Will I be awake & alert the same day????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I be awake & alert the same day????? Will I be awake & alert the same day?????

Unread 03-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Will I be awake & alert the same day?????

My surgery is at 7:30 a.m. I told my DH that I didn't want ANYONE to find out if it was cancer before me. I know that's selfish because of my friends and family and coworkers have been so supportive.

I know the doc will talk to DH before I am awake but when will I be alert enought to find out?

I'm afraid and nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 01:45 PM

It depends on the type of anesthesia to some extent. I had a general. My surgery started at 2PM, the next thing I remembered it was 6PM and I was in my room. Next thing I knew it was 8:30PM and my DR was standing over me asking if I remembered a truck running me over, and that she was the truck . I remember her telling me my surgery was more of a challenge than she expected.
Unread 03-05-2003, 02:21 PM

Hi Clarisse, my surgery was at 7a.m. it took about 2-2 1/2 hours, I think I came out of recovery at about 11:30. I don't think I actually woke up good until around 2 or 3. I woke up off and on in between but I just barely remember that. I had the pump with the morphin where you just in the button and you get an injection. They have it fixed where you can't overdose. My DH said that I had used up my 4 hours worth in 30 minutes! I don't remember.
Good Luck, I believe you will be ust fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 05:18 PM
awake the same day?

I had my surgery around 8 AM and remember waking up in my room...they tell me that I asked where my rubber ducky was when I woke up from the anesthesia!!

I was awake for family visitors, did doze on and off, and used my pain pump a bunch, too (didn't feel ANY pain). I called some friends and family (although I do admit they told me I seemed stoned, but talkative!!)

It will depend on the type of anesthesia you get and what time your surgery is..In fact, even though I was in and out very quickly, I didn't talk to my Dr or see her until the next morning when she did her rounds to release me. She did call my husband about a pathology report on one funny looking fibroid.

Good luck and I hope it all goes really well!
Laura
Unread 03-05-2003, 05:25 PM

Clarisse, I had my surgery at 7:30 am and it took about 3 hours. Dr originally thought about 2 hrs but had some unexpected problems with ovary adhesed to bowel so took a little longer. I remember waking up in recovery room and talking to nurse and then to my friend. Then it was about 2:00 when I really seemed to be awake and aware of what was happening. From there I just slept and used pain pump until the next am when Doctor came in. The pain was controlled with the pump and I actually had a fairly comfortable night even the first night.

Hope this helps. Best Wishes to you!
Unread 03-05-2003, 05:31 PM
I felt the same way

Hi Clarisse,

I felt exactly the same way. But when I thought about it I realized that since my entire family (DH and three grown children) would be waiting out there wondering how I was I changed my mind. Yes, I was alert enough in the Recovery Room, as it turns out, to be told. But would I have remembered? I don't know. And I figured that my family deserved to be told while I was still in surgery if that was possible. If I had had cancer the surgery would have taken longer and somebody could have come out and told them. As it turned out there was a big problem with communication and my family was not told that I was out of surgery until I had already spent a couple of hours in recovery and my tumours were benign. I know they were really worried. I would not have chosen to have put them through that and I'm glad they finally were able to speak to the doctor at some length and we could compare notes.

But I really do understand the feeling of wanting to be the first to know. And if you still feel that way at the time the choice should be yours.

Joselle
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks...

I do want my DH to know as soon as the doc can speak to him and possibly my sis.

I was talking about those who are not waiting at the hospital. We are very lucky to have so many friends and coworkers between us that have been so supportive.

I guess I just wanted to have it sink in with me and hubby before the free world knew anything bad. They all can have all the good news they can take but if its bad.....I need to deal with it first.

Everyone looks at me w/pitty and sorrow right now anyway. I have to keep reminding them that I don't have cooties.
Unread 03-06-2003, 12:37 AM

I am one week post-op today, and I can tell you that I was not really alert until the day after my surgery. My TAH (modified radical) was at 8:30 am and the last thing I remembered was going throught the post-op stuff, (IV, etc.) and then the doctor giving me "a little something" to help relax me before I went in. The surgery lasted 3 hours and I did not really wake up until about 8pm. According to the nurse she asked me what my pain level was when I first came to, and I replied "10x10 can you give me somemore?". According to my mother and sister I said some pretty loopy things that night. As far as the pathology done, the report was not finished until Monday and Tuesday I was able to get the results during my appointment when the cathater (sp) and staples were finally removed. I would imagine that you DR would not release any results to anyone other than you or you DH. Good Luck!
Unread 03-06-2003, 07:36 AM

My surgery was for 10:30 I think. haha Don't really recall as I was such a basket case. But, I was pretty much out that whole day. As soon as I'd wake up the pain was pretty bad and they would ask me if I wanted a shot for the pain. This will tell you how out of it I was.... I DO NOT get shots. lol NO way NO how NOT me.. And I took those like a champ. lol I had a few of them too. As soon as they gave me that shot I was out again, so in away it was kinda good I slept through the major pain.

The night of my surgery after the kids came home from school I do recall hubby bringing the kids down to see me and I was so out of it he was only there a little and took them home. I don't even remember if I said anything to them. I was a mess.

My 2nd day was pills for pain so I was pretty good, got up to go pee, take a shower and could actually function when I had visitors.

angie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register