At work just before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At work just before surgery? At work just before surgery?

Unread 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
At work just before surgery?

Thinking ahead-is it best to go to work the day before surgery to keep yourself busy and the mind engaged elsewhere or is it better to take a day or 2 off to calm the approaching nerves in private at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Re: At work just before surgery?

Do you have to do a bowel prep of some kind to do? If you do, it might be better to be at home. Otherwise, being at work might keep your mind off of things. I had my surgery on a Monday so I was at home the day before. I had a liquid diet so that could have been done at work but I kept myself busy by grooming 3 dogs as I knew I wouldn't be able to do it after surgery.

Good luck with your surgery. :hugs5:
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM

Henriettacroft,

I worked right up until the day before surgery. Then came home, went shopping and then cleaned the house. Didn't finish until about 9:00pm the night before and went in for surgery the next morning. My doctor didn't have me do a bowel prep.

I was really emotional the last couple of days at work and was very weepy (I cried in front of quite a few people). Although it was probably a good thing for me to stay busy so I didn't totally drive myself crazy with worry, it would have been nice to at least have the day before to "mentally" prepare.

If you have a to do a bowel prep, you will most likely need to take the day before off to do that.

Good luck to you!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM

I worked the day before surgery i took off at 2 to go to the doc and start my bowel prep but i had to keep busy!!!
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:14 PM

I had a myomectomy in 2001 on a Tuesday. I worked Monday - I was on a liquid diet and I may have headed home a little early to start bowel prep.

My hysterectomy is on a Monday this time around, but even if I had scheduled it for a Tuesday, I would have worked Monday.

Personally, I like the distraction. I had a colonoscopy earlier this year at the same time I was re-doing my bathroom, so I spent the day before painting, etc. so time flew and I didn't even realize I was on on liquids.

I'm not sure what I'll do this time around. I know I'll want to be busy on that Sunday. I'm unsure if I need bowel prep or not - that will be a factor. I'm guessing yes since I had it for the first surgery.

Good luck!

Diane
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Good question!! and am glad to see that people said working up to surgery was okay. Am a teacher, but usually work at the county extension office as a summer aide. Our county fair ends two days before my surgery so will be busy right up to the hour almost. Doesn't leave me much time to prepare as just scheduled on Tuesday and trying to prepare for fair at same time. Guess my house won't be perfectly clean. Oh well!! But on the upside also doesn't leave me time to stress about it either.
Unread 07-05-2012, 06:54 PM

If you have to do bowel prep, I'd recommend staying at home. Otherwise, the distraction of work will be good for th emind. Be sure to take a bit of time ahead of the surgery to move things you will need up to where you won't have to bend to reach them. Best wishes!
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM

I go in at 6 tomorrow morning and I worked today, I even worked late. It really helped me out to not be focusing solely on the surgery, but I will admit I started crying as soon as I walked out of the office!!! Kinda hit me realizing it's almost here. But it's getting better, kept busy since coming home and now fixing to pamper myself a bit before bedtime!!!
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:50 PM

I'm scheduled for the 10th and planning to work Monday the 9th. Though I may leave early. But yay no bowel prep . I'll take it easy this weekend on foods honestly with a nervous tummy kinda have a natural prep anyhow.
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM

I worked up until the day before. I had to get my boss filled in on how to do my job while I was gone!! I didn't have to have a bowel prep or anything. So, after work I went home and just made sure I had everything I needed for my short stay (one night).

Everything went fine, and here I am at day 16 and this is my second day back at work. My boss is so glad - he said he felt incarcerated while I was gone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register