Curious to know...seeking advice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Curious to know...seeking advice Curious to know...seeking advice

Unread 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Re: Curious to know...seeking advice

About 2 years ago I had very heavy bleeding that lasted for over 30 days. My doctor recommended Novasure ablation. I had the procedure as my doctor said that 60% of women no longer have periods and 90% have lighter more manageable periods. I had the procedure in June 2010, I had some complications, but the periods were lighter.

Recently my periods became more unpredictable with extreme cramps that feel like labor pains. My ( new ) doctor has said that my uterus is very thick again and also said the pain is probably caused by blood trapped by scar tissue. She was not able to do a biopsy due to the scar tissue. She said i could try to have another ablation, but likely would not work.

I have a friend who had an ablation several years ago and has never had snother period or any pain So I think that the ablation can work well for some people, but you really need to discuss these issues with your doctor, because I was not given any of this info. I am scheduled for a hyst on Nov 27, hoping it will finally resolve my issues. Good Luck with whatever you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlbg View Post
A hysterectomy was advised to me but I decided to do another lap instead. I am curious to know if any of you attempted an alternative prior to deciding on a hysterectomy. I would probably have a hysterectomy if I didn't have 3 young children to care for. I am hoping to "buy" a few more years by having laparoscopy with ablation. I keep reading about failures. Good outcome initially but then in the long term symptoms return, often worse. My history is: 2005 I had a laparoscopy and D & C. I was diagnosed with endometriosis, pcos, and had a fibroid and polyp. All cleaned out I conceived my first child the next month and went on to have two more children (so 3 in 40 months). My periods gradually became more painful over time and I have spotting between periods. My period feels like labor pains now. I have a lot of clots but I wouldn't say I bleed heavily. U/S revealed a thickened endometrium lining, a fibrod, cysts on my ovary, and several polyps. My surgery is scheduled on Wednesday and I am torn about having the ablation. The stories I am reading are scaring me!! My doctor said it is a 50/50 chance that I would need a hysterectomy in the future after attempting an ablation. I am wondering if maybe I should just have a lap with D and C instead? If an ablation fails it sounds not only painful but also dangerous? Blood getting trapped behind scar tissure? My doctor did not tell me these things. It sounds like my husband will need to get a vasectomy since a pregnancy would be hazardous after the procedure. Any advice, stories you can share, or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Ladies!!

I had an endometrial ablation 8 years ago & it was a GOD send. Little down time. Healed well. Outpatient. I am a believer!! I now am in need of a hysterectomy & scheduled for next week.
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM

I had a D&C and ablation done in January of this year, and this was only after I kept buggin my GYN to do something besides tell me that my pan was normal. Also found out that I had a retroverted uterus. Well I was fine for the first few months and then right around the time we were preparing to come back to the states (we were stationed in Germany so I had to deal with military doctors) everything came back worse. I finally got fed up with it and when I went to my yearly spoke with my new (civilian) GYN on the Oct 18, and here it is a month later and I am getting a total hysterectomy done, keeping my right ovary. My mother had to have a partial hysterectomy done at 45 (probably should have done it sooner, but she is just as stubborn as me) and I am going on 30. I know that every situation is different and I wish you the best, I just wanted to give you my experience.
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:07 AM

hi cdlbg,
if you did want your tubes tied are you able to elect to have your procedure done in a different hospital?
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:25 AM

Hi there, I had an endometrial ablation a month ago cysts adhesions and fibroids removed but still had pre cancer cells in my uterus and cancer cells in cervix my uterus was prolapsed and he left the largest tumor inside because it was stuck inside the lining to far. I had to go in for a lap procedure 8 yrs ago but I don't think dr knew what he was doing to be honest.

The ablation I was kind of happy to try being it was leaving my uterus.

For me it wasn't as painful as hysterectomy and I had mini periods between. But I would've done nearly anything to keep my uterus idk exactly why but that is me. I say if your not ready and u have an option to prolong it, try it. I bled clots bigger then my hand for maybe all but 3 days a month. If I wouldn't have cancer and pre cancer I think I might've waited and let things fall out on their own.

Each person is different and each of our reasons are personal. Maybe make another apt to discuss or a second opinion to help decide what is right for you.
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:14 AM

I had the Novasure ablation in September 2010 as I had fibroids.

Within six months both my periods and the pain had progressively gotten worse. I returned to my GP who advised that unless they get ever single piece of the fibroids, they will grow back. And my goodness they have grown back with a vengeance.

However, this is my personal experience. There are some women who have an ablation and never had a period again! I do not regret having it as I know that my hyster is a last resort. I tried everything else first.

My doctor also advised not to have an ablation if wanting to get pregnant. Good luck.
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:45 PM

I haven't read all of the responses so forgive me if I am repeating myself. I spoke with the doctor about an ablation and she wouldn't do it until I was at least 45 because the lining will often grow back.
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:54 PM

If you are done having kids do the hysterectomy, one less step in the expense chain AND you know you won't bleed any more. Just my personal piece of advice.
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM

Hi Curvaliscious,

If your doctor wants you to wait until you're 45yrs to have an ablation I'd get a second opinion.

The minimum age requirement seems unusual.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register