Gas Question ?????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gas Question ?????? Gas Question ??????

Unread 04-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Gas Question ??????

Hi !!!!!
I see so many posts about gas problems afer surgery and gals that use gas-X.......
I am wondering if this is a problem for most gals or mainly the ones who have lap procedure??? I am having TAH.....do they use the gas in doing it that way also ????
I had the colonoscopy last Fri so I know all about that "GAS " !!!! They pump you full of it even for that !!
It seemed I was never ending passing gas for the next 24 hours afterwards !!
Thanks in advance for repiles.....I just wanna be prepared if there is such a thing !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Gas Question ??????

I had a radical hysterectomy on a Wednesday morning; Friday at 2:30 I felt gas pains and started passing gas all day for a few days. You could feel it travel throughout the abdomen, really sore and really painful...but oh so good when you finally pass it! Some women have likened it to labor pains. I would have to agree it was pretty rough.

I guess by Monday, though, whenever I had gas it didn't hurt like that anymore. I was taking the Gas-X to ward that off once I got home from the hospital, and stool softeners so I wouldn't have a problem with bowel movements. I only had to take the Gas-X for about a week and then things seemed to return to normal. Constipation and regulation, though...well that's a whole different story!!

When they go in and root around in there, things just get out of whack for a while and have to go back to normal. Have some OTC stuff like that on hand to make sure you are covered.
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Gas Question ??????

Kathi,
I had a TAH. Yes, you will have gas. I had one bout that was incredibly painful. I know that walking will help things "pass." Once you get the okay to walk, go for it. I started sitting in the chair more, walking more and doing more laps and became Princess Fartalot , but it helped tremendously with the gas. When is your surgery date? I am two weeks post op today! Let me know. Your sisters are here for you!! My thoughts are with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Gas Question ??????

I was wondering this two, thanks for the answerd ladys! i didnt know if with a abdominal i would have gas or not okay now i am getting gas x for sure now
Lisa
Unread 04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Gas Question ??????

Gas pain is common for all types of surgeries. Laps are a little worse because they pump it into you- but even with a TAH-(which I had)- it can be bad. Prepare for it-both mentally and with remedies at the ready.

Jean
Unread 04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Gas Question ??????

I was fortunate I didn't have any problems with gas after TAH. After my procedure before I was allowed out of bed (30 hours later) I moved my legs around best that I could while laying down. Imagine riding a bicycle. I believe this assisted with minimal gas and virtually no gas pains.
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Gas Question ??????

Most people are not aware drinking from a straw also contributes to gas. In the hospital, most of the time you will get one...might want to bypass them if able.
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Gas Question ??????

I had a TAH and had no problems at all with gas. Before the surgery, I told my doctor that I brought gas X with me. She said that I would not need it because they would give me something. I'm not sure if it was in the IV or if they gave me a pill. But I had no gas pains. I was up walking the morning after surgery, I walked a lot so maybe that helped. Ask your doctor before you take any over the counter meds. Sometimes you are half asleep when they give you meds in the hospital. You don't want to take something on your own and have problems because of it. Good luck, hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 04-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Gas Question ??????

Yea, the gas is kind of inevitable. My nurses did not want me using Gas-X during my stay, said it's best I get rid of it naturally.

My problem was that I was so nauseated from all that pressure and kept getting weak to the point of passing out so I couldn't walk like I was supposed to. Doctor ended up ordering a suppository and that got it moving, plus I was able to walk and a few hours later the worst of it had passed.
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Gas Question ??????

I had a TAH and I did not have a lot of gas. I had read on here to have the Gas X handy so I bought 2 boxes of the strips. FYI, they are hard to open when you are on good drugs! LOL I have only taken 4 strips total and haven't had a lot of gas or gas pain. And I thought I would because I am gassy anyway. But I actually feel less gassy since surgery so I wonder if some of my gas problems weren't related to the endo or adeno I had. Do start walking as soon as you can and that will help. I agree with the drinking through the straw thing, that does contribute to gas. I took my own water bottles with the sports type cap so I didn't have to worry about losing a lid.

I'd take the Gas X just in case. And like they say, this too shall pass! LOL Hope you don't have too much pain. I think I got myself all worked up over so many things that never really happened. I'm feeling better every day and wonder why I was so worried about every little thing. This site is great in helping you sort things out. But if you worry like I do, I think you can over think and worry about too many things.

Best Wishes!

Sandra

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register