Out patient for my laproscopic hysterectomy?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Out patient for my laproscopic hysterectomy?!? Out patient for my laproscopic hysterectomy?!?

Unread 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Out patient for my laproscopic hysterectomy?!?

I'm having a laparoscopic (possibly vaginal) total hysterectomy on Thursday. My doctor has informed me that this is an outpatient procedure and that I'll be released that same day? Does this sound right? I've read a lot of stories on here and it sounds like most, if not all, spend a night in the hospital. I'm a little worried about going home too soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Re: Out patient?!?

I had mine in October and went into surgery at 12:30 and was out of surgery at 4:30 and went to recovery til a little after 6:00 and was leaving the hospital at 9 or little after. My dr felt as long as pain was under control and I used the restroom and kept down liquid and vitals were ok then he prefers to send his patients home. I agree with you it's weird to go home same day as major surgery and most on here stayed Overnite! All worked out fine though for me. I will keep you in thoughts and prayers!!!
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Out patient for my laproscopic hysterectomy?!?

Thank you so much for the reply and the positive thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Re: Out patient for my laproscopic hysterectomy?!?

My Dr said it was up to me, but she preferred to keep me overnight. I agreed. So I'll be spending the night in the hospital. My surgery is in 2 weeks. You can always ask to stay. Most drs will oblige. Good luck!
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDoll View Post
I'm having a laparoscopic (possibly vaginal) total hysterectomy on Thursday. My doctor has informed me that this is an outpatient procedure and that I'll be released that same day? Does this sound right? I've read a lot of stories on here and it sounds like most, if not all, spend a night in the hospital. I'm a little worried about going home too soon.
Hi MrsDoll,

I had a Lap (no vaginal) with a BSO (removal of both ovaries) done and stayed in the hospital for 1 day. My sugery was 8:30am and I went home the next day around 1:30pm. I'm glad I stayed although no complications. I've had 9 outpatient surgies for a number of female problems. This was a the 1st time I've stayed. I don't know what reason some doctors decide to do outpatient versus impatient. Perhaps, it has to do with a combination of insurance, medical history, age, etc.

Hope this helps
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM

Had mine at 9:30 am and was home by 7:30 pm the same day. I was very happy to come home. My bed, bathroom, and food. I even climbed 2 sets of stairs with no problems, just went very slow. My Dr left it up to me and I wanted to come home. Didn't regret my decision one bit.
Unread 04-08-2014, 06:55 AM

I am having a Davinci hysterectomy in a couple weeks (eek!). I am only staying overnight because I am 2.5 hours from the hospital where the surgery will take place.

Normally my doc releases the same day. I confirmed with my insurance they cover a 23 hour stay with an outpatient procedure. You may call your insurance to see if they cover a stay like this if you are not comfortable with leaving.

I think my DH would make me stay even if the doc wanted to release me.
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:25 AM

I had LAVH last Friday at 3pm. Surgery was 3.5 hours, and I was awake by 7. By 7:30 I was up, walking around, using the bathroom. I left the hospital about 8:30 that night. I was pretty adamant about not staying at the hospital, so I was happy all went according to plan.

I started a thread before my surgery about whether or not people stay overnight, and it does seem that the majority stay one night. I was just fine going home though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register