LAVH-feeling tired | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH-feeling tired LAVH-feeling tired

Unread 06-08-2001, 06:07 AM
LAVH-feeling tired

I am two weeks post-op from lapriscopically-assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I haven't seen much on this site from sisters who had this type surgery. My doctor worked really hard to remove the uterus vaginally because she knew I wanted a quicker recovery. She said my uterus was the size of a large canteloupe and she had to cut it into pieces to finally get it out. I had a follow-up visit a week ago, and she reluctantly gave me permission to drive and to return to work part-time because I insisted I was feeling really good. What surprises me is how TIRED and SORE I get after a few hours at work. I'm an accountant and my job is totally sedentary. Why is sitting at my desk so different from sitting around the house? When I was home last week, I was going crazy with boredom and the desire to do work around the house (like mowing the yard) that I knew I shouldn't do, so I thought work would be better cause there's nothing physical involved. Now this morning, I'm actually having pain, feeling crummy, and I'm thinking about calling in. What's the deal? (Also, I cry alot, even though I'm on hormones!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2001, 06:16 AM
LAVH-feeling tired

Hi hclaire,
My surgery TVH was 5/21. I too was pretty bored being home for 2 weeks. I am back to work but did find myself at the beginning of the week, easily tired and a bit sore. You use different muscles to sit in an office chair compared to a couch. How about working half days? Until you get your strength back. You do not want a relapse. On the weekends I am still taking naps, it really does help.
Don't allow yourself to feel uncomfortable. Take tylenol or a pain reliever so that does not tire you out. Take good care of yourself. You will be more energetic soon and able to enjoy summer!
DeniseL
Unread 06-08-2001, 06:38 AM
working

Hi hclaire, I had my LAVH on April 10, 2001 and I returned to work this week which is 8 weeks post op. I am restricted to clerical duties only for a month and then restricted to lifting only 30 pounds or less for another month and a half. I seriously believe that this time I was allowed to rest, heal, and go at my own pace was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself. At eight weeks post op I feel very good and people have told me that after seeing me they would almost have a hysterectomy just to look that great! You should concider only working half days or 2-3 days a week if possible until at least 6 weeks post op. I know that is not always an option for many reasons. I also know that in the long run you will be so much more ready for your normal way of life and feel terrific like I do now. If you have no choice about returning to work now, at least realize that when you are home that you need to rest quite a bit in order to allow your body to heal well. Good Luck to you. Love, Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2001, 06:43 AM
LAVH-feeling tired

The first week after my TLH was great. I was taking very long walks and bored out of my gourd. After a week and a half to two weeks, I was suddenly exhausted and my ligaments started to take on their new support roles and get SORE. I spent the next week and a half lying around all the time. I went back to work 1/2 time at 3 1/2 weeks and was thrilled to get home and LIE DOWN. I would suggest you give up and go home for a week and lie around before venturing back to work. Or work half days and LIE DOWN when you get home.

Even though you feel good, there's a lot of healing going on in the parts that will support your insides at the end of all this, and you REALLY don't want to mess that up.
Unread 06-08-2001, 12:10 PM
LAVH-feeling tired

hi there

I had an LAVH on Jan 2, 2001 with gallbladder removal for Endometriosis.

I have to say that the fatigue is the last to go. You are only 2 weeks post-op and even though your outer incisions are minimal, there was a lot of work done inside your body. I think the scars from the laparoscope are deceiving because they give the impression that everything is fine. You had a major operation and it will take time before your body gets back to normal.

I would say my fatigue lasted about 2 months before it let up. Your body is using its energy to heal the inside and that doesn't leave as much energy for other stuff.

I remember just showering was a task after my surg.

good luck with your hormone stuff. I am in the same boat with HRT and have no good advice to give.

take care
tiffany
Unread 06-08-2001, 12:56 PM
Tired

Hi,

I had a LAVH on May 16th, 2001. Im a little over 3 weeks and still tire very easily. Im a stay at home mom, so I dont work outside the home, I consider myself very lucky, because at this point in my recovery I couldnt go back to work yet. I have two young children, they keep me very busy and im literally putting them to bed, spending about a half hour with my dh then going to bed myself. So you see its normal to be so tired, Im a week ahead of you and am having the same problem.

Take care,

Kathy
Unread 06-08-2001, 02:44 PM
LAVH-feeling tired

Hi! I had LAVH last December and didn't return to work full-time until 6 weeks, and I was still tired! I am also an accountant - it doesn't seem to matter if we're sitting - it's still work, and still puts stress on our ab muscles. I remember feeling tired, tired,tired! Now I can say after 6 months I feel great, and have for about 3 months now. It just takes time, and don't overdo it!
Unread 06-08-2001, 04:03 PM
Hi Claire

I hit my two week mark yesterday and to celebrate, I did some housework, went to town to see the doc, went out to dinner and then to my childs end of the year play. I was sooooo tired when I got home that I fell asleep in my clothes sitting upright on the couch. Today, I have limited my activities but literally feel wiped out from yesterday. I even have a headache.
As far as crying goes, I too am on hormones and feel like crying every now and then. Surgery is a big deal. We have been through a lot and the down time really gives us a lot of time to think and ponder on all of lifes issues that we were once to busy to think about. I just let myself cry it out. I sometimes feel like my family is thinking "hormones" but I reasure them that it is just life. It is amazing how emotional getting to know oneself again can be.
Please don't feel like the lone ranger in your fatigue and emotions. I am in the same boat, floating in the same sea, with the same feelings and energy level. I think that we just need to cast our cares back into the ocean and use this time of healing to get to know ourselves again. I kind of like that person that got lost in the real world of work, bills, relationships, and business deals.
Okay, I am rambling. Take care of yourself and let yourself heal.
Love, Brenda.
Unread 06-08-2001, 04:15 PM
Feeling tired too

Hi...I am three days after a partial vaginal hyst with "post" repair...I know you are farther along than me, but I am wiped most of the time and it is so frustrating....In my "former" life, I walked 15 miles a week and was in the gym twice a week....Now I feel like a bowl of jello...A big deal to me is walking around the couch three or four times....I know this will get better but it is hard ....I am an accountant too....Hang in there and be patient...That's what I keep telling myself...Any other fitness nuts out there recovering?
Unread 06-08-2001, 10:45 PM
LAVH-feeling tired

Ladies: you better slow down and or the Pillow Police will be after you. Doing so much so soon after this MAJOR surgery is a

We are often deluded in thinking that we will recover much faster from a TVH or Lap assisted Hyst, than from a TAH. In reality, the initial recovery from a TVH or TAH is the same: 6 to 8 weeks and is only slightly faster for a Lap assisted Hyst: 4 to 6 weeks. At that time, we are only 40 % recovered and cleared to s l o w l y resume our regular activities. It takes, in fact, from 6 months to 1 year to fully recover from a Hyst.

Sitting upright is especially hard after a an Hyst: we have a LOT of stitches and sitting puts a lot of pressure on those stitches. That swelly belly, achy feeling and increased discharge are all warnings that you are doing too much and should be resting feet up!!!

Ladies, we only have one chance to heal well: this is it. Not grabbing that chance will only delay your recovery and might in fact land you back in the castle.

Please, ladies, go back to bed!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register