Scheduled TAH Been here before....twice. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Been here  before....twice. Been here before....twice.

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Been here before....twice.

Hi Ladies,
Try as I might I keep ending up here. Im 41, never had children and had 2 myomectomies. On Monday Im looking at the TAH. I have looked at it before on what was the second MYO and by miracle my GYN was able to do a MYO and leave the uterus (insert angels of fertility here). Not even going to try this time. Little discouraged to say the least. I have no idea of my fertility ability because Ive never been married and never tried. Although, I have been the director of several programs that help adoptive parents and children and most recently headed up what would have been referred to as an orphanage back in the day (the irony right!?). I know the drill. I know the scar, the surgery, the fact it will be hard to laugh or sneeze or cough and by golly I do love to laugh--and laugh large. I was raised and live in the south and us gals, well we do love a great set of pearls and a great big ole belly laugh....except my belly has gotten out of control because of this dancing duo of fibroids and cysts and when you are, as we say, "t-ting" on the Wal-Mart floor something got to change and change quick! But this time...again, a little different. There will be no going in hoping that the doc sees some hope, there will be no more waiting another 2-3 years, this is it. And some folks get it--some don't. Im too afraid to tell how it hurts, how unfair it seems--don't get me wrong I don't think I even want children, I just want the option of choice. But that's for me and my circle to come to terms with--I will come to terms and get up our of that hospital and fast.... Because, again, us southern gals(or rather this southern gal), we don't do sick, we don't do fretful, we get up, we take care of business and we take care of the folks around us--because they need us, love us, and expect that we will be back at it and quick. I expect no less from me. I even have plans that I will be up and at em on hour 18 post op to prove to my surgeon that I can get the hell up out of that hospital--done this before you see. Much rather spend hospital money at the spa with girlfriends you see. Hooked up to some bag full of fluids aint my style.
So bare bones are these: last 2 open ab surgeries done in ATL...Im back in my small home town of which I love, but remodeling a historical home.....so will be recouping with parents....which I also love,,,,and surrounded by medical pros that I went to high school with which I both love and find a gift of God.....I resigned my job at the "orphanage" about a month before I found out about this so Im in the middle of a job hunt and I have new surgeon--who is also a friend who I share many a Friday night dinner with. As I write it, it sounds great, and I guess it is. Except it isn't. Any words of wisdom for someone who has been here before....twice? Looking at TAH and removing 1 ovary, of course don't know what to expect once those things, my things, my body, and to be honest a whole lot of hope is removed, so if you could help me know what to expect on a physical aspect, and some hints at an emotional I would be most grateful. Ive got Jesus all over this....would appreciate some extra coverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Re: Been here before....twice.

Hi! I didn't get a TAH but I got a TLH little over three weeks ago. From my experience so far has not been that bad. The first two weeks soreness but it may be longer for a TAH. I haven't had any problems. I am actually doing better than before my surgery. I didn't need one but a tummy binder might work for you since your having a TAH. The things that helped me was a body pillow, stool softeners, and Motrin. I am so glad I went through with this. I was very scared and now I see that there was nothing to be afraid of. My recovery is 8 weeks. Just remember your doing this to better yourself. Make sure to take it easy. Make a spot for you to rest at. You found a good site to help what ever you have questions or concerns. Every women I have every spoken to who have had a hysterectomy has said it was the best decision they ever made. They are right! You can do this.
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Hugs, I get it. 45 no children hysto Monday. I never even wanted kids, but the grief of taking that possibility away was great. It actually took me by surprise. This is also my second go, first surgery two years ago. A friend said something to me that brought me great comfort. She told me she thought kids were never part of my life because I all the love and good I spread to the people that need it. She said I never would have touched so many lives if I had my focus on kids. It made me feel a little better, so passing it along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Thanks so much for that! That is indeed a treasure!
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Been here before....twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwood View Post
Hi! I didn't get a TAH but I got a TLH little over three weeks ago. From my experience so far has not been that bad. The first two weeks soreness but it may be longer for a TAH. I haven't had any problems. I am actually doing better than before my surgery. I didn't need one but a tummy binder might work for you since your having a TAH. The things that helped me was a body pillow, stool softeners, and Motrin. I am so glad I went through with this. I was very sc. Times!ed and now I see that there was nothing to be afraid of. My recovery is 8 weeks. Just remember your doing this to better yourself. Make sure to take it easy. Make a spot for you to rest at. You found a good site to help what ever you have questions or concerns. Every women I have every spoken to who have had a hysterectomy has said it was the best decision they ever made. They are right! You can do this.
thank for the encouragement! I have ordered the band because i rmember that being good for me the last 2

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register