How long has anyone's appetite been affected? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long has anyone's appetite been affected? How long has anyone's appetite been affected?

Unread 06-15-2005, 09:02 AM
How long has anyone's appetite been affected?

Me too, Danni. I was in great shape before my surgery - sometimes at the gym two times a day. My legs and arms were ripped. Now I see the muscle vanishing before my eyes. I don't think I would ever make a good invalid. My Dr. said 6 weeks before I could exercise, but I am doing amazingly well and feeling great so I think I might start some light walking in my neighborhood at one month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2005, 10:22 AM

HI , I allready posted to this but I just wanted to say to Grace and any of the other ladies that are iching to get back to exercising. walking is a very godd idea as it helps alot with recovery. but please don't do anything other than that without talking to you doc first.because eventhough you don't feel any pain or anything when doing it you might cause internal damage thet might cause more problems later. but a good walk is really good for you and I fgind the fresh air helps to clear my mind. Take Care, Cathy
Unread 06-15-2005, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the replies, I only take a pain med at night or late in the day if I overdo it . I had a lot of bruising and right sided pain that won't go away, so sometimes I don't sleep good. During the day I only take Advil. The DR said if my pain in my side is not better in 2 weeks he wants to do an ultrasound. When he checked me yesterday it hurt when he pressed in that area. He kept feeling with both hands on my right side. He said that is where my biggest fibroid was. Last night it felt like everything was falling out!! I don't think it is the pain med, I had to take them before for other things. Especially before my surgery and I have IC also. They never have affected my appetite like this. This is really different than anything I've had before. I will ask him what he thinks when he calls me with my bloodwork results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2005, 03:52 PM

My appetite is profoundly different. I used to drink diet sodas and alot of milk.....i crave none of that now. I want water ...all the time, ice cold...and I never ever drank water before surgery. Last night I fixed lasagne for the family ( one of my favorites) but while it was in the oven, it really turned my stomach, so, I steamed me some broccoli instead. Before surgery I hated broccoli. I crave no meat whatsoever, just veggies....which is a good thing I guess. But I do believe my hys has changed my taste buds, for now at least.
Unread 06-15-2005, 04:06 PM

I had always been within the normal weight range before my prolapse and I'll hit the BIG 50 in one month. The year prior to my surgery I started gaining weight and no matter what I did or didn't do I couldn't stop the pounds from coming on. At first I thought it was my age then I found out about the prolapse and attributed the gain to that. I am almost 4 months post-op and still have very little appetite. I've lost 47 pounds am down to a size 6. It's only been in the past week or so that I'm starting to want to eat some foods. Everyone is different and we all react to surgery in our own unique way. I haven't lost weight in the past week so maybe I'm finally getting balanced out and back to normal. I was really scared though because I knew I'd lost my desire to eat and thought I was going to have to get some help. I seem to be bouncing back now and feeling better physically, spiritually and emotionally. I guess it just took longer for my body to adjust and heal than I planned on. Diane
Unread 06-15-2005, 04:40 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I had my TAH 6 wks. ago and I still can't eat. Last friday I even had a spell where I fainted. I had to be taken to the Hospital. I found out that I was severely dehydrated and heat exhaustion. I have not been myself since surgery to be honest. I am always nauseated and sick to my stomach. I go back to the Dr.'s tomarrow to find out why I can't eat or feel like eating for that matter. I'll let you know what I find out. Flag
Unread 06-16-2005, 06:57 AM

HI Flag, I had my Tah/Lso four days before you and allthough I am not nausus SP? all time like you said you are I do get that feeling more often now then I ever had before. I asked my doc about it and he did not seem all that concerned. and I know that this surgery effects us all differently but I think at this point in our recovery that we should be able to get through a day or a week without feeling like we want to throw up. hopefully it will go away soon. Take Care, Cathy
Unread 06-16-2005, 01:48 PM

Hi,
I had surgery on 2/11/05 and I still don't have my appetite. I lost about 12 lbs and now am quite thin. I just never seem to be hungry and no food interests me. I wonder if it is because I had BSO and even tho I am on low dose ERT my hormones are all differet and ir has affected my appetit centre. Just a thought. I can't think of any other reason.
Unread 06-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Appetite Loss

Through this whole ordeal I have lost 40 lbs. My appetite has returned somewhat but I always seem nauseous in the mornings. Problem is, since I had the gallbladder surgery 7 1/2 weeks after the TAH, I don't know if it the the HRT, the Detrol for my bladder or the extra bile from the misssing gallbladder causing the nausea. All I know is I am ready to feel good again.

From research I have done there is definately a gut/brain connection and when you have pain in the gut area it can kill your appetite. If only they could bottle that for healthy folks looking to lose weight!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register