Should I have a hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I have a hysterectomy? Should I have a hysterectomy?

Unread 03-10-2002, 06:30 PM
Should I have a hysterectomy?

I am an IF survivor. I had 15 years of infertility. I had a laparotomy 12 years ago for tubal repair and diagnosis of IF. Anyway, long story short, I have a fibriod, not sure how big it is, but by mom also had one that grew to the size of a grapefruit and then she had a hyst. I recently had a period for 3 weeks straight. It was constantly heavy. I went to the GYN, who did not examine me, due to the "flow" and she gave me provera. I am scared of the risks of cancer. I took a lot of drugs that raise the risks. I am not sure if I would rather have a hyster, or tough this out, taking my chances. I have had several abnormal paps. Had the cryo to remove the abnormal cells a couple of times on my cervix. Also had the thingy where they take some uterine lining to see if it was also abnormal. It was awful. I cried about it. I hate to be examined. I am examined OUT!!!!! I just wonder if I would be safer to go ahead with a hyster. I am scared to death but I know once it was over I would feel better about everything...I think? I went thru the lap, and it was "nothing" to me. Of course I wasn't quite the scaredy cat that I am now!

I am 37. I know I will never have kids. Is there anything that I need to know about all this that might help me make my decision? I have a friend who had a hyster, and she is happy about it. My mom said it was the best thing that ever happened to her. I am afraid about the "sex" part of it. I also might want them to also take my ovaries. Depends on what the advice is, but mine are not healthy. One of them was adhered to the pelvic sidewall and was smaller than normal. Even with the maximum dosages of drugs they still would not produce follicles. I feel that I will not feel safe about ovarian cancer unless they are gone. Am I thinking wrong? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 07:03 PM

Rhonda,

I am sorry to hear of your pain and troubles. You have come to the right place to get a ton of information on hysterectomies and other alternatives (make sure to check out the other boards). I wish I had the right answer for you, but only you can make the decision that is right for you. (If I am misspelling things.. excuse me.. pain killers are working). Make sure to make a list of all your questions and make sure to take the list to the doctors office when you talk to him/her about this. I don't know what IF is (infertility)?

It sounds as if you need some time and a lot of information to make a decision. The ladies here are all wonderful! If you want some real life chit chat, pop into the chat room. I have been in there and besides getting a lot of information and support.. you will find women who are or have been in the same position as you.. or know someone who has. You can also go in there and vent your anger and frustrations (just be nice about it) LOL We also have a little bit of fun in there, so it's not totally hyster chat. I wish I had more advice for you.

Make sure to check out this whole site. I come in here very often and read all sorts of posts and chat. There are also some very good links on here and stories, etc on the homepage (use the drop down menues). There is also a search box at the top of each page that you can use to find specific information. You have come to the right place and let us know how you are doing and what you decide to do. We will be here for you every step of the way!

big 's

P.S. Feel free to private message me.
Unread 03-10-2002, 07:25 PM

Hi, Rhonda,

I'm not a doctor, so I can't offer you medical advice. I will share my personal experience, and possibly an opinion or two.

I, too, endured years of unsuccessful infertility treatment. I think that only those who have been through infertility treatment, resulting in empty arms, can understand how that feels. Please accept my sympathy. I truly understand the feeling of being "all examined out."

My periods became irregular, and got heavier and heavier. I had extremely heavy vaginal bleeding, lasting for months without end. I had to use overnite pads, because nothing else would do the job. I became anemic, and had to have blood transfusions. My life began to revolve around bleeding. Many days, I couldn't leave my house, and sometimes I couldn't even leave the bathroom. If I did go out, I had to pack "supplies" and a change of clothing.

Over the years, I saw a total of three doctors. I tried Provera, Aygestin, and other hormonal treatments. I had several minor surgical procedures. Nothing helped with the bleeding. I was diagnosed with fibroids, endometriosis, and mild cervical dysplasia. Finally, the third doctor I saw agreed to perform a hysterectomy.

I had a TVH/BSO. I recovered for six weeks, during which time I rested, drank lots of water, walked, and rested some more. My major complaint during my recovery was extreme fatigue.

After six weeks, my energy returned. I can now plan day-long activities, and enjoy them with no fear of bleeding. I pass the feminine hygiene aisle in the store, and I laugh! My quality of life has improved dramatically. For me, hysterectomy was the right choice.

I've never regretted trying other options, before choosing hysterectomy. Hysterectomy is major surgery, which requires six to eight weeks for initial healing. Complete healing takes six months to a year. Some women experience complications.

Here's the opinion part: I'd advise any woman who's considering hysterectomy to get at least two medical opinions first. Most doctors will suggest non-invasive treatment first, and that's a good thing. Hysterectomy should be the last resort, after other options have been tried. It can't be reversed, and it is forever.

Hystersisters is a great place to start looking for information. The pulldown menus on the home page are full of helpful information. It helped me a lot to read posts from other women, when I was making my decision about surgery.

I'm a Hostess on the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives forum, and if you need information about other procedures or medications, we'll be glad to help you.

Only you, with the help of your doctor(s) can make the decision about treatment for your medical problems. Good luck to you, and welcome to Hystersisters.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 10:21 AM
welcome!

Hi, Rhonda! 's and welcome to HysterSisters! The latest study found that women who took fertility drugs had no increase in ovarian cancer due to those drugs. However, the fact of being infertile can in itself cause a higher risk of ov cancer. You can let your dr make the decision during surgery, when he/she can visually examine your ovaries and see if they look healthy. My ovaries were not healthy (atrophic, with cysts, and probably barely functioning), so my dr removed them. I really was borderline for ov cancer risk, so I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about that now. (I started menstruating before age 12, had first baby after age 30, and had infertility problems.) Some women have difficulty finding the right type and dose of HRT to make them feel good, but I've felt great on Estrace. I think with all your uterine/ovary trouble over these years, you may feel so much healthier and happier after a hyst--I know I feel much better. You can post in the Aching Hearts board, too, where sisters are grieving their loss of fertility, having babies, etc. We'll be here to support you if you decide a hyst is your best option. Best wishes to you!
Ruthie
Unread 03-11-2002, 01:02 PM

HI Rhonda!
Looks like you are not too far from me as I'm in Gilbert! I am 37 yrs old also and have dealt with IF as well. I'm new to this site as of last week.

I have surgery scheduled for April 22, not sure yet what they'll be doing. I have stage 3 endo and want a LAVH but the 2nd Dr I went to thinks a TAH would be better so he can get to all the endo. Waiting on insurance approval right now.

I know what you mean about being examined out! If you're like me, you've had SO many vag u/s, tests, tx and b/w that you're ready to scream! And I didn't suffer as long as you. Although I did have success with my 3rd IUI.

I have constant pain, bleeding that lasts for weeks on end now, been on bcps for over 10 months straight and it won't surpress me at all. I'm SO sick of all this.

I would love to hear from you. It would be great to find someone near me to go thru this with.

I had a lap about 4 yrs ago and it was pretty much no biggy to me either...just the whole anticipation was hard. But this is a bigger deal so I'm already nervous! I too wonder about the sex issue afterwards. I've read a ton on info on this site and elsewhere on the internet. I just starting chatting two days ago and it's very cool to get people's opinions right away.

Please email me sometime or contact me here! KimAZ
azmomx3@cox.net
Unread 03-11-2002, 01:32 PM

Hey neighbor!!! I'm in Phoenix too!!

I had a TAH BSO in June of 2001. It was the best thing I've ever done! I knew I had PCOS. I have had periods last an entire month before. When they did the hysterectomy on me, they discovered I also had endo.

I simply love my gyn. She was incredible, knowledgeable, caring and understanding. If I didn't have her, I don't know if I would have gone through with the surgery. But, I'm glad I did.

You may want to make an appointment with your doctor and discuss all of your concerns so you can make a better informed decision about what is right for you!

Take care and best wishes,
Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register