not sure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-27-2003, 06:49 PM
not sure

Hi, I would just like some reassurance from my hyster sisters , my surgery date is 10/17 and I think I am doing the right thing but it seems so drastic. i have large fibroids dr says the size of grapefruit , to large for a vaginal hyst. I have a beach ball belly , my pants are soo tight I mostly wear elastic bands. But other than feeling pregnant, can't sleep on my stomach, get up and pee every night, bowel problems, heavy bleeding but mine only last 2 days i can live with that. i don't feel nearly as bad of as some of the posts I read. I am 46 year s old so i don't need my uterus (thats what dh says .) Has any one else had a tah becaue of large fibroids period.

thanks, missea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2003, 06:58 PM
not sure

Missea,

Only you, along with your doc, can make the decision whether or not to have a hysterectomy. But read your post. If someone else was telling you they had these symptoms, what would you say? What would your thoughts be on their quality of life?

It's not an easy decision. I'm 45 and never had a fibroid in my life. My problem was adeno, which caused very heavy bleeding and 24/7 pain. I also was up at least 3 times a night to go to the bathroom (not anymore!!!).

If you're not sure on whether or not to have a hysterectomy, get a second or even third opinion. This is not something to go into if you're not absolutely certain....it's permanent and is life altering. WHile most of us never have any problems afterwards, many others do. You have to weigh the benefits and risks and decide. Until you're sure, read everything you can and ask lots of questions, both here and at the doc's office.

Good luck to you.
s
Cat
Unread 09-27-2003, 07:07 PM
not sure

Missea:

For fibroids there are other options less extreme than a hysterectomy. I had a UAE (Uterine Arterial Embolization) procedure done 2 years ago and it reduced the size of my fibroids 60-70%. It is done by an Interventional Radiologist not an OB/GYN. That may be one option to look into. The reason I am having the hyster is because, apparently the fibroids were not the only thing contributing to my heavy bleeding. My doctor now suspects Adenomyosis and a hyster is really the only fix for that.

I would suggest that if you are unsure about whether to go the hyster route, you might want to investigate the Hysterectomy Alternatives Thread and see what you find there. Diadema is right on when she says get other opinions. The most important person in the equation is YOU. And YOU need to feel that whatever is being done is the right choice.

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2003, 07:14 PM
not sure

Hi Missea,

Yep lots of us are going through the same thing. The problem with fibroids is that they can stop growing or they can keep growing. And the problem with heavy bleeding is it can start going 3, 4, 5, days to 2 weeks and on.... Some of us get really anemic from it and that has serious ramifications too. Most gals who have fibroids never know it, it is when the fibroids become annoying that we learn we have them, through an ultra sound or some other method.

Well, it's great that your honey is trying to be supportive by telling you you don't need your uterus; but what do you think? Are you ok with not having it? Maybe I misread your post, but I didn't get the feeling you were really comfortable with this.

Some girls are and some aren't. Me? I am not emotionally attatched to my ovaries, uterus or anything else in there, well, I'd like to keep my bladder...guess I am a little attatched to that. But that could just be me.

And yeah, some of the stories are heartbreaking and you want to take those gals and give them hugs and help. And some of us feel our stories are not as serious....well I feel that way and because I feel I have been luckier than some of my sisters I try that much harder to be supportive of them.

But it doesn't mean that if we ignore the problem it will go away. Uh....I tried that for a couple years. Funny thing....it didn't go away.

So you need to weigh the pros and cons, the problems you have now, against the likelyhood you'll have worse problems later, against the stress and strain of surgery.

It's a BIG decision. You are so right to question if you are right or not. problem is we can only tell you what is right for each of us. You'll have to decide if it is right for you.

I go in the 13th. I am counting the days. It is the first and last thing I think every day. yep, after my prayers. I am a little older than you, 51 and because of my background I am not apprehensive about the process.

Hope this helps. maybe, maybe not, but what should help is knowning that there are tons of us here who will support you through whatever decision you make. And answer your questions to the best of our ability. And send you s and prayers.

Dilu
Unread 09-27-2003, 07:25 PM
not sure

Hi!

I had a large fibroid, and I ignored it for way too long. By the time I had it out, it was watermelon size and starting to degenerate. It seemed to grow very quickly over a short time period, and I just didn't want to have surgery so I ignored it. Even at that size, I still wasn't having all the bleeding and problems that others have here.

I think it is worth considering all of your options. I feel so much better now, and found that all of my bowel problems (that I thought were IBS or something) have now cleared up. I don't have a big belly any more, and I don't look pregnant. It is good to be back to normal. But.. it was definitely major surgery, and it is worth looking at all the alternatives and making an informed decision.

Best of luck to you.

Kathy
Unread 09-27-2003, 07:26 PM
not sure

I'm a lot like you. I'm 45 and have a couple of fibroids the size of grapefruit. My surgery is scheduled for 10/10. Also like you I only bleed heavily for about 2 days, only have a few cramps and some bloating. Nothing like a lot of the women here have to deal with.

I'm going ahead with surgery because even though they say most fibroids are benign, I want to know for sure. I don't like the the thought of something growing inside of me. I'm also getting my bladder fixed at the same time. No more peeing when I cough or sneeze. Not having to deal with periods anymore is definitely appealing as well. No more accidents, ruined sheets and clothes, and no more ruined vacations.

But, like everyone else has said, you have to be comfortable with your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register