Did you get a second opinion? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Did you get a second opinion?

I did not get a second opinion. My doc was monitoring me and my symptoms for a few years, and I actually knew I needed the hysterctomy before he even approached the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Second Opinion

No. I did not - and I paid heavy consequences for my stupidity. I had a Dr. who wanted a living cadaver for her students = I was it.
I found about Hystersisters after I had the surgery which was not needed. I certainly wish I found my sister sooner.
Thank you all for being there for those who undergo the proceedure and need your special, loving support.

I wish you all Happy Days.

Hope
Unread 12-03-2008, 06:52 PM

for years I knew my periods were not rite and the pain was horrible. But each of my doctors--and with insurance changes there were many. All my doc's said that my pain and periods were normal and I just had to tuff it out like most women. Finelly my mother in law was talking to her doctor about my problems and no one helping. The doc said for me to come rite in, I did and she found the endo and cysts on my ovaries rite away. I was then sent to a gyno who spent a year trying different medications even though she knew they wouldn't work to get the insurance people to agree to surgery. So I did get second opinion I guess over the years, but once surgery was suggested I never did because I felt this doctor knew the answer and was a doc that finelly belived there was something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2008, 01:23 PM

No second opinion. The pain and bleeding were impacting my life so much that I knew I needed the hyst. However, I did have to wait for five months in order to finish school so I had plenty of time to consider things before the surgery.
Unread 12-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Second opinion

You are very brave as i am not. I remain very angry and feel quite stupid, as a second, and third, would have given me peace. Hystersister has created such warmth. But I had cold, non sympathetic gyn/onc. And I deeply feel abused.
I am under psyc. therapy. Thank all of you - hope for all those sisters yet to come peace and excellent results.

By the way, my name is Hope
Unread 12-05-2008, 06:33 AM

Hope:

Good luck to you and I am glad you are feeling better. Do not feel angry or stupid because of you ob/onc care. Some drs are very cold. They have some nerve especially dealing with this type of surgery. I understand how you feel. We will perserve.

I will pray for you.

Tophatt10
Unread 12-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Hi Hope,
I think your name says it all. Don't loose hope that you will get better, or do better next time. Chalk it up to a good learning experience, but don't judge yourself for what you did or didn't do. You did the best you could.

We're with you girl on your healing journey! Feel better.

Julie
Unread 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM

I didn't get a second opinion as I felt completely comfortable with my Gynae.

However, the possibility of a hysterectomy was first discussed with me more than fifteen years ago by my old GP. I have had had more than twenty years of problems with this & had asked my gynae five years ago if I could have a hysterectomy. Thankfully at that point he refused to consider it, something that I am extremely grateful for. This surgery was done when it was meant to be done.

I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

To those of you who's experience has been less than positive my heart goes out to you.

Hugs to everyone,

Lisa.
Unread 12-05-2008, 06:49 PM

I voted yes because technically I did get two different opinions - one from my physician's assistant and then from the GYN to whom she referred me. Both of them agreed my prolapses were serious enough to require surgery... given the alternatives for handling the uterine prolapse, their success rates, and the long painful history I had before of other problems, I don't regret going with a hysterectomy.
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Second opinion

Yes, I got a second opinion from a doctor in the same practice. It was a consult, so it was just us talking, no exam. She had my records and ultrasound results. She answered all my questions and recommended trying for LSH (I ended up with LAVH though). I'm very glad I did get the second opinion. It set my mind at ease about a topic that most women know nothing about until they suddenly need to know everything!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register