Scheduled dVH/RALH Finally letting go | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally letting go Finally letting go

Unread 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Finally letting go

I posted in the newbie forum but thought I'd start my second post in this thread since I finally scheduled my hyster for the end of March. I'm filled with emotion already and am feeling nervous, sad, and anxious. Here's the backstory on me:

I am 48 yr old and have had 'period' problems pretty much since I started at age 11. In my 20's, and in my 1st marriage, I tried unsuccessfully to get pregnant to term), had 13 IUIs (intra-uterine inseminations) and one miscarriage. I had "unexplained infertility" but was told I had mild endometriosis.

Fast forward to early 30's (and a divorce) and I started having huge issues with bleeding, huge clots, cramps, etc. I was diagnosed with fibroids and had my first myometectomy in 1998 (thinking that I might try to get pregnant again). Well, that never happened as I resorted to the fact that I didn't want to go through the roller-coaster ride of infertility in my 2nd marriage as I was approaching my late 30's. The first myomectomy seemed to help for 10 years...then I had a second myomectomy in 2008 to, once again, remove plaguing fibroids. I wasn't emotionally prepared for a hyster at the time and my doc thought I would be entering menopause any time and that my periods would subside. Well...the fact that I'm posting here means that didn't happen. And, my doctor warned me after my 2nd myomectomy that she was unable to remove all of my fibroids and they could possibly rear their ugly heads again which is the case as of late.

Since October of last year, I've been having periods from hell - heavy bleeding and extreme, debilitating pain in my sides and lower back. The gushing is unbelievable and the pain is crazy. I can tolerate some pain but this is horrible. I've had two ultrasounds and the fibroids are multiplying as I have seven. My doc also thinks my endometriosis is getting worse too hence the pain.

So...yep, the hysterectomy discussion has begun with my doc - it's time. She wants to do a DaVinci lap hyster and I have 5-6 weeks to mentally prepare. That's the thing, I've had surgeries before (myomectomies, thumb surgery) but this surgery is...different.

I'm a bit nervous and scared and I think it's because I feel like I'm losing part of my womanhood as funny as that sounds. My uterus has been nothing but trouble for the past 20+ and for lack of a better word, has disappointed me. :sad: I guess because of the fact that I never was able to have children.

As mentioned, I have time to mentally prepare for letting go of my uterus. Hopefully my nerves and anxiety will turn into relief at some point knowing I don't have to endure the painful periods anymore, just not quite there yet.

I'm also a runner and am bummed that I won't be able to run for 8 weeks, however, my doc said after 4 weeks I can at least start on an exercise bike to start ramping my cardio up for when I can return to running.

Sorry for the long post - just wanted to introduce my story more and am glad I found this website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Re: Finally letting go

You and I have very similar stories. 20+ years of issues, multiple surgeries, fertility issues...I too am a runner. I am scheduled on the 1st and am letting go too. Having also just come through a bout with breast cancer I am disappointed and sad as well in the biological parts that make me woman. I am learning this is a grieving process.

You are right. This surgery is just different and while many tell me I will be so grateful when it is done because I will feel better...almost all of them are moms. *sigh*

Hugs to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register