Should I panic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I panic Should I panic

Unread 09-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Should I panic

Can the doc see your colon during an abdominal hysterectomy? I am 3 months post op, uneventful recovery. Sorry if this is TMI, but this morning I had a "healthy" BM (sorry) and there was a small amount of red blood in toilet paper, (like when you cut yourself shaving). I had a colonoscopy May 2007, hysterectomy June 2008. I do have diverticulitis, and have been eating almonds (shouldn't eat nuts or seeds) everyday? Anybody else have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2008, 05:36 AM
Should I panic

(((Azeala))) Do you happen to have hemmorhoids? It's possible the strain of the BM caused a fissure in the hemmorhoid. This happened to me prior to surgery becaue of the constipation I was having. I'm not a dr, but if there is no blood in the actual BM, I would not worry. I would just keep an eye on it. If it continues or gets worse, I would def. check it out with the dr.
Unread 09-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Should I panic

I do have a hemoroid that hasn't annoyed me in over a year. But I just remembered that yesterday, I had a little soda, which is something I haven't had since surgery. Do you think the build up of gas (sorry) could have forced the BM to fast and annoyed the hemoroid, or made a small tear in the flesh? THere was definetly NO blood in the BM, just on the toilet paper. Does that make any sense? But i will keep a eye on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Should I panic

I have been having the blood on toliet paper every now and than when I have to strain to much for a BM....I bought a over the counter kit to check to see if there is blood in the stool and it didn't show that there was ( I don't know how accurate those are) but thought I would keep a check on it and if it continues to happen too often I will need to check it out ,,,,,,,I have been thinking its hemmoroids as the symptoms lead me to beleive that....I often feel like there is a small tear in the flesh which would probably be a fissure this is all my own diagnose......for myself ,,,,,,if things get worse I would have too check but am hoping it will go away on its own and stay away......
Unread 09-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Should I panic

I have had this happen twice since my op. and have put it down to haem.s,
I have suffered from them for years and any straining,constipation or diarrhoea or even excessive wind has in the past caused me bright red bleeding on occasions.I wouldn't be too concerned unless it keeps happening or the bleeding appears darker (which means it's from higher up)
I had lots of adhesions from an earlier appendix op. sticking my bowel to everything so I assume that the colon was examined extensively during the op. but don't know for sure - it would be good to know that it was!
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Should I panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeala
I do have a hemoroid that hasn't annoyed me in over a year. But I just remembered that yesterday, I had a little soda, which is something I haven't had since surgery. Do you think the build up of gas (sorry) could have forced the BM to fast and annoyed the hemoroid, or made a small tear in the flesh? THere was definetly NO blood in the BM, just on the toilet paper. Does that make any sense? But i will keep a eye on it.
Makes perfect sense! And, any blood at all, after all the blood we had to deal with prior to surgery, is going to make us nervous. It looks like more sisters think this could be hemmorhoid related, too. Keep an eye on it, but if you are nervous, do call your doc for peace of mind!
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Should I panic

Now that it is 10:30 AM and NOT 5:30 AM, things don;t look as bad as they do in the dark. Now that I think and read the posts, it is probably a combination of gas build up, hemoroid irritation and/or a small flesh tear. And I did have a colonoscpy last year, and this is the first time this has happened since before surgery. I knew I could count on all of my "sisters" to keep me grounded. But will still keep an eye on things. Thank You
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Should I panic

Please don't panic, but I would encourage any of you who have blood with BM and have not had your regular screening colonoscopy to speak with your doctor. Yes, hemorrhoids are most likely the culprit but it would be better to know that than to assume it.

My mother, a seasoned nurse, put up with her "hemorrhoids" for quite a while before deciding to talk to her doctor. Her symptoms were the same as hemorrhoids. Unfortunately, it turned out that she had rectal cancer not hemorrhoids like she had assumed. She had not had a colonscopy which most likely would have caught it at an earlier stage. She was a lucky one who survived and is cancer free 10 years later. But it was a difficult ordeal.

Again, don't panic, but talk to your doctor about your symptoms. Hemorrhoids are much more common than cancer and that is most likely what is going on, but it can't hurt to have a conversation the next time you see your doctor.

Azeala - I see that you had your colonoscopy. This was more for the other women checking in to the post who may not have had one! I hope that you are doing well!

Cindy

LSH - adenomyosis, endometriosis
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Should I panic

azeala, I have the same thing happen especially after a hard BM..sorry TMI. I've had a couple hemoroids since giving birth to ds.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register