5 months post op and still getting pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 months post op and still getting pain 5 months post op and still getting pain

Unread 05-01-2011, 03:58 PM
5 months post op and still getting pain

Hi....I am over 5 months post op and I thought I would be feeling much better than I do. I am still numb right across the bottom of my stomach.I don't know if the feeling will ever come back and it still swells most days. Also it hurts if I lean against the counter just below my waist and I have gained 7lbs in the last 2 months even though my diet is the same. I feel tired and sluggish most of the time. I am getting a blood test on Tuesday to check on my thyroid as it is underactive and I may need my meds increasing. I don't know if the surgery can effect your thyroid function.Does anyone else have problems so long after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Re: 5 months post op and still getting pain

The numbness is normal. I still have numbness right above part of my incision. An entire one inch wide strip above my incision used to be numb but that has gotten smaller as time has gone by. I don't know if I will ever get complete sensation back but it is feeling better.

As to your pain and weight gain, I would recommend that you check with your doctor. I see that you had both ovaries removed so it might be worth checking your hormones as well as your thyroid. Problems 5 months after surgery are not uncommon. Some ladies heal slower than others but as long as you are getting better slowly, you will get there eventually.
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:46 PM

Hi.....I'm 5 1/2 weeks post-op and am still swollen and sore. I was having issues with bowel movements and gas which will cause swelling and discomfort. I had an experience last week that probably saved my life. I won't go into details, but all I will say is, if you have any doubts or questions regarding your recovery don't hesitate to call your Dr. The patient/surgeon relationship continues until you are back to normal. I'll end with this. When in doubt or if you question anything, call or email your surgeon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2011, 02:03 AM

After total hyst surgery, I don't think I will ever be the same again just different. My bm is strange. Both my anus and vagina cramps. My bladder cramps and doesn't empty out. I'm taking cranberry pills so guess it was a slight bladder infection. Also, I guess not having an enlarged uterus pressing down on everything and all that extra space is hard on the other organs. My doc said it will take months before I'm completely healed. Strange going ons down there with the bowel, stumpy (vagina), and the bladder. As long as I don't see blood, I'm taking care.
Unread 05-02-2011, 02:25 AM

hi i am 6 months post op and still a bit numb also still a bit sore at times when anything touches my abdomen, but this is now getting better week by week. I also had my thyroid checked because of weight gain but it was fine. Doc told me it could be a year before i am healed completely and probably will always have a numb sensation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register