My Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-24-2005, 08:20 AM
My Story

I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO Monday and the time has snuck up on me. The last several weeks at work have been very busy with tight deadlines and lots of overtime. At least that that kept me from getting nervous about the surgery so it was probably a good thing. Seeing the HysterSisters post for September 26 Princesses it started to really sink in but once I left work Friday it really hit me that my surgery is only a couple days away.

At first I wasn’t sure if having a TAH/BSO was the right decision. I kept thinking why do I want to disrupt my life with major surgery and an extended recovery period. Although my period was getting heavier each month, and the anemia getting worse, I wasn't in pain, the periods were only a week long and I able to schedule around them. Basically life went on. The doctor said if I didn’t have the hysterectomy, he wanted to do another ultrasound to monitor things. So I figured I could just wait and see while doing research.

After I started doing the research to figure out what the best option for me was, I was becoming more aware of what was going on each month, how other problems I attributed to getting older may be related to the fibroids, and how much my life had been changing because of the heavy periods and anemia. I also realized that things had been getting progressively worse and I had just been able to compensate month to month since I hadn’t had anything drastic occur other than one “gushing river one month long period” (this is what cause the fibroids to be diagnosed).

After several months, I realized the hysterectomy was probably the right option for me and got a second opinion. As expected, she concurred.

At this point, I am getting a bit nervous about the surgery, castle visit (this is my first non-outpatient surgery) and recovery time. I live alone and my mother, who is my only family member isn’t local. As much as she wants to be here, she can’t due to her own health issues. I do have friends in the area who have offered to help out so I am not completely alone. The other thing that has been keeping me busy and my mind off the surgery was trying to get as much as possible done around the house so I could be as independent as possible. It didn’t get it all done, but right now things are clean enough and I think I can be pretty self-sufficient – however I’m sure the dust bunnies will be taking over soon since cleaning isn’t one of the things we princesses should be doing.

Although I haven’t been an active poster to this site, I do want to thank everyone for the information they provided and their support. I had several questions since this ordeal began and found most of the answers to my questions here. Once I’m home from the castle I plan hope to post more.

Take care and s to all.
JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Hello

Hi there yes I can see how busy you have been at work.Beleive me on the heavy aunt flow part I had very heavy ones also.I an so glad that i had my TAH/BOS.To me and many more sisters who are out here I have heard lots of good news and yes there is some that has problems afterwards.The thing I think you might have more problems is with the anemia. But I'm sure since that they no you have it anemia they will really keep a close eye on that.Hugs you will be fine also remeber this once they are inside you might be surprised on what they really will fine .
Unread 09-24-2005, 08:50 AM
My Story

JCME,
From one Sept 26 princess in waiting to another, I understand what you are feeling (with the exception of not having anyone with you at the castle ~ I am blessed that my DH let me know in no uncertain terms that he will be staying with me). This will be my first over night stay too. I got as much done yesterday at work as I could and deligated the rest. I did get a lot done around the house, and am going to let the rest go. I have golden retrievers that leave BIG dust bunnies and I think that they are a sign of good mental health, so I'm just not going to worry about them. I told my doctor that I know I'm going to be in her capable hands and I'm comfortable with that. Good luck and please PM me if you need some additional support during our recovery process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2005, 12:24 PM
My Story

My very best wishes as you head to the castle.

Don't worry -- those dust bunnies will wait very patiently for you to be able to clean them up again! They will keep you company for your whole recovery time....

Take care of yourself.
Unread 09-24-2005, 12:38 PM
My Story

Like you, my problems pre-surgery weren't that horrible, but I can tell already a difference in the way I feel. Even with the recovery twinges, I feel like I have more energy. It's a struggle to rein myself in and not overdo anything. Oh, by the way, I have 2 cats and have made peace with the dust bunnies...I now play poker with them and have trained them to bring me fresh ice for my water ! Take care and best wishes for a wonderful recovery!
Unread 09-24-2005, 01:54 PM
My Story

Hello JC
Good Luck, the dust bunnies will wait take care of yourself and don't over do it.
I as well an alone, but was lucky my Mother was close enough to come stay with me during the first 2 weeks, (during the day)
Just take care of yourself and let your friends help.
This site is great, wish I had known about it long ago.
Take Care and Prayers are with you
Kay
Unread 09-24-2005, 03:17 PM
My Story

Hi jcme,

Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery and even though you'll be on your our you'll never be alone when you log in and chat and ask any questions you need to with your sisters.

Remember that when you come home you'll be a princess so let your friends pamper you. You have to concentrate on resting, walking and drinking lots of fluids.

As far as the dust bunnies go if it really bothers anyone who visits just show them where the polish and cloth is and they can do the rest.LOL Anyway I'm sure none of your friends would be rude enough to comment afterall they're coming to visit you not your house.

Take care.........Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register