Scheduled TAH Two-part Question...Celebrating Tonight & Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two-part Question...Celebrating Tonight & Bowel Prep Two-part Question...Celebrating Tonight & Bowel Prep

Unread 10-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Two-part Question...Celebrating Tonight & Bowel Prep

There are 5 more sleeps left until the morning of my TAH. Today is my 1-year-anniversary and next Sunday is my 44th birthday.

Tonight we celebrate with friends at our favorite local restaurant. I was planning to have a few glasses of red wine - I've researched and have found conflicting opinions regarding alcohol drinking in the days before surgery. If anyone has any wisdom to share for this situation, please chime in!

Also...After tonight I'm planning a light diet with plenty of water/liquids up until the night before my surgery. My doctor has not required a bowel prep but I'm so constipated all of the time that honestly, I wish he did.

I normally take ExLax like twice a week (I don't believe he's aware of this but my primary physician is - although she's not happy about it) and I'm afraid I'll be all backed up on surgery day.

Do you think it's okay to sort of "bowel prep" myself? If so, does anyone have any advice on how to go about it properly (without taking ExLax that is?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Re: Two-part Question...Celebrating Tonight & Bowel Prep

I wouldn't risk the possible dehydration if something goes wrong with a self done prep. I have IBS and constipation is my biggest problem. I try not to take stool softeners or laxatives unless I absolutely have to, but what I have discovered is that dried fruit, particularly dried apricots, work wonders for me. If I eat 4 whole, dried apricots (one serving according to the label), I usually go to the bathroom by the next evening. Look at it this way - the fruit is good for you regardless!
Unread 10-09-2010, 01:48 PM

I would think you're okay with a couple of glasses of wine this far out from surgery. I would stay away from in in the 1-2 days before but wine acts as a blood thinner.

Be sure not to get dehydrated before the surgery so be careful with the self-bowel prep. They will probably start you on stool softeners in the hospital and stay on them once you go home. On a side note, I would maybe switch to Miralax on a regular basis if you deal with frequent constipation. It much easier on the system than Ex-Lax and is safe to take on a regular basis. Best Wishes to You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Just got back and had a terrific time! Decided on Cosmopolitan Martinis instead of wine and had 3 of them.

Needless to say, it was a blast (since 3 martinis can make anything feel like a great time.)

I'm gonna be really good for the next 5 days. No drinking, light and healthy eating to include dried fruit and no exlax if I can help it.

As for right now, it's time to go cuddle with my college football watching husband.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register