Irritable Bowel Syndrome relationship to Endomitriosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Irritable Bowel Syndrome relationship to Endomitriosis Irritable Bowel Syndrome relationship to Endomitriosis

Unread 06-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Irritable Bowel Syndrome relationship to Endomitriosis

20 years ago I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which now I wonder may have been a misdiagnosis. Upon surgery it was found that I had cronic endometriosis and more than 1/2 my surgery was removing scar tissue from organs and affected area, along with a complete hysterectomy, including both ovaries (due to large cyst, turned out benign). I have read that women with endometriosis will often have IBS, but ever since scar tissue was removed I no longer have symptoms of the syndrome. No more stomach pain eating and drinking certain things, but most of all, normal bowel movements! (sorry, to be graphic). Has anyone else found this to be the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 09:42 AM

no more runny stools, cramps, and fear of eating before leaving the house. I hope it lasts. I too have had endo for 20 years, wow, that long. I had my hyst. 4 weeks ago and felt an immediate difference. I had extensive endo on my overies, uterus, bowels, and colon. It was so extensive that they were afraid to do much with my bowels and colon except withhold the hormones for six weeks. I go for my six week app next week and they will start a low dose of hormones. I'm feeling good despite instant menopause with no HRT. My bowel movements are normal for the first time in years. I have suffered from anxiety due to my unexpected IBS that would occur anytime of the day. I think that I will beable to go off of the antidepressant in a couple of months. I also have not experienced any panic attacks since my surgery. Glad to hear from you! I could find no one to talk to and they all thought I was crazy when I would say that I thought that my bowel and anxiety problems were related to my endo. Good luck to you!
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:05 AM

I didn't have endo, but was diagnosed with IBS about 7 years ago.

I, too, have had no episodes of the diarrhea component in the year since my surgery. I used to have a terrible time with it for about 36 hours before my period would start and lasting the first day or two into Aunt Flo's reign. I referred to it as EOS - "Everything Out Syndrome".

I have an occasional bout with constipation, but I truly believe that is a matter of getting too carefree about including fresh veggies and fruit in my diet from time to time, (as in I tend not to get the "5 a day" as often as I should) but I can usually clear that up in 24 hours or less with a big salad at lunch, a brisk walk and a dose of Metamucil. I just have to stay aware of it, which I'm working on.

I believe that endo or not, the mere crowding of the internal organs that was happening from my huge uterus and its lumpiness from fibroids was causing pressure and pinching in places that simply caused my digestive system to dysfunction.

Any woman I meet who is confidential enough with me to disclose that she has IBS symptoms, I'll be asking her to consider her monthly cycle symptoms and whether they affect her IBS. I think there's going to be a lot of "Ah ha!" moments in faces when I pose that sort of question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 10:19 AM

I'm hoping for this result too! My mother has IBSC. I've never had an official Dx, other than self describing the obvious to my doctors. My heavy bleeding has always been the biggest complaint and probably, quite frankly, I was sick of hearing about my mothers chronic bowel problems and fought being like her in that way.
I always got IBSD with my periods and around age 40 things changed to IBSC right before them followed by an excrutiating transition into IBSD.
My sister inlaw has endometriosis. Her periods and her perimenopause are similar to mine.
Between the 2 of them and my own curiosity I've read anything that came my way and decided a long time ago that there was a connection.
When my LAVH/RSO was done everything in the vicinity of my uterus was very inflamed. My right ovary was completely adhered to the enlarged uterine wall. That's why it had to go too. My bowel was also inflamed with a visible cyst next to the left ovary, even though my colonoscopy, 2 years ago, was completely normal inside.
I read the best article, somewhere, several years ago that explained a theory about endometriosis that made complete sense. Of course when I told my OBG about it it she blew me off, saying Endometriosis doesn't do that!
Anyway, the research suggested that Endometrial cells can migrate into the pelvis when bleeding and cramps are severe, causing blood to back up through the fallopian tubes. There, some viable cells can implant themselves and proliferate and cause monthly internal bleeding. It gets more and more painful as it errodes organs and tissues that are not meant to slough off and regenerate every month. It also gets worse over time as the endometriosis migrates. That would explain why my IBSD eventually felt like broken glass being propelled by spasms along a raw bowel!
Because I only had a complete hyst and one ovary removed I have some concern about what the rest of my pelvic organs might continue to go through as long as there are hormones to keep it up.
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:47 AM

I had IBS w/constipation since around the age I started my period, which was 9 years old. Anyway, when they opened me up for the 6th time, at age 22, (to do my hyst, finally) my bowels were wrapped around my uterus and stuck together--it was just a horrible mess. Since my hyst, I no longer have a problem with constipation. I'm finally "normal" in that sense and don't have embarrassing episodes like passing out from pain while trying to have a BM. I definately think there is a very direct correlation and doctors often misdiagnose it as being IBS instead of endo that is covering or cementing your intestines and colon. I'm glad I got relief! Isn't it great?
Unread 06-01-2005, 12:20 PM

I had symptoms of IBS also before my surgery and hard to tell now what is going on, my surgery hasn't been quite 2 weeks ago. Still on stool softners and special diet due to the bowel resection. They had to take 6 or 7 inches of colon due to the endo going all the way through bowel wall and being attached to everything including the spleen! SO why couldn't bowel symptoms be related to endometriosis. It is a hormonal thing too the dr told me that disturbs the bowels and can be more significant with endo. So hopefully you won't have to worry about IBS symptoms anymore! This endo stuff is sure crazy huh??
Tiffany
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:23 AM

Hi there,

You are explaining everything that I have been through! I was diagnosed with IBS even though I didn't display any of the 'classic' symptoms. I hav never had problems going to the toilet etc. After bleeding black gunk for 3 years (no kidding) I finally lost patience and *demanded* to see an gyn. I went on a Friday to see the gyn doc and he booked me in for the following Wednesday for my first operation! He had suspicions that I havd bad endo and not IBS. He did explain that the belief used to be that endo used to have IBS symptoms.

I had my hyst a year or so later after going though all of the usual treatment, zoladex implants etc etc. I eventually held my hands up at the age of 32 and admitted that I did not have a life left. That was the best decision I have ever made. on Jan 7th 2004 I gained my freedom!! Yay!!

Good luck and demand to see a gyn and have tests done, especially the laporoscopy and hysteroscopy, they show the endo. Unfortunately I think my endo is back but I know it can be dealt with!
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:17 AM

Why do you think that your endo is back? Can you explain?
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:53 AM
YES!

Yes I did! Before they found my endo and adno the doctors kept telling me I had IBS and just to change my diet etc.. So of course I did all of this until I finally found a doctor who took me seriously. I had a severe case + cystitis to boot. I was miserable! But ever since my hysterectomy (I had everything removed) I have been loving life! No flare ups and I can pretty much eat what I want. the only thing I don't like about it is the weight gain. But I think I will take that compared to the pain any day!
Unread 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
IBs

I had terrible IBS since I was 9 years old along with the horrific Aunt Flow. Since having my hysterectomy 3/1/05, I have had no more problems. I am still taking extra fiber everyday just in case, but so far so good.

Also when they went in for my TAH, they found my bowel wrapped twice around my right ovary as well as adhered to my uterus. So I agree with the endometriosis and IBS going hand in hand theory.

Thank you ever so much hyster sisters for being there for all of us with our questions and speculations.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register