I Have A Surgey Date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Have A Surgey Date I Have A Surgey Date

Unread 04-05-2002, 06:15 AM
I Have A Surgey Date

Hi :

I finally heard from my and the surgery has been scheduled for April 15th at 11:00am. Now I am starting to worry alittle. I hope I am doing the right thing. I am pretty sure that I am but I guess it is normal to :worry: I am having everything removed by a LAVH. I have had bleeding on 2 weeks off 2 weeks for months and alot of pelvic pain. I also have PCOS and all that comes with that which is the reason that my ovaries have to go we (meaning the Dr. and I) feel that is what is causing my pelvic pain and to leave them would be a chance we would take on maybe going back in later and taking them out and I don't want to go through this again. Sex is almost to the point of stopping because I just can't stand the pain anymore. I am 29years old and have 3 children. I appreciate any support that I can get from you guys. Is there anything special that I should take to the hospital? What can I expect from this surgery? As far as pain and recovery time? Anything that I should ask at my pre-op appt?

Thanks again I just cannot say how much this website has helped me.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 06:28 AM
I Have A Surgey Date

Hi Lisa,
Hang in there and try to stay calm. You'll do fine. You'll be so surprised at how much better you'll feel 6 months from now. I'm at that point now and would do it again in an instant! I feel great all the time now and I never have to "schedule" sex around my period problems.

As for what to bring to the hospital.. there's a list on this website; you can find it on the home page. But my suggestion for pre-op questions is to ask about the options for anesthesia. I had general anesthesia with an epidural. The epidural is mainly for after the surgery so that they can pump pain meds directly into the mid area of your body. This reduces the amount they have to give, but relieves pain in that area. It allowed me to get up and around and walk within a day of my surgery. If you are taking any medication daily for anything, get specific instructions on when or if you should take your meds the day before or the morning of the surgery. And ask when or if you will be taking HRT. I got a patch the morning after my surgery and experienced only one night of severe hot flashes, etc. But some women elect not to go on HRT.

As for having three kids, you didn't say what age, but at 29 they can't be too old. Let them know that although you will look pretty good on the outside, you will be healing on the inside for at least 6 weeks and that you won't be able to do any lifting or pushing or pulling for that amount of time. Ask for their help by picking up after themselves and letting you sleep when you need to, etc. Depending on their ages, maybe they might take on some laundry or dishwashing duties to help out your husband (since he'll have to take on all of those duties while you recover).

If at all possible, get "live-in" help for the first 2-3 weeks via relatives of friends that can stay with you. They will be a big help. My husband is retired and it was a good thing, because he took care of me for 3 weeks pretty much.

Keep reading the posts in pre-op and post-op. Questions will be answered that you might not have thought about.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register