Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 10-Apr 16,2017 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 10-Apr 16,2017 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 10-Apr 16,2017

Unread 04-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 10-Apr 16,2017

So here is my update. I was not at all prepared for how difficult this recovery would go and I have a very high pain tolerance. I had an LAVH but my ovaries were left behind because I'm only 45. I had cysts and fibroids and possible endometriosis and adeno? I am four days post-op today. My surgery was difficult according to the Dr because I've never had children so my pathway was very narrow. Because of this they had to have two Dr's holding me open while my surgeon worked to get everything out. As a result of this my vagina was incredibly raw and sore right after I woke up. In addition, they put in a catheter to completely empty my bladder which also hurt and burned like crazy when I woke up. My bladder felt full because of the surgery but it was bone dry so it took hours to get enough fluids in my mouth and 4 IV bags to get me to pee.

They had trouble in recovery getting my blood pressure high enough to let me go home. Apparently you get four hours to stabilize and go pee or they call your Dr to contemplate another catheter and being admitted overnight. I really wanted to go home so at the final hour I was finally able to pee enough for it to count.

I had a good amount of blood come out on my first trip to the toilet of many trying to go pee and move around. The pain killers worked well while I was in the hospital so I figured I was good to go through the night with ibuprofen. BIG MISTAKE! First one of a few I made. I woke up at 1am in so much pain I almost passed out and threw up. I had to wait until 8am for the pharmacy to open so I could get pain pills in my system. It was a long horrible night and the Advil just didn't cut it. I should have taken those pills before bed and set an alarm for 6 hours so I could get them in my mouth right on time. You can't afford for the drugs to wear off - your body will let you know if you do with severe responses like sharp pains, can't stand up straight, nausea and wanting to pass out at times.

Words of advice - be ready for anything before you come home - most importantly help!
Have an ice pack or two ready to begin icing right away. I woke up with one in recovery. I used them religiously the first day and a half.
Have a bucket for vomiting just in case. Your body will respond to pain quickly so you won't have time to go looking around for it.
Have lots of pillows - you will have trouble getting comfortable.
Have the pain pills ready and take them before the drugs from the hospital wear off. Do not get behind the pain cycle - it just drags things out and wears you out for sure.
Have a heating pad ready and start using it soon after the first day - it helped me more than ice.
Have something like Ducolax or Colace ready to begin when you come home - your biggest fear when you wake up is coughing, sneezing, laughing or your first poop. Make sure your friends and family know not to make you laugh the first few days after surgery, it would hurt.
Have lots of fluids and drink a lot. Way more than you think you should.
Have pads and the most comfortable clothing you can wear, you don't want any kind of pressure on your waist at all at first.
If you have pets like I do make sure they can't get anywhere near your belly. They will know something is wrong and be curious to make sure you are ok. My yorkie crept right up to my belly when I laid down and has been on guard ever since.

I had severe gas pains from the CO2 gas in my right arm and in my belly. It's day 4 and I'm still moving gases out of my system. Sometimes that gas moving out hurts more than the surgery sites or inside. I had this same reaction to the gas last surgery but it seems worse now - might be my age - who knows.

I get up and move everyday and take small walks. When I finally took my first poop it was ok. I think the Colace helped a lot to make sure I didn't hurt when it came out. We will see about the next one.

I was truly hoping for an outcome like others - one or two days in bed then up and at 'em. Not so! My previous DNC and Lap was like that - I was good to go after day 2. This surgery was much more dramatic in pain and I tire quickly and easily. I am very active - I work on my feet everyday coaching track and field - sometimes for 10-15 hours. I thought I could breeze through this surgery and be back at work by day 2. Not even close.

As of today the catheter pain is minimal and almost gone. The vaginal pain has gone down a lot but I still can only pat dry with toilet paper and I'm still showing signs of bright red blood overtime I go to the bathroom. I can shower as long as I take the pain pills and do it early in the day. I can't reach my toes, or bend over in any way so socks have to be put on by someone else. I also can't dry myself out of the shower, I can't reach all the way down, or reach my backside because I can't twist. It's the little things you don't realize you will need help with.

I can't drive but I can ride in the car if the driver takes great care of bumps. I wasn't anticipating not being able to drive so going back to work is going to be interesting. I am really hoping to do that partly on Monday but today I woke up feeling worse so now that's a maybe at best.

I'm so frustrated being stuck in my bed all day and night. Today I finally made it out to the patio but I'm going stir crazy. And I don't like being in pain all the time and I don't like taking the pills. I don't like the way they make me feel.

Lastly I started having ringing in my ears today. Don't know what thats all about but I don't like it. I think again it may be my body responding to pain but I'm not really sure. I've had to double up on the pain pills and ibuprofen sometimes if it gets bad enough. I honestly thought I would turn the corner today but I may have pushed myself too hard yesterday and now I'm paying for it.

I know my case is not typical as most women had children so their surgeries go much better than mine did. I could tell when I saw my surgeon in recovery he was frustrated by my narrow opening. I can only imagine what went on in there. But overall it's done, I didn't have endo outside the uterus and I'll be curious what the pathology says about inside when it comes back.

I really am hoping for a smoother recovery soon. Thank goodness for this forum - now I don't feel so crazy. I just have to take it more easy than I have - it's so hard not to try things or push too hard.

Make sure you reach out to people if you need emotional support. It gets lonely and sometimes depressing so try to get company as soon as you feel up to it. Sending speedy recovery vibes to you all who need it and thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Wow Candy1land...You nailed it! Your advice and tips for coming home are spot on. My family likes to diffuse with humor and oh my goodness did it hurt to laugh! Pillows and ice packs have been my best friend! Today is day 3 of post op and I felt like I was doing exceptionally well because I was getting up and walking and climbed the steep steps to my own bedroom but holy cow it wore me out and I had a minor meltdown this afternoon (got behind on pain meds-mistake!) things were better after a 2 1/2 hour nap. Gas pressure is now growing in my belly, I am drinking my water, eating high fiber foods, including 3-4 prunes a day...But alas no poo yet. Keep your threads coming you are encouraging!
Unread 04-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Sneezing is by far the worst!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM

@Amy57

Laughing is terrible too, just 20 minutes ago a family member said something funny and I started to laugh tried to modify my laugh and found it hilarious the way I sounded which made me erupt into a full blown belly laugh that hurt so bad that I started to cry...total new meaning to laugh until you cry!
Unread 04-15-2017, 04:24 PM

I had ginger lemon tea and it was great to calm my stomachs pain.
For BM tried everything and finally after 4 days I was able to go. Supositories did the trick.
Relief!
Unread 04-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 10-Apr 16,2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn K View Post
Wow Candy1land...You nailed it! Your advice and tips for coming home are spot on. My family likes to diffuse with humor and oh my goodness did it hurt to laugh! Pillows and ice packs have been my best friend! Today is day 3 of post op and I felt like I was doing exceptionally well because I was getting up and walking and climbed the steep steps to my own bedroom but holy cow it wore me out and I had a minor meltdown this afternoon (got behind on pain meds-mistake!) things were better after a 2 1/2 hour nap. Gas pressure is now growing in my belly, I am drinking my water, eating high fiber foods, including 3-4 prunes a day...But alas no poo yet. Keep your threads coming you are encouraging!
Forgot to mention the power of napping! When things aren't going well a good long nap is better than anything else! Thx for mentioning...I just woke up from one and feel so much better.
Unread 04-15-2017, 05:06 PM

((Bugtussle)) ((terrif9809)) and ((caprig)) to your recovery thread. I am so glad that you are feeling well enough to join us. Your fears of surgery are over and now you can concentrate on your recovery. Be sure to rest , drink lots , and walk a little bit at a time. That will help with the gas pains and with getting your bladder and bowels to function well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugtussle View Post
Robotic TH with BSO on Wednesday. Had quite a lot of pain in the leftmost incision -- apparently the one where they insert the "assistant" port. It's a bit bigger than the other 4, and requires a stitch to close it. Had to stay an extra night in the hospital until I was able to pee on my own. Now home, still have Oxycodone and Tylenol. Also indigestion / gas / hiccups and trouble keeping meals down. I trust this will get better within a few more days.
Hi Bugtussle. We are so glad to have you join us. It is common for the “assistant port” / camera port to be more painful for a bit. Be sure to stay ahead of your pain by taking your pain meds on time. I am sorry you are having trouble with indigestion and nausea. If this continues, please don’t hesitate to call your doctor . . . it is important for your healing to be able to eat. Your meds may be a part of this. ((hugs))

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrif9809 View Post
Total hysterectomy including ovaries for post menopausal bleeding, fibroid, and cysts. Got to go home same day after peeing. Taking pain medication as prescribed. No appetite yet so eating very small portions of what sounds good at the time. Looking forward to walking outside today. At least around the court. Surgery was 4/14/17.
Hello dear . . . it is so good to meet you. on taking your meds. Continue to eat small meals more often . . . nutritious snacks will help with your energy and healing. I hope you were able to enjoy a walk outside. Love to you dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprig View Post
The problem I am having is not being able to go for 4 days now. I have been eating very light, mostly soups and I have also been taking miralax, magnesium milk and laxatives and nothing works. I can't make any efford so I am waiting fot my body to react . . . finally after 4 days I was able to go. Supositories did the trick.
Relief!
on having a BM . . . that is cause for rejoicing. We celebrate everything here. Keep drinking lots and lots and eating fiber rich foods to keep it at bay. ((big hugs))

Remember we are here for you.
Unread 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysinutah View Post
I used two at once. Hope this give you some relief.
One was enough.
Unread 04-15-2017, 06:10 PM

Day 2 of recovery and I have a headache. it is not going away with the ibuprofen. It's a dull ache on hydrocodone. What gives? What should I tell the doctor?
Unread 04-15-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy1land View Post
Forgot to mention the power of napping! When things aren't going well a good long nap is better than anything else! Thx for mentioning...I just woke up from one and feel so much better.
I agree. We need to heal and that means taking it really easy. Don't over do it. Even if you don't feel it, your body went through a lot! Rest, rest and rest!
Best wishes to all out there

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register