How many days in the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many days in the hospital? How many days in the hospital?

Unread 06-13-2004, 04:02 PM
How many days in the hospital?

Im going to be going into the hospital June 29th for a total abdomanal hyster. Approx how many days can I expect in the hospital. Dr. says about 4 is that normal? Of cource if there are not complications.

Sommer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2004, 04:05 PM

I had surgery wed a.m. and went home friday afternoon. I had no complications and felt fine. Remember we all recover differently and your DR will be the best judge of your castle stay.
Good luck- keep us posted on your recovery.

Unread 06-13-2004, 04:29 PM

That's the same amount of time for me, too. 4 days. I went in early on a Tuesday morning and got out at noon on the following Friday. The doctor said he didn't like his patients being in any longer, unless absolutely necessary, because of the increased risk of catching an illness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2004, 04:29 PM

my insurance initially approved only two nights. i had complications so ended up staying four nights.
Unread 06-13-2004, 04:30 PM

When I went for my pre-op, doc told me that a TVH would go home next evening, TAH would go home after 3 nights. My surgery ended up being a TAH on a Monday, I went home Thursday morning. I had no complications per se, just that we had hoped for a vaginal surgery that ended up being abdominal.

Even with 3 nights in, there's no time to be bored.
Unread 06-13-2004, 04:31 PM

Thank you both for your response. I am obviously ver nervous about the whole thing & have several silly questions. Thanks again.
Sommer
Unread 06-13-2004, 04:35 PM

Once you've been around this site a while, you'll find that there are no silly questions. Either you'll find a thread on the subject you're curious about, or as soon as you post your question you'll have people answering that they were wondering the very same thing.

So, ask away and you'll get answers/opinions!
Unread 06-13-2004, 05:09 PM

I had my surgery on a Friday morning, and by Saturday afternoon, I knew I was ready to leave !!! The food was horrible, and after they removed the catheter and all other tubes, no one came around hardly to check on me.

My gyno gave me the option of going home Sunday or Monday. I was up bright & early Sunday morning, and ready to go home. The check out took forever, but I was home by around noon. I slept all afternoon, more than I slept in the hospital.

Once home, I recovered so much faster and did so much better. The hospital bed was uncomfortable. 48 hours in the hospital was too much for me !!

I did have a very smooth operation, and no complications, other than they couldn't get my heart rate down after I came out of surgery. They put me on oxygen, and I was fine after that.
Unread 06-13-2004, 07:26 PM

I had surgery (SAH) on a Monday morning and was discharged on Wednesday morning.

Inaminit
Unread 06-13-2004, 07:36 PM

I just got released today, was operated on last Thursday. My hospital experience was so good, I would have liked to stay another day! I felt like a queen, they even assign someone to fetch and carry for you! And the food was pretty good, too, with lots of fruit and fruit juice in between meals. My husband said it was time to come home, because I felt like I was on vacation! I guess it depends on the hospital, but my experience could not have been better. The worst part was getting pain medicine that actually worked on the first day. Once they gave me vicadin and motrin, I was one happy lady. Just don't be afraid to ask, I endured 8 hours of pain before I mentioned it to the nurses. A half hour later the medicine was changed, and I realized how dumb I was to try to tough it out when a change in medicine meant that I could finally feel good about an end to all the bleeding and trouble I had had for so long.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register