Acne is taking it's toll! (2012) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Acne is taking it's toll! (2012) Acne is taking it's toll! (2012)

Unread 06-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Acne is taking it's toll! (2012)

Hi guys! I am new to this site and I am coming here in hopes of gaining information on a topic that is about to put me in isolation. I am 26 years old and when I was 24 I had a hysterectomy due to HEAVY bleeding during my 'time'. My mother and grandmother both also had to have a hysterectomy due to that reason. I had the DaVinci Hysterectomy and my recovery was a breeze! Unfortunately, a few months after mine I started to develop horrible acne. I have been to a derm. and been put on Oracea but it's not helping at all. My life has came to a screaching halt because I hate to go out in public with my face looking like it does. I set and cry because I don't know how to solve this problem. I NEVER had acne prior to my surgery. I need help!!! I have tried proactive, different makeup, and otc creams to no prevail! My gyno didn't recommend HRT bc i still have my ovaries so I am at a dead end with this problem. PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Re: Acne is taking it's toll!

rubberduck3

What type of proactive have you tried? The 3 piece? I too have the same issues and found that if i use the Proactive DEEP cleansing wash (this is NOT part of the kit), the toner, and then an RX lotion (clindamycin phosphate) my face stays clear. Another issue I have is that I tend to PICK and OBSESS with spots. I have had to really control my urges to POP everything I see

Also- in regards to make up, i found recently that my liquid concealer was breaking me out. My face is constantly changing what I can tolerate. It really is annoying.

Another thing a friend told me was that food allergies can cause acne. I havent had that line of testing myself but it helped her tremendously with adult acne.

My heart goes out to you. I know how it seems like you have a huge bulls eye on your face when you go out in public. Don't stop trying to find the answer. Look outside the box.

Unread 06-12-2012, 08:44 AM

You are not alone! I had a Divinci in Jan, I am now 31 and began to get really bad acne on my back about a month and a half ago. I couldn't imagine if it were on my face. I do have a little but can control it. I went to the derm and they gave me an antibiotic for 7 days and recommended some certain wash and also a spot treatment. My husband says it is clearing up but I can still feel those nasty ones. Just remember you are in much better shape than you were before the surgery!You are still beautiful too!! Prayers go out to you! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2012, 09:59 AM

I am in the same boat, except at age 39 I have acne far worse than I did as a teenager I'm 6 months post-op TAH and have upped my estrogen patch and now wear 2 of the 0.1. When I change them out it gets better, then by day 2 I have spots....to make matters worse my skin is so dry that using an astringent just makes it worse. I'm at a loss for what to do, my gyn doesn't want to up my estrogen any further (and doesn't really want me on the does I'm at now)...sigh....
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Guys!!!! I have found a solution to my acne problem within the past 2 weeks. It's slowly helping but the key word is HELPING! I read in a magazine to make a paste out of turmeric (yes, the spice) and water. Rub that on the acne and let it set for 8 minutes then wash off. Leaving it on for longer times can result in staining of the skin but that can be taken care of with lemon juice. I am ecstatic with this solution. I have been doing it for a week and I am seeing results! It's not an immediate result but it's definately worth the wait!!! If you try this remedy, let me know how it works for you.
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:19 AM

I had the same thing, though it came a couple years later after my hysterectomy, but I think it is linked to my crazy hormones from perimenopause. My dermatologist put me on minocylcine for three months and metrogel for my face. I used clinique senstive/redness cleanser, toner and moisturizer. it took a couple months but it cleared up real nice. I never had acne before in my life. I wouldn't leave the house either, it was so embarrassing. I quit taking the minocycline and using the metrogel and about a month later the acne started coming back. I went back to the dermo and he put me on oracea, he said I couldn't stay on the minocycline but I could take the oracea for ever. It has continued to help but if I quit taking it, it comes back. Have you tried the metrogel along with the oracea? I also really like that cleanser from clinique for redness. It is gentle and doesn't irritate. The metrogel for your face is an antibiotic too. I feel your pain.
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:44 PM

I did take the oracea for about 6 months with no relief and like u said...as soon as I quit it returned. I have tried meds on the outside along with meds from the inside and nothing helps! I have spent a ton of money trying to find a good makeup for sensitive skin and on different cleansers just to hit a dead end. Honestly, the turmeric mixed with water rubbed on my face is helping more than anything else I have tried! It sounds crazy but it works!!
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:26 AM

It doesn't sound crazy to me. Turmeric has great anti inflammatory properties. I was taking it for severe endo pain and did notice improvement. Really happy for you that you've found something that works. I'm on the countdown to my op, 39 days. Would be gutted if the same happened. I havs suffered with acne on and off my whole.life. It takes a huge toll on self esteem. Hope you continue to see great results
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne82 View Post
It doesn't sound crazy to me. Turmeric has great anti inflammatory properties. I was taking it for severe endo pain and did notice improvement. Really happy for you that you've found something that works. I'm on the countdown to my op, 39 days. Would be gutted if the same happened. I havs suffered with acne on and off my whole.life. It takes a huge toll on self esteem. Hope you continue to see great results

I,too, suffered from acne.
I was on 2 different rounds of Accutane to no avail. Proactive broke my face out even more. The BEST products I have found were recommended by my sister and her derm. Sage Skin Care (google it) has the most wonderful moisturizers and acne treatments ever......for young skin, aging skin, you name it. They will walk you through the process of choosing which products you need. Highly recommended for everyone!!! Hope this helps!
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM

I went through menopause a year ago due to Premature Ovarian Failure (menopause was a full year before my hysterectomy). Since menopause I have had ugly acne on my chin, in particular. I hate it! I have spent a small fortune on cleansers, etc, with no real improvement in the situation. Even more frustrating is the fact that I hadn't had bad acne before in my life...not even as a teen.

I finally got fed up and went to the dermatologist. The first doctor I saw prescribed a retinol cream. It must have had gold flakes in it because it was almost $200 for a very small tube .... and it did nothing. As matter of fact, I think things were worse while I was using it! I went back and saw a different dermatologist. He took one look at my acne, believed me when I said I had gone through menopause, and immediately said the retinol cream was entirely the wrong way to go. He said I needed to be on antibiotic. I take 100mg of doxycycline once a day and have not had a single bit of acne. My skin is as clear as can be! I don't even wear foundation much anymore, because I don't have to cover up big, red pustules!

By the way, the dermatologist did tell me that the OTC acne cleansers on the market are all essentially the same so don't spend a small fortune on them! A generic, inexpensive cleanser will give the same results as Proactive or the Nutrogena "personalized" acne treatment.

Hope this helps a little!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register