can we have cocktails??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

can we have cocktails??? can we have cocktails???

Unread 10-17-2006, 07:05 AM
can we have cocktails???

Not that I am a big drinker or anything but I sure could use some cocktails to ease the woryy while waiting. All my docotr said was not the day before surgery........well yeah. But like just a couple to relax me. Any input is appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 07:17 AM
can we have cocktails???

My Dr advised me the same, none the day before surgery, I laughed since the last time I drank was June 10th at my housewarming party. I think as long as you don't overdo it, you will be ok, but it is probably best to call your Dr and find out FOR SURE.

Friday is a good day to have surgery by the way. My Dad always told me never have surgery on Wednesday, the Drs are always in a rush to get out in time for TEE TIME. Of course my surgery is scheduled for a Wednesday .. go figure. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Here's to the impending hangover being tougher than anything post op

Unread 10-17-2006, 07:42 AM
can we have cocktails???

My doc said that if you drink the day before surgery, it could interfere with the anesthesia. I took a xanax the day before, all ok according to the surgeon. Good luck...but you'll be fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM
can we have cocktails???

hi Joanietoad. I had the same question when I was pre-op. Came in one day after going out for a cocktail or two and getting a bit carried away. Ouchie mamma!!! lol Stress makes us make silly choices! Anywho, some of the more knowledgeable sisters came in and posted and said to not drink anymore before my surgery. This was like 3-4 days prior. It apparently affects your reflux action and can cause problems. Let me see if I can find the post and give you a link to it......
here we go. This is from September 16th when I was 3 days till surgery....good info like always with the sisters!
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=270281

hang in there. I got so tired of hearing it in just the short amount of time I had on here pre-op, but really the waiting is absolutely the worst part!
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:14 AM
can we have cocktails???

joannietoad, I wouldn't recommend it at all. Not only can it interfere with anestheia, alcohol thins out your blood, and the last thing you want before having surgery is too have your blood thin, and run the risk of bleeding and/or having to have a transfusion. I personally wouldn't have any alcoholic beverages for at least a week before, if you are having really bad anxiety problems concerning the surgery, I would talk too the doc about your worries and fears and maybe ask about xanax or something similar.
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:29 AM
can we have cocktails???

A day I can see but a WEEK?????

Don't take my wine away for a week. a stressful week at that....

You trying to kill me!!!! HA HA
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:54 AM
can we have cocktails???

I had a glass of chardonnay the evening before surgery (I considered it a clear liquid) and I did just fine with my TAH BSO on 9/21. I didn't even ask my doctor, just thought one glass wouldn't hurt and it didn't me, but if you asked him and he advised against it, I would listen. I just decided better to ask for forgiveness than permission LOL
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:18 AM
can we have cocktails???

I think someone else had posted that vodka was clear also.... and you are right easier to ask forgiveness!!!!!!
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:32 AM
can we have cocktails???

Look, its like this. If you want to give your body the best chance of getting through the surgery well then you know that it would be best to not drink any alcohol for a week prior. OK but in the real world that is not what we want to hear at least it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I thought it would be great if i could go into surgery after three galsses of wine becasue it was only after three glasses of wine that I wasnt terrified of the thought of surgery. However, I did abstain for a week before and that was hard. I said to my DH that i couldn't believe that I couldnt drink on what could be my last days on this planet (that is how scared I was - thought I was going to die)Now, obviously I didnt REALLY think I was going to die or I wouldnt have abstained. What I did do was go to the GP and insist on getting some diazepam which are like valium. I was able to have those right up to and including the day of surgery and so that was better than alcohol in a way. That is what I would recommend for any of you who are drinking because of the anxiety. BTW I have not been able to tolerate one drop of alcohol since the surgery - sorry.

I tried three sips of a glass of champagne on friday evening as I thought it was about time I celebrated and within 5 mins had the worst gas pains ever. I had to put the champas back in the bottle.

Going to try again this week with maybe just simple glass of wine but I am a bit nervous that the gas will attack again.

Stay off the booze and go for the tranquilisers instead. They are much better for your liver and kidneys which are going to have to deal with flushing all that aneasthetic and pain meds out of your system after the op.

The other problem with alcohol is it dehydrates you and the prep for the op is going to do that as well. Surgery is very stressful for your body and it is better if all alcohol is flushed out of your system well before the op - sorry but you know it makes sense.
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM
can we have cocktails???

Who wants to make sense??!!! Just kidding....

yes you are right, but dang!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register