Hospital Stays? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stays? Hospital Stays?

Unread 04-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Hospital Stays?

I was just wondering what the average hospital stay is for both a LAVH and a TAH? I am scheduled for a LAVH with the possibility of being cut is something happens. But for the LAVH I am only scheduled for 23 hour observation. If I am cut then that would change. Also what is the normal pain meds given for both? I am going to give my doctor a call back and ask her these questions also.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Hospital Stays?

I had a TVH and was in the Castle for about 35 hours. I had my surgury at 7:30 am on Tuesday and came home on Wed. at 6 pm.
As for pain meds. in the Castle I got the PCA pump with Morphine....which did nothing for the pain.As home, I had prescription Percosets for the pain....they worked pretty good for the pain.
Good luck and I pray you have a GREAT surgury
forgot to add....I was told a LAVH would be about the same time frame of a Castle stay
Unread 04-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Hospital Stays?

I had LAVH on 3/21 and was discharged on 22nd by 6pm. Hope your hospital stay is more eventful than mine. I didn't even get a shower......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Hospital Stays?

I don't know what's average, but I had a TAH on a Friday afternoon, and went home Sunday at noon. Don't know the names of the drugs I was given (my TAH was done on an emergency basis, so I couldn't plan ahead), but I had an epidural & general, which worked out great. I used oral meds until I left the castle, then just used OTC for about a week afterwards.

Good luck, Karen
Unread 04-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Hospital Stays?

Do yourself a favor and read the threads on the post-hyst side re:morphine pump, and "if the morphine pump didn't work for you....what did"

I want to shout out to all women going into this surgery that this is an issue to address ahead of time.

Be knowledgable about what is out there.

Judy
Unread 04-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Hospital Stays?

I had TAH/BSO Thursday 7am and was released 2 pm on Saturday. As far as pain, my MD used Spinal Morphine which is supposed to work for first 24 hours. Not totally numb, but not a great deal of pain for the worst of it. I did not need General, only twilight, so less residual effects from anesthesia.

The only side effect was an itchy nose and face from the Spinal Morphine.

Hope all goes well.

Happyhyst
Unread 04-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Hospital Stays?

My surgery was 8:30 on Wed and I went home about 11:00 on Friday. Bladder was nicked during surgery. Was given an option of going home Thursday if I insisted, but I opted to stay. Directly after surgery I was given morphine in my IV. Then Tylenol 3 & 800mg motrin, with a couple of demoral shots the first night. Did not tolerate Tylenol 3 well 7 was thankfully switched to Loratab. Good Luck!
Unread 04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Hospital Stays?

I'm having a TAH and will be in the hospital for 2 days if all goes well. My doctor said I will have a morphine pump in the hospital and will be sent home with Percocet. He said as long as my bodily functions were working in 2 days then he'd release me, otherwise he'll keep me an extra day.
Unread 04-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Hospital Stays?

I had a TAH/BSO--went in 11am Friday, went home the next day at 9am--and I had a seven inch incision. But, my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery (pre-existing condition clause--which makes no sense, but that's another story) so the hospital wrote me off due to my circumstances. I'm sure that's why they let me go home so soon. Maybe that's too soon, but on Friday by 6:00 that evening, I was sitting up eating solid food and my catheter was out. Everyone reacts differently. My doc didn't believe in the morph pump (it worked fine for me in previous open abdominal surgeries) so he gave me Demerol by shot and later, pill. I did just fine on that--but talk to your doc because everyone's different.
Unread 04-21-2005, 10:55 AM
short and sweet....

had a lavh w/bso....time of arrival to hospital 7am friday.....time of surgery 9am.

dr. in on rounds next morning saturday @ 9am w/ release order.

waited for husband to p/up.

a total of 28 hours in and out.

dr. made me promise to completely rest when home, as she encouraged me to stay one more day, if i felt i needed.

i knew that home was better for me.

i do have 3 incisions on abdomen from procedure.

whatever they put in my iv prior to surgery knocked me out till about 3:30pm, at least the first time i was aware of waking up.

then off to sleep again till 7pm. i was asked if i wanted any pain meds, but i declined....just wanted to sleep.

when i awoke i was offered morphine or a super duper ibuprofen called tol*** can't remember how to spell it.

i didn't need any pain meds at all. i honestly was not feeling any pain, which surprised me totally.

however, i do have a prescription for ibuprofen and have taken some because i walked up and down the stairs too much at home.
they do the trick when necessary.

its important that you get the pain meds that you need. i was not trying to be a martyre or anything like that. i attribute my lack of pain to my dr.'s pre-care and overall skill. and its possible that the years of pain proceeding the surgery w/ out pain killers (not my choice) had something to do w/ it. i really am mystified by it all!!!

wishing you the best in your upcoming surgery and recovery. m

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register