What's your fibroid size? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's your fibroid size? What's your fibroid size?

Unread 03-26-2004, 11:58 AM
What's your fibroid size?

Dear Ms Tilly,
Thanks for posting, I'm glad you are actually OK. I was reading a few other threads last night where some of the replies were getting a little snarly, and I was afraid to ask a question for fear of offending someone. I know we are all feeling miserable, and I didn't want that to happen to this thread! So, that is just me and my hormones acting selfishly!
Feeling better now, and thank you,
akita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 12:13 PM

No problem, I actually posted somewhere else today that I'm PMS and Pre-OP...basically a basket case today, so maybe I was coming off a little harsh.

You can't please all the people all of the time. Shrug.

Unread 03-26-2004, 01:30 PM
fibroid size

hello and welcome to me, laura. well, i just found out that I am having surgery on the 19th april for two large fibroids. i don't know about these sizes, but my doctor told me today that i went from 269cc to 1900cc in two years! wow. i am sure that it doesn't mean cm. anyone have a conversion chart?

anyhow, i am so looking forward to not feeling pregnant anymore. i really did think that i was just getting fat! but why in just one area? oh well. listen, my mom had her hysterectomy when she was 40 and said that it was the best thing she ever did for herself. i am so glad to find you all. laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2004, 03:07 PM

Hi Laura,

I'm searching on the conversion chart now, so far I've found this....

Abbreviation = Unit of Measurement

cc or cm³ = cubic centimeter (cm³ is standard)
cm = centimeter

I've got math geeks working on this...hopefully be right back with an answer
Unread 03-26-2004, 03:16 PM

I'm fairly certain that if I went from not having a large tumor, to having a huge one pop up in 24 hours I'd notice the change, but the slow growing fibroids...I mean really.

I'm sorry you are offended about this..but this is really how it happened for me. Unlike you, I had NO idea I had anything like that in my belly. I had a pap test about 2 years ago and a nurse did it for me, I had a belly then but she never mentioned a fibroid. I don't remember her doing an abdominal exam either.
Call me ignorant but I didn't know.
It was this way: I go to the gyn for a pap smear and he looks at me and tells me: there's something growing in there and we have to get it checked out right now...it could be large fibroid (I had no idea what a fibroid was at the time!!!), enlarged bladder or ovarian cancer. I lived with this for a week...just worrying sick.
I went back and he gives me the results of the ultrasound saying that it was a huge fibroid of 14cm at the time and that I had to get a hysterectomy.
I had no clue.
I'm VERY grateful to have found hystersisters as it reassured me somewhat that I WILL be ok.

It didn't just pop out in 24 hours, it was slow growing for years I suspect but I didn't go for yearly pap test and the ones doing the paps where nurses in the military.
Unread 03-26-2004, 03:17 PM

So if the centimeter raised to the third power makes a CC, then this is what we came up with.

10cm³ = 1,000cc
11cm³ = 1,331cc
12cm³ = 1,728cc
13cm³ = 2,197cc

Based on those numbers, that would mean you are somewhere above 12cm. BUT, before you go with my conversion, what size did they say your uterus is?

Has anyone else done conversions from cc to cm before?
Unread 03-26-2004, 03:22 PM

Hi Brigitte,

That was my whole point! None of us went from nothing to something in 24 hours!!!

So how would we? could we? know???

OK, to everyone reading the post I RETRACT that I am offended. I'm NOT offended by any of the women on hyster sisters or their posts. What I was annoyed with were the insensitive jerks in our lives that have made comments surrounding our conditions.
Unread 03-26-2004, 03:22 PM

I just found this website today and have to say that I feel better than I have since the PA asked if I was ever "planning on having any children". I have a hysterectomy scheduled on April 23rd and from reading all of your messages, realize that there is a lot more that I need to find out.

I was diagnosed with DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) breast cancer a little over a year ago and had surgery February 13, 2003 (happy valentine's day to me). Since then I have been undergoing reconstruction and concentrating on that. I was pretty bummed when I went to the OB/GYN at the advice of my oncologist since I was having really strange affects from the Tamoxifin and found that I have a "huge" uterus (their terminology) with numerous fibroids that have my uterus at the 15 week stage.

I have just turned 39 and have a ways to go before menopause. But with the early breast cancer, no family history (adopted) and an ever growing tummy, I opted for the hysterectomy (plus I don't want another endrometrial biopsy EVER). After my genetic testing came back negative, I think I've decided to keep my ovaries if I can. I am unable to take any hormones due to the breast cancer.

You have all given me tons to think about and I want to thank you in advance for all of your help and advice!!!
Unread 03-26-2004, 03:28 PM

Ms Tilly...
Sorry, I should have kept reading down but I got stopped at the "you were offended" post. I just had to reply.
I didn't mean to sound snarly either (blame it on the lupron), I really wasn't. I was just trying to convince people that I was either really dumb and not in touch with my own body.
No really, all kidding aside, I am queen procrastinator and that will surely kill me if I don't change my ways.
I thought I was putting on weight but why just around the belly? oh well, I must be shaped this way. dumb, dumb, dumb!
Unread 03-26-2004, 03:42 PM

In my work, we convert ml's (same as cc) to grams 1:1. So, based on that conversion grams to pounds, your fibroid mass grew from 0.59 lb to 4 lbs.

I had my TAH on 3/18. I don't know the weight, but my uterus was the size of a small cantaloupe with scattered lumps and bumps. I know preop, I could easily feel them across my whole abdomen. My surgeon managed to remove it through a bikini incision. It's been 8 days now and I'm so thankful I finally made the decision to have the surgery. I've been very pleased with my recovery. Good luck to all of you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register