starting to panic - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

starting to panic starting to panic

Unread 05-14-2001, 12:54 PM
Nervous before operation?

I am 9 weeks post-op and wish that I had found this site beforehand. I knew going in that I was going to have a hysterectomy and possibly my right ovary removed. I ended up with everything being removed and on HRT immediately. For me, the pain of each period was far worse than the pain after surgery, so I can't say how bad it truly was. The demerol the first two days made me totally nauseous, so even the pain felt better. I am a devoted coffee drinker, so the pain from caffeine withdrawal and pain in my back was much worse than the pain in my stomach area. I had a wonderful ob/gyn and nursing staff that made me feel like they were on my team which helped a lot! I had a lot of support from family & friends, but no one who had ever had similar problems or surgery, so this site is a blessing. I've always believed that there is a reason for everything that happens prior to this, but now I know that sometimes things just happen that you have to accept and move on in life from. Even if you don't have friends or family that can truly relate to you on this, lean on them for support and let them know what they can do for you and don't be afraid to ask! I had a speedy and relatively painless recovery even with being diabetic and am convinced that acceptance and moving forward with my life was a major factor ! The fact that I would no longer have major pain also helped, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2001, 01:45 PM
starting to panic

I just want to add one thing here...you are NOT being a baby because you are scared!!!! You are being a sensible grown woman! Babies don't have to deal with all of their responsibilities being taken care of by other people, or face the fear of surgery and anesthesia and the fear of pain and loss of control!!!

If we weren't terrified before surgery, I would think there WAS something wrong with us. It's ok to be afraid...it's normal, and it's part of the experience.

As others have said, the pain we face day to day is usually far worse than what we will have post-op. Just stay ahead of what pain you do have by taking your meds on schedule, drinking lots, walking, and RESTING.

We're all here for you!!! Hang in there..and DON'T feel bad for being scared!!!!

Karen
Unread 05-14-2001, 02:00 PM
it's all relative...

Well, I've got 21 days to go. But I'm leaving on vacation a week from tomorrow (Florida), so that will be a nice big distraction.

I've had a lapaparoscopy and other surgery. The lap was 30 years ago. The pain, for me was moderate, but it was exploratory which may have helped. I actually had to get on an airplane the day after they let me out of the hospital. We all got on the plane, and I was doing okay and then they made us all get off because of the fierce winter weather. Suddenly, I was not okay and walking at a ninety degree angle. We sat around an hour and a half and then got back on the plane. I was in a haze of pain killers that wasn't knocking down the pain. So, it can always be worse!

My most painful surgery was a RBSO - necessary because of a ruptured tubal pregnancy. Considering the pain I was in going into surgery, the surgery seemed mild. I think the ladies are right, if you're in a lot of pain pre-op, surgery is an improvement. And just think, once the surgery pain leaves, you're home free!

Good luck, I'm thinking of all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2001, 02:29 PM
starting to panic

Hi There!!!!
I find it helps me to concentrate on the goal not the journey!~ The goal being-to live a normal painfree life again and feel good!
There are things we learn from the journey too, but to keep the goal in mind really calms me down.
I pray for you a big rainbow at the end of all this rain with shining skies and a lovely "walk in the park".
You will be fine. You are the one who decides your levels of fear. You are in control.
We are all scared somewhat, so that is not an option-but you have an option on how much you let the fear control you. You can and will get through this. God loves you and gave you the stregth to do it.
I will pray for peace for you!
Love Peanut
Unread 05-14-2001, 03:12 PM
starting to panic

Hey ladies, What a neat web site. I must admit I never thought to look on the web for support. I go in for my procedure on Friday May 18th.

Starting to panic is an understatement......

I just want to get through this, I have no idea what I am getting into.

My Dr. has advised me that I will go in for surgery in the morning and that my recovery time is two weeks, most women I have talked to say that this is a mis-statement and that it will take me a good 6 weeks.

HELP! I do not want to be down for 6.

any experiences you may have would be appreciated.

Having fun
Unread 05-14-2001, 03:54 PM
Having Fun...

Hi and welcome...

You don't mention what kind of hyster you are having, but I don't think your doctor is being very realistic if he's saying two weeks!!! Vaginal or abdominal, the internal work is the same, and 6 to 8 weeks is the norm. Not to say you will be "down", but you will want to be resting and reclining for the better part of the first few weeks at least. I returned to work after 8 weeks, and still had to cut out early!!

Please read the pull down menus on the home page for other sisters' stories...you will get a good cross section of recovery stories there and also on this board.

Keep reading and posting!!!

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register