Bowel issues post op 2 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel issues post op 2 weeks Bowel issues post op 2 weeks

Unread 12-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Bowel issues post op 2 weeks

I had a laproscopic vaginal hysterectomy on Dec. 15. First week I felt great but now I am having issues with either being impacted or having extreme diarrhea regardless of how well I am eating. I am also taking stool softeners daily yet still have alot of pain while trying to use the bathroom. Any suggestions? This is starting to cause anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Re: Bowel issues post op 2 weeks

Jeppy2 - are you still taking pain medications? Those can really affect your bowels. I think you need to place a call to your doctor's office and let them know what's going on.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. My TVH and bladder repair was on Dec 15 as well. I try to walk every day, drink lots of water and I take 3 tsp of acacia fiber (1 tsp am, noon, and pm) with water a day. That seems to help a lot - but I wouldn't say I'm completely normal yet, either.
Good luck!
Unread 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM

I had my TAH on Dec. 15th as well and was given Senna (I think it is called if for stool softening) because the doctor said that the Oxycodone can cause constipation. I was taking the pills for stool softening, but once I stopped taking the Oxycodone more than one or two a day my doctor said to back off the pills because they could cause the opposite problem. I stopped taking them on the 22nd and am still having severe diarhea to the point I go 5-11 times a day no matter what types of food I eat. :0( My doctor wants to wait and see if it clears up on it's own and I have an appointment Jan. 5th, but if this continues at this pace I will have to call her Monday to see what I should do. I am terrified of having an accident. :0(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2009, 12:25 AM

I love benefiber powder cause it helps keep you regular and even prevents diarrhea. it helps me so much. it also won't cause cramping or excess gas. you could probably cut back on the stool softeners if you used it. Check iwht your doc. if you have any concerns.

:xmashug4:
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:37 AM

Acidophilous often helps if you are constipated. It is a safer option to balance your digestion and avoid laxative dependency. I went to the hospital three times for inability to pass stool the first month after my hysterectomy. It can be very painful if not corrected properly. Pain killers often cause constipation and off-set your routine. It may be an adhesion developing that requires medical intervention. Don't hesitate to see the follow-up doctor if it persists. You deserve a full recovery to health. Let me know if this was helpful to you.
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:12 AM

Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice! I had quit taking my pain meds on the 20th and this problem did not occur until 3 days after. I was in so much pain last night my husband convinced me to take a pain pill and I felt much better. My son actually saw me cry and seeing how scared he was convinced me that I needed to contact my Doctor about this problem. My husband is also going to go and get me some acai fiber today to see if this will help relieve my problem. I will let you know how everything is going. Thanks again and I wish all of you a healthy recovery.
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:13 AM

Being on pain medicine can really cause problems with constipation. A lot of the over the counter fiber products(Benefiber, Metamucil, etc.)will work very well. My doctor told me to take them even if I have diarrhea as it will get your system more regular. You can also use Miralax which my doctors used in the hospital when I had severe constipation. They have kept me on it once a day to keep my bowels moving. They were very worried about an obstruction. If you have any concerns, don't hesitate to call your doctor for their advice. They may have something else they would recommend. Hope you are feeling better. Sending lots of hugs and best wishes.
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:23 AM

I had my TAH on 12/16 and my biggest problem has been Bowels and Gas. I have got Microlax mini enema which really is the only thing that works. I am doing one of these every other day. Im taking iron tablets due to low blood count following the op and am told that this doesnt help with constipation. Im a bit disappointed because I had problems with my bowels before the op due to pressure caused by large fibroid, now the bowels seem worse. I have tried lactulose and senna and drink loads of water and walk around but the only thing that works is the Micralax. Maybe ask your GP about it its v easy to use
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:17 AM

Good Morning Ladies,

This is my first post I just joined. I had my Hysterectomy on Oct 12th and had bad problems with soft Bowel movements where after 4 weeks after the surgery I was more like 5-10 times a day and watery. I called and asked if the strong antibiotics might have killed the good bacteria in my bowels and she said it was a possibility.

I started eating 2-3 yogurts a day and it helped but I was still miserable.

A friend told me about FlorStor (it is expensive but over the counter ask your pharmacy) it worked. I tried the 5 day bottle and then bought the big bottle.

Within 24 hours I noticed a difference. I took the medicine for 2 weeks as prescribed on the bottle then I notice I was getting constipated so I went to every other day then I went to 2 times a week and now I stopped and all the problems have gone away.

Not sure if this will help everyone but ask your Pharmacy and Doctor what they think?

I had my operation 10/12/2009

sssweetiee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register