Hysterectomy tomorrow (1/7), need help asap please! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy tomorrow (1/7), need help asap please! Hysterectomy tomorrow (1/7), need help asap please!

Unread 01-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Hysterectomy tomorrow (1/7), need help asap please!

I'm really beginning to get scared about surgery tomorrow. Can any of you who've been through the DaVinci surgery tell me how they give you the meds to go to sleep (spinal block, IV, pills, oxygen mask, ect) and also if I will be okay going through the surgery while having a cold and sore throat? I've been trying everything to get this cold gone and it's not working. Now it's the say before surgery and I can't eat or anything and I have to take all the laxatives all day. Should I just reschedule the surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2015, 06:09 AM
Hysterectomy tomorrow (1/7), need help asap please!

I was given an injection in my hand just before I was taken into the OR. It really relaxed me and I was just about out to it by the time they were moving me to the OR table. In fact, I don't remember anything apart from seeing the robot and the table. As far as having a cold on the day of the surgery, it really depends on whether or not you have a fever. My temperature was quite high on the big day but I didn't have a sore throat or any obvious illness (I tend to run high when I'm really stressed - I know that sounds crazy but it always happens). My surgeon wasn't thrilled and nearly cancelled the surgery but a nurse took my temperature again and it wasn't as high as it had been during the initial prep. Everything went ahead without any major problems.

The bowel prep wasn't too bad. A bit uncomfortable but I used baby wipes instead of toilet paper. Much better for my delicate behind.

Can you call your surgeon's office to let him/her know you are not feeling well and ask for advice?

Good luck and take care.
Unread 01-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Re: Hysterectomy tomorrow (1/7), need help asap please!

I would call the dr and get their opinion too. Also, i had surgery 4 times last year, and they gave me a shot in my IV all 4 times, only once do i even remember leaving the pre op area, i barely saw in the door of the operating room!! Dont worry, they will help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2015, 03:47 PM

I'm right there with you, nervous about my surgery tomorrow too. I had pneumonia 3 weeks ago, and they told me at pre-aneasthesia that if I don't have a fever, and am not congested, I'll be fine for surgery. All cleared up now. Best to call your doctor.
Unread 01-06-2015, 03:56 PM

Contact your doctor about the throat issues. It may be that they reschedule you.
Praying for you to be relieved of all fear and persevere the way that is best for your body!
I was scared too. I was only 42 and had heard all the horror stories.
I was given my meds in my IV...and I passed out before even leaving the holding area.
I woke up-feeling SLEEPY...and I never experienced pain just pressure. I didn't use the pain meds afterwards.
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:21 PM

The surgery itself, you will not remember. They gave me something in my IV as they wheeled me to OR. Totally relaxed me and I was vaguely aware of the OR staff and that's it. Next thing I woke up in recovery with a nurse next to me. Drifted in and out and woke up finally to my husband.
Unread 01-06-2015, 06:02 PM

They also gave me something to relax before they wheeled me in. They set up an IV line in each hand so that if the first one had issues they could just use the other one without having to reposition/configure the DaVinci.

Once in the OR, they had me skooch over to the operating table. They put an oxygen mask on me, then the anesthesiologist injected the knock-out stuff into my IV. When I woke up in recovery, they gave me IV meds for pain and nausea. Can't remember what they were - may have been Dilotid (sp) and Zofran, just not sure.

I stayed overnight, and my first couple doses of pain meds were put in through my IV. But by midnight l was getting Percocet pills, Benadryl pills, some anti-inflammatory injections, nausea patch, then later, anti-nausea pills. Also got a nicotine patch (now removed) and an estrogen-only patch.

Rx meds I'm taking at home: naproxen (NSAID), percocet (for pain), ondansetron (for nausea), and waiting for the drug store to get my estrogen patch Rx filled. I may stop taking them down the road though..going to talk to her about that in my post-op appt on 1/20. Oh, and I may pick up a stool softener, since this stuff is likely to back me up.

Tee

PS: I had a tube down my throat too. You'll need lots of ice and/or water when you wake up. I was given some right away when I woke up. And I'm still quite tired.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register