a little more complicated. I'm wearing my usual's, but they don't rub on any of the incision spots. If they did I'd want a size bigger. The pad doesn't seem to be a problem, just get the kind with "wings" and it'll stay put.

I went out and bought a couple pairs of sweats in my normal size (but elastic waist band) and also have a couple pairs of leggings (also elastic)... not ready for that button on my jeans, unfortunately.

hope that helps!
Thanks so much! I don't have a husband... sigh! i'd better buy tshirts one size larger then. so, for undies I guess as long as they don't touch the navel or the bikini line should be fine? Doesnt the waist band cause discomfort? It's so hard to predict what it's going to be like. I'm terrified of a swollen belly!
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM1963 View Post
Those might be unusual questions but they are good questions and things I haven't even thought of. I don't know where to begin... I just found out yesterday I have to have a hysterectomy and I didn't even know there was more than one type. I went in for an ablation and they couldn't do it because my uterus is also enlarged (maybe that's why I feel and look so fat!).

Good luck to you! Keep the questions coming because some people (like me) don't know what to ask!
Hi!!! The questions start arising as the days go by. In the first few days I was more focussed on the emotional issues. Now these practical ones are hitting. My uterus and therefore my tummy, has been enlarged for a long time now. And it's been so depressing. I've never been like this ever. But I'm also anxious about the post surgery belly. Hope it goes... when is your surgery scheduled for?
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim M View Post
I bought two sizes larger in cotton undies, and bought briefs, not bikini. I also stayed away from the high thigh cut ones. I didn't buy any special night shirts, I already had some as I wasn't wearing tight night shirts anyways. There were a few times that I just slipped on one of dh's cotton t-shirts. He wears a large size so worked out good for me.
Thank you so much for sharing this. Why did you stay away from high thigh cut ones? Sorry I'm so clueless. Finding it hard to imagine what to expect.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register