At my wits end!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At my wits end!!!!! At my wits end!!!!!

Unread 06-13-2006, 09:24 PM
At my wits end!!!!!

First off...I am sorry that this is so long.
I have basically been in bed except for the dr appointments and this past Sunday I went to a birthday lunch with my DBF at his sister's house. I did not do a thing while I was there except sit around. They would not even let me carry my own plate.
Well I had to go to the Dr again today for yet my 3rd unscheduled appointment. I am 2-1/2 weeks post op and will be finishing up my 2nd round of antibiotics tomorrow for a UTI.
I have been experiencing an excrutiation pain in my lower right side that literally puts me in the fetal position. This has happened 3 times in the past 5 days. It can last anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes. Also, for the last 3 or 4 days I have woken up with pain in the right side of my back. Basically what is happening is that I have pain in the right side of my back that wraps around the front and travels all the way down to my vagina. So I did call the dr and they had me come in. She did not do an exam or even recheck my urine but gave me another prescription for antibiotics to take for 4 wks when I finish the 2nd round tomorrow. She thinks it is a chronic UTI. She told me that she had my urine from the catheter sent for culture becasue (her words) it looked really merky and she wasn't used to seeing urine that looked like that. The culture was negative. The culture that they sent out when I went to dr 5 days post op was negative also but positive for E Coli bacteria in urine so said it was UTI. OK, so on top of this, I told her that sometimes when I urinate there is a sediment of some sort in the bottom of the comode. At first I thought that it was maybe discharge but I started cleaning myself before I urinate to see if it still happens and it does. Not everytime I urinate but at least 1 time a day. As far as the pain, I am on a fentanyl patch, due to other medical conditions, that delivers a continual dose of this med into my system so I technically shouldn't feel much pain. For those that do not know, Fentanyl is the top of the class that Morphine is in. It is used mainly for cancer patients. I have also had to take some of the vicodine the past few days because the pain was so bad.
Anyway, I am at my wits end. I don't know what to do. I don't know which is worrying me more, the pains or the fatigue and complete lack of energy. I told my Step-Dad that if that severe pain hits me again, I might just have them take me to the ER. Am I just being overly concerned or shouldn't she have done blood work or urinalysis or exam or something?
Has anyone else experienced this type of pain or symptoms? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2006, 09:58 PM
At my wits end!!!!!

I don't think you are being overly concerned at all! If I were in that kind of pain I'd be at the ER right away! So many things can happen with a surgery! How did e.coli get into your urine? I think it might be good to go to the ER and see what they say -- or to another doctor. I don't think it's normal to need that much pain medication... and I would want to rule out any serious problems right away!
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:36 PM
At my wits end!!!!!

It sounds as if the infection has moved into your kidneys. E coli is normal in your intestines and is the most common cause of UTI's in women because of the proximity of the outlets. Has your doctor tried you on any of the bladder spasm drugs like pyridium? Also, what antibiotics have you taken? I had a UTI post op that turned into a kidney infection. I was on Macrobid at first which helped but didn't clear it up completely. The doctor then put me on Levaquin to make sure it was gone for good. Haven't had any further problems. I was having horrible pain too and initially thought it was from the surgery. Within a couple of hours of starting the pyridium I was pain free. You can get it over the counter as Uristat, but I would check with your doc before taking it. If it doesn't help, then I would get a referral to a urologist or go to the ER to make sure you don't have kidney stones. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2006, 11:24 PM
At my wits end!!!!!

Thank you both for your thoughts. I had an appointment, or at least thought I did, with my chronic pain dr this morning. After signing in and waiting about 10 minutes, they told me my appointment was rescheduled until next week. I completely forgot. I was going to ask the PA or RN for their advice. They are always so good to me. Anyway, my step-dad took me to meet my dd for a dr appt and I completely forgot to call my regular dr. Today is the first day that I have had any energy so I know I overdid it. I went to Walmart with my Mom and dd and rode around in one of the motorized carts. Still this evening I have several new pains. My DBF came over to take me to dinner and stay with me. He tried to get me to go ahead and call the dr but I told him I would wait until they were back in the office.Well, after we went to bed, I got up to go to the bathroom and 2 of my laproscopic incisions are now pretty red and one of them was ozing a little blood. They had been looking really good except each one had a little knot under it. I had the same thing when I had the exploritory and it was a stitch so I assumed that is what the knots were this time. What next????

Anyway Ashrn, I started out on KFlex and when I finished that, they started me on Cipro, which I finished this am and then started on Macrobid this pm. The only thing is that the literature for the Macrobid states that you should not take it if you have Kidney infection!!!! Go figure.

I am going to call my primary dr when her office opens tomorrow (today) to see if she will talk to me on the phone. Her office is about 35 miles from me and the highway to get there is pretty wavy and very uncomfortable to ride down right now.

Everyone's thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register