Going to surgery alone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going to surgery alone? Going to surgery alone?

Unread 01-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Going to surgery alone?

I did a quick search of the forums, but have not been able to find anything related to this issue, so I hope someone has a suggestion.

First - is it possible to go through this entire procedure alone? I have absolutely no one - no family, no local friends to go with me to the hospital. I can drive myself there, and will stay overnight, but I have to figure out getting home. I've considered trying to find a "service" for this type of thing, if I have to, but that could be cost prohibitive. Do hospitals/doctors even do surgery knowing you have no one there?

Second - let's say I can do this by myself. I know not to take valuables but I'm worried about where to leave my personal belongings, especially my phone, while I'm in surgery and recovery.

Most of the time being alone isn't a bad thing, until something like this comes up...

Has anyone gone through any type of hospital stay without a friend or family member nearby? Suggestions on how to make it happen?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Re: Going to surgery alone?

((( hugs))) where are you...I could come help you it is difficult but everything is possible...maybe a taxi? The hosp peeps will take you out to the taxi. Do u have stairs to navigate? How will u manage meds etc? Can u hire someone for a week or two? Take care!
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:46 PM

While I wouldn't go sharing personal info like an address, your doctor may be able to help you find someone.

You can also look at any coworkers or acquaintances who may have had a hysterectomy in the past. I know that I wouldn't let anyone go it alone if I knew they needed help.

Depending on your surgery, you should be okay with enough preparation after the first day or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2014, 08:21 PM

Thanks so much for the responses! I think once I get home I will be fine. Even my doc said so, as long as I have two weeks of groceries and supplies on hand. My house is one floor, so no stairs. I think just keeping my belongings safe during surgery and recovery, and then getting home afterward are my biggest concerns. I will have plenty of phone and email support - just no one physically here. And yes, I have even considered a taxi! There is also a "senior assistance" service in town… sheesh… but I'm 51 and a runner, so I don't feel I quite qualify as "senior", but if they will do it, I guess that's an option
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:39 PM

Hi hdplayer -

Here is an article that discusses recovery from this surgery while living alone:
Living Alone and Recovering from Hysterectomy

I believe the hospitals will not release you without a driver. Having a coworker help out is a great idea. Neighbors are also willing to lend a hand. You might be quite surprised as to how helpful people can be.

Unread 01-26-2014, 04:19 AM

I was happy to read your post and have wondered the same thing...I am not quite alone but hate the thought of inconveniencing people. I thought of taxing a taxi home from hospital but just got paperwork from my doc and it says right in there that you must go home with a "responsible adult"...even if you take a taxi, another adult must be with you or they ask you to reschedule surgery! So there went my taxi idea too. It even says "a responsible adult must spend the first 24 hours with you". Wow.

But the greatest thing also happened last week...a lot of people know I am scheduled for this and one person out of the blue emailed me and offered to help me the first week, including rides to and from the hospital. Honestly at first I said no (!) because she has her own life and responsibilities but then I reconsidered. I think it can be done alone and I also think it is easier with help and who am I to stop someone who wants to help. I mention this to remind you to make sure people around you know. You never know if someone's heart will be moved to make such an offer of help.
Unread 01-26-2014, 04:37 AM

Regarding keeping your belongings safe whilst in surgery, very often there are lockers by each bed with a key. That way you can lock everything up and ask one of the nurses to hang onto the key. Failing that, the nursing staff must have somewhere for their own personal items and they will probably be happy to store your valuables with their items for a short period of time.

I think being on your home alone post-op should work just fine as long as you plan, plan, plan. Have everything you might need to hand somewhere at waist height so no bending or stretching. I would for sure get a long handled grabber stick. Vital - as you would be surprised what flings itself onto the floor when you need it :-)

Stock the fridge with long life milk and fruit and the freezer with oodles of ready meals.

Good luck!
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:05 AM

Thanks again for all the great replies!

I'm not worried about the at-home part. My doc said I might even heal faster just caring for myself, because it would be a lot less stressful. I completely agree. Finding a way home and securing my phone during surgery were my biggest concerns. I'm having laparoscopic surgery, so I hope I will be much better off afterward than I have been lately trying to function with this debilitating pain - barely able to walk many days - for the last six months.

I've not had my pre-op meeting yet, so I am going ask all these question, but I'm glad I posted here first because it brought some things to mind. I will definitely ask about lockers for belongings and, since co-workers or neighbors are not options, I am looking into a transport service.

You all have been great! Thanks!
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:41 AM

Have water bottles ready where u can reach them...so u don't have to get back and refill your cup during the day or night...keep tissues handy and your phone chargers by you- also have your doctors office number on your speed dial good luck!!
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM

I'm single, live alone and my surgery was in another city, so I took the bus. I brought my stuff in a back pack. (I had a TAH and was told I'd have a 3-4 day hospital stay.) When I was rolled out of the prep area heading for the OR, my back pack stayed behind. When I woke up, it was in my hospital room. I have no idea where it was in the meantime.

I brought minimal valuables with me, although I did have my credit card and my provincial insurance ID in my wallet. When the nurse left me alone to change, I stowed the wallet inside a package of sanitary pads I'd brought with me and then stowed the package of pads underneath my spare underwear in the pack. Then I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. I'd suggest doing the same with your phone - or possible buying a burner phone for the occasion.

Re: getting home, I had plenty of offers from friends, co-workers and neighbours to give me a ride home! One of the friends lives in the city where the surgery took place, so I took her up on her offer. She ended up going above and beyond, visiting me every day while I was in the hospital and keeping my sister in the States updated on how I was doing. (Sis happily took charge of notifying the rest of the family.) When I was released, she carried my pack back to her truck, drove me home and checked to see that I was okay before leaving.

I'd scrubbed up the apartment, done laundry, stocked up on groceries, etc. before surgery. I'd also arranged with my upstairs neighbour to look after my cats while I was in the hospital. We agreed that when I got home, I would call her if I got into trouble - or just pound on the wall if I couldn't make it to the phone. So when she heard my apartment door open on the day I got released and looked out her window to see a strange truck in our driveway, she came downstairs to see what was up - bringing fresh whole wheat rolls she'd bought at a farmer's market that morning.

I had an easy and very relaxing recovery. I had no trouble taking care of myself and found it very nice indeed to be able to eat, nap, etc. what I wanted, when I wanted, where I wanted without explanations. I would have been fine on the groceries I'd stocked up on, but also friends, co-workers and neighbours brought buy all kinds of stuff or had it delivered, including two fruit baskets and a vegetable basket!

*Note*: when accepting delivery of baskets at the door, do *not* let the delivery guy hand them to you. They're heavy! Explain you've just had major surgery and ask him to bring them inside and set them down some place convenient to you. I had the fruit baskets set down next to me computer for easy noshing. ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register