any suggestions on skin help? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any suggestions on skin help? any suggestions on skin help?

Unread 07-16-2006, 08:31 AM
any suggestions on skin help?

I have found all these hints helpful. I thought I was going crazy after seeking little red bumps on my arms and legs and on top of it all the soles of my feet and palms of my hands felt like I had ants under my skin! I have resolved to using Ivory soap and/or an emolliant cream for daily hygiene. Additionally, I lather on Lubriderm and Jergens Ultra Healing - I have found both have helped immensely. My palms are still itching like mad - but the soles of the feet have eased up. Be blessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2006, 09:38 AM

My dermatologist told me that acne after surgery is one of our body's way of getting rid of the toxins from the anesthesia.

What my dermatologist told me to do for the acne and dry skin:

-use moisturizing body and fash washes that have no fragrence added (Aveeno, Dove, Cetaphil are some brands that have moisturing body/fash washes)

-use oil-free/fragrence-free lotions generously (again, Aveeno, Cetaphil are two that are good. Eucerin is another. There are several).

When I do this - I am not itchy. When I don't do this - I feel like a bear in the woods trying to find a tree to scratch all the parts of my body that I can't reach. (I LOVE MY BACK SCRATCHER!!) However, my dermatologist said that scratching only makes things worse.

I hope this helps!
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:44 AM

I'm with you all. First I had a rash in my butt and then it mostly went away. Now I have a rash down the back of my leg. I've been kind of treating it like heat rash, although I don't think that's what it is. At night I ice it to make it stop itching. I didn't have general anesthesia but I was kind of leaning towards the too-many-toxins-in-the-body theory. All the pain-meds and general non-activity probably do a loop to your lymph system.
Unread 07-16-2006, 10:34 PM

Me too! Someone on another thread about skin and hair suggested Omega 3 fatty acids supplements. Check with your dr about this, although most will tell us to not waste our money on supplements, you can ask the pharmasist, they usually know about mixing different meds and supplements.
Cooler showers/baths were recommended by most, including me, hot water makes it worse. Mild soap, rinse well and moisturize generously. If clothes seem to irritate you might want to try a second rinse of the laundry. The body puffs made for the body washes, the things that make such a nice foamy lather are also good and gently exfoliators.
Get plenty of rest, drink lots of water and pamper the princess. This part may not help the itchy skin but it will help you in general.

You could also check out the pink bar on the left of this page for some "natural itchy skin relief", it's at the bottom of the pink bar. I've never tried their products so I can't recommend anything. I do recommend the products the other sisters have suggested.

Heal well everyone.
Unread 07-17-2006, 12:38 AM

I started slathering on Origins night-a-mins morning and evening. It helped calm down my face and eliminate most of the dry spots..after 3 weeks I went in and had a comfort facial done to exfoliate and moisturize. She told me that what I had wasn't acne - just toxins coming to surface and to keep moisturising and drinking plenty of water. My face has pretty much calmed down except for dryness.
i still use the night-a-mins. I use the cream at night mixed with the lotion and just the lotion right after the shower in the morning. Don't forget your neck and breast area. Mine has gotten really dry.
Unread 07-17-2006, 08:24 AM

I take Flax Seed Oil, although I don't know if it really helps one way or another with skin. I don't think it can hurt, especially if dryness is the problem.
Unread 08-13-2006, 01:02 AM

I had my surgery almost 2 years ago, and I am having some major skin issues since then along with my hair. My face is so oily I can smell and it and it makes me sick to my stomach. I wash my face all the time. Then my hair went curly. Any one know what I can use to stop this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register