New Member LAVH/Cystocele, Rectocele and Urethra repairs/slings | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Member LAVH/Cystocele, Rectocele and Urethra repairs/slings New Member LAVH/Cystocele, Rectocele and Urethra repairs/slings

Unread 06-02-2007, 07:01 PM
New Member LAVH/Cystocele, Rectocele and Urethra repairs/slings

Hi, I'm new to posting, I think I am in the right area. One May 15, 2007 I had a LAVH and pelvic floor repairs with slings and stitching for my bladder, a rectocele and a TVT for my urethra.

I stayed 1 eve in the hospital, then sent home with catheter for a total of 7 days (hated that).

I guess I am lucky and doing fairly well. I do have a lot of pain in the exterior of my opening, but I'm moving BMs each day and my bladder seems to be working effectively. I assist with Mirolax daily and a stool softener, then just before I have to go I take warm water and squirt it on my lower parts and it relaxes things to take the stress out of going. Seems to work for me right now.

I do have localized pain that I am not sure what it is YET, one of my incisions from the lap, and at the base of my vagina.
so, sitting or standing is painful for more than a 30 min at a time. But, I'm taking tylenol and sucking it up.
I have my first OBG appt on Monday 6.4.07 and a follow up with the urologist on 6.7.07.

I've been working from home a few hours each day, I'm a marketing mgr for a growing microwave rf company in NH.
Feeling guilty that I can't find the creativity I need, or the stamina to complete anything.

I got myself in this positions (prolapsed before surgery), primarily because of working in the yard and around the house too hard, I thought NOTHING of lifting a 40lb bag of dog food, or soil, or large rocks to build a wall around the garden. I won't be doing that again in my lifetime.

I pushed myself last week and did some weeding, easy pulling but I set myself back for a few days with more pain than I needed to be in. So now I'm back to poking around and sitting, laying down, walking, sitting again. BORING.

I read the list of things you should do in weeks 1-2, etc. and found that I did almost everything that I wasn't suppose to do, I hope I didn't screw-myself-up by pushing too much. We'll see.

My thoughts are with all of you.

Regards,
JustBe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2007, 07:21 PM

Justbe,
I know how difficult it is to follow the rules of recovery. Take my advice, FOLLOW THEM!! I'm sure I have broken every rule because I am an active person and just sitting around is very difficult for me. The day after discharge from the hysterectomy I was bending to load the dishwasher, cooking dinner and when no one was watching I did laundry too! Within 1 week post-op I was re-admitted to the hospital for abdominal pain and infection. No one has said that it was because I did too much, but I'm sure I didn't help myself. I have had recurrent prolapse. Again, not sure that it was totally because of what I did or didn't do but do you really want to take the chance?
So as boring as it may be, rest. The weather is beautiful, get a book and sit outside for a bit. Take slow walks down your driveway and back. But most of all put your blinders on, don't look at the dust or the clutter. It will be there waiting for you when you're able.
Michelle
Unread 06-03-2007, 07:56 AM

Justbe,
You are way over doing it. I had the same surgery and was readmitted 2 times for infection during the first 3 weeks of recovery. I'm a very active person and have to say that staying inactive to recover was the hardest ever. I'm 9 weeks post op and still have a 10lb lifting restriction, I'm only allowed to walk for exercise. I'm not allowed to do any pulling or tugging. Last night I pulled the weeds that were easy to get out of my flower garden -not the big ones. Now my back is sore. I go back to the uro/gyn at week 13 for another follow up. Hopefully scar tissue has formed by then so I can feel confident. It is interesting, I also did very strenuous lifting of up to 40 lbs for years and now I ask my kids and husband to lift things for me. After 9 weeks the habit is formed and they do all my lifting. I just can't wait to get clearance to do some exercise. All my muscle has turned to mush!!! Remember that this time you want all you have been thru to pay off. I know I do not want to repeat these surgeries again, at least not until I'm 70!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Just be...PLEASE follow all the restrictions and rest. It may seem that it is boring and will go on forever but it won't. I had a hyst and then 4 months later had to have a rectocele and perineal repair. The second was by far the worst surgery and I don't EVER want another surgery. You really do only get one chance to heal right. When in doubt...DON"T DO IT! It seems these repairs can fail when you do nothing wrong. You will never regret having taken it easy but you sure could live to regret overdoing things.

Now that I am back to my very demanding job and life I long for the days when I could lay around and watch movies and sleep! Try to find a project you have wanted to do (I did a childhood scrap book for my son's 21st BD) and watched lots of Netfix series that I had never had time for). Before you know it you will be back to doing most of what you want!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register