Anyone have a complex cyst that turned out to be cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have a  complex cyst that turned out to be cancer? Anyone have a complex cyst that turned out to be cancer?

Unread 02-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Anyone have a complex cyst that turned out to be cancer?

Has this been the case for anyone?
I have a large complex that's been hanging around for over a year among other things. Surgery scheduled for 2/22/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2016, 02:18 AM
Anyone have a complex cyst that turned out to be cancer?

Wow I have not read anywhere about a misdiagnosis like this.

Have you tried the other forums on this site regarding cancer?

That's a long time for a misdiagnosis.

Sending you a great big (((hug)))

Wishing you all the best and s speedy recovery 😊
Unread 02-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Re: Cancer misdiagnosed as complex cyst

(((Jo Riley))) Very often cysts are "just" cysts, even ones that might seem somewhat suspicious. Has your doctor mentioned the possibility this might be a malignancy? If so, have you had any other testing done (CA125?). If gyn cancer is suspected or diagnosed, we do recommend consulting a gynecological oncologist, if possible, as they are the experts in this area.

We do have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out as well. There's lots of great information and experienced ladies willing to help.

Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2016, 09:34 AM

Mine has not been misdiagnosed I was wondering if this has happen to any one
So sorry for the confusion
Unread 02-12-2016, 11:33 AM

I had what was called a complex hemorrhagic cyst diagnosed by ultrasound and when they removed my ovary during surgery that is exactly what it turned out to be. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking but my complex cyst was just that....a complex cyst and not cancer. My initial ultrasound that discovered this cyst was done in February 2015 and I could not have the surgery to to remove it until December 2015 so there was quite a bit of time for me also before they were actually able to get a look at it to make sure it was just a complex cyst.
Unread 02-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Re: Anyone have a complex cyst that turned out to be cancer?

Hi Jo Riley -

I had a very large complex ovarian cyst (12x9x11 cm), as well as multiple uterine fibroids. For me, there was a cancer concern, and my surgeon was a gyn onc. He was also necessary due to the size of the cyst - they are more skilled. My CA125 was normal, but my OVA1 was elevated. I had open abdominal surgery with 6-inch vertical incision. All was tested in the OR and all was benign. I did loose everything, though - uterus, cervix and both tubes and ovaries.

Unread 02-12-2016, 08:24 PM

Hi
I had large ovarian cysts that kept continuing to grow they were watching for almost a year. I had actually been having them off and on for last 5 years and was getting ultrasounds every couple of months. About 7 months ago my Ca 125 was high and was repeated often over a 7 month span. It turned out I had cysts and extensive endo which was causing my CA 125 to be high. I have history of breast cancer but everything turned out benign. If your doctor suspects cancer have a GYN Oncologist do surgery because if they do find it that is who would have the experience to remove it and stage it. Most cysts turn out to be benign tho. Good luck on your surgery!
Unread 02-12-2016, 09:51 PM

I had complex cysts on both ovaries, with septations, irregular walls, and blood flow as well as a rising CA125. 315 before surgery. As well as a strong family history of breast cancer which is related to ovarian cancer. I was referred to an oncologist just in case and was told I had as much as a 30% chance of it being cancerous, yet none of the 3 doctors I saw really thought it was cancer. It was scary for sure and we basically prepared for the worst and hoped for the best. It turned out to be extensive endometriosis. The surgery was intense, but my surgeon was very skilled and was even able to save one ovary. I do not have cancer, woohoo!

If they've known about your cyst for over a year then I think you're probably pretty safe. Ovarian cancer tends to be aggressive and fast growing, they wouldn't just let it be if they were concerned. Get a second, and even third opinion. Definitely see an oncologist if you have the option, they are much more skilled surgeons on the whole. I am so glad I had an oncologist do my surgery, the two docs before gave me no hope of saving an ovary and one even told me I could not have it done laparoscopically.

I know it's hard not to worry. I even had wigs and scarves picked out for when I had to have chemo, I was so convinced I had cancer! Hang in there. Find a doctor you trust, and be at peace with your decision. My thoughts and prayers are with you. It's probably just a complex cyst and you're going to be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register