Hysterectomy ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy ? Hysterectomy ?

Unread 10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Hysterectomy ?

Hello,
I am new here and I have some questions.
I had the Novasure surgery done in August and still was having problems.
I am now haveing a Hysterectomy surgery in November. My OBGYN doctor said he needs to fix a lot of things.

1. Vagina Hyst.
2. A and P repair
3. TOT
4. TVT
5. Cystoscopy
Also said my vagina was too loose and would be putting me back like I was before I had children. Also said something about Rectocele
Okay I am little confused.
I don't know what all these TOT and other things mean.
I called back to talk with my Doctor and he is gone for the next 2 weeks.
Can any of you shed some light on these things until I can talk with my doctor in 2 weeks?
Also has any of you had this vagina thing done to where it makes you like you was before you had children?
Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Hysterectomy ?

CeraAnn,

Welcome to HysterSisters! We're glad you joined us!

I just had a TVH (Total Vaginal Hysterectomy) with no repairs, but I will attempt to give you a little information regarding the abbreviations.

There are different types of hysterectomies. You can find a list and description of each of these by clicking here.

A and P repair involves repairing the vaginal wall in order to either correct existing prolapses or to prevent further prolapses and you can read about it at the above link.

TOT (I think) is a type of bladder suspension.

TVT is the abbreviation for a special type of suburethal sling.

Cystoscopy is a flexible scope is inserted into the urethra and then into the bladder to determine abnormalities in the bladder and lower urinary tract.

Rectocele occurs when the end of the large intestine (rectum) pushes through the back wall of the vagina. You can read more about it at webMD.

It is possible when you have vaginal procedures done, you will notice the vagina is a little or more tighter than before. It usually isn't a problem as the vagina can stretch to hold a tampon or deliver a baby. Even though I only had a TVH, I am tighter than I used to be, but it hasn't caused any problems.

You can find more abbreviations at:

HysterSisters Website Abbreviations

FYI~Glossary of terms, abbreviations & other info on Bladder Conditions & more!

Articles and Resources has a lot of wonderful information to help you research.

I hope this helps a little. Maybe someone who had some of these procedures done will come along and explain them to you. Your doctor will be the best person to shed light on exactly what you will have done and I know you will talk to him/her when you see them.

Welcome again! We're glad you're here!

s, Deb
Unread 10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Hysterectomy ?

You are having all the things done that I just had 15 days ago. The worst of them is the A/P repair. The others quite frankly have been pretty easy. My biggest issue has been bowels troubles since surgery but hopefully with a new approach from my doc those should be cleared up in a few days. The A/P repair is the name of the surgery that they do for the rectocele which is the name for that bulging rectum in your vaginal wall. nice huh? lol

As far as the "before children" part, my doc literally redid my episiotomy scar during my surgery and tightened (or made smaller if you will) my vaginal opening. He did warn that things will be a bit tight and possibly uncomfortable the first few times we have the big woohoo but to use lots of lubricant and relax. I did all my surgeries at once because it is easier to get it done and over and have one recovery.

You'll find tons of info here, amazingly lovely people willing to talk about anything and reassure you when you think you're going absolutely bonkers, you name it. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you poke around here and post op board you'll see that nothing is sacred among the sisters! lol

welcome and good luck
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Hysterectomy ?

Thank You both so much! Glad to know there is someone else out there that just had this done. I'm sure I will be talking with you again Karen.
Also thanks to Deb for the links with all the information...that should keep me busy for awhile.
CeraAnn
Unread 10-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Hysterectomy ?

Oh one more thing he also said he wasn't sure if he would be doing this thou the vagina or stomach. Why we he not know which way he would be doing this? What would make them have to do this though the stomach instead?
Thanks again
Unread 10-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Hysterectomy ?

As far as I know, I don't have vaginal vault prolapse, but otherwise - I think I'm having all the other things you've asked about...and it seems like everyone has answered your questions pretty well I don't have anything to add other than good luck with your surgery and know that you're not alone!

ETA: Oh, and mine is an LSH, not vaginal.
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Hysterectomy ?

In your first note, you said that you were down for a vaginal hysterectomy, meaning you wouldn't have to have an abdominal incision. Mine had to be abdominal because of the size of my uterus and the position of growing fibroids. You can get with your doctor before the surgery date to determine what route he will go by.
Unread 10-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Hysterectomy ?

Yes on my surgical papers is does say vaginal hysterectomy, but he also told me he wouldn't know for sure until he got in there so maybe it's kind of the same thing with me...depends on the size of my uterus.
Thanks again
Unread 10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Hysterectomy ?

Some of the sisters here have said that once the surgery began, the surgeon might find a reason that he would have to convert to an open procedure, and so you may not know until you wake up which you had. It will depend on your anatomy and him making the best approach for the surgery and repairs that you need. Maybe it was easier for me because I knew from the start that I would have an abdominal incision, but my healing went very smoothly, so don't worry if this is the way it has to be.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register