daVinci for fibroids with no symptoms? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

daVinci for fibroids with no symptoms? daVinci for fibroids with no symptoms?

Unread 10-09-2011, 08:20 PM
daVinci for fibroids with no symptoms?

I have fibroids with absolutely no symptoms. I wouldn't know they were there if my doctor hadn't told me. My original gynecologist said I needed a TAH. That is the only method he does for hysterectomies. I have since sought a 2nd opinion from the ob/gyn who delivered my daughter. He suggested either uterine artery embolization or a daVinci hysterectomy. I will be having an MRI to see if I'm a candidate for UAE. I am also planning to have an ultrasound to see if I'm a candidate for daVinci. I originally thought maybe UAE is better because it's not an actual surgery but part of me wants to have the daVinci and not have to worry about ever getting another fibroid. I need to talk to my doctor again regarding which method is safer. I have seen many horror stories about the UAE on this sight. I started reading the testimonials on daVinci & it seemed like the people who had problems were people who had other issues as well (cancer, endometriosis, etc.) so I would like to hear from those of you who had the daVinci strictly for fibroids. How was the preparation, the actual time in the hospital & the recovery? The only surgery I've had was to have my wisdom teeth out in college. I have only been hospitalized to give birth. Having no symptoms made this a complete shock for me at my annual visit. That combined with my lack of hospital/surgery experience has me very anxious. Thank you so much to those of you who take the time to respond; I really appreciate your generosity & wish you well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Re: daVinci for fibroids with no symptoms?

I would get a 3rd opinion if I were you regarding having anything done at this time if you are not having any symptoms. Fibroids are unpredictable. They may stay asymptomatic or they may eventually start causing problems. Each person is different. I have had Da Vinci Hysterectomy almost 3 weeks post op. The original surgery was fine. Hardly had problems with it, however had to have further procedure due to surgeon nicking my tube to my kidney and now I have a tube in my back that drains urine into a bag. As I said before, each person is different. My condition is temporary and it will be fixed eventually. I would recommend giving this surgery a lot of thought if I wasn't having any problems.
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:43 PM

Sorry Anne, but my first thought is: really? Please reconsider your thought process. I would think there is no reason to remove fibroids unless they are giving you problems. I lived with mine for years and only considered removing them as they continued to both grow and contribute to a host of problems including painful periods with "crime scene" bleeding. I only wish I would have done that faster, I should have looked at my options when I had the time (when fibroids were first diagnosed) so I would be "prepared" when the time for action finally came (ie: the removal of 7 pounds of fibroids).

Surgery is serious. The non-invasive procedures may lessen recovery times but bring their own risks (as the poster above this shared). Why start removing body parts only to prevent problems later? Today a uterus, what tomorrow?

Get a 2nd, maybe 3rd opinion. Use this site as an eye-opener, not to cause you fear (such as what you read about UAE). Consider a plan of action, but if the fibroids are not problematic let them be. That can change at any time and then you'll be ready for action.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2011, 08:56 PM

I guess I forgot to mention that they have grown in the last year. I was originally told I had a fibroid in September 2009. Last September at my annual exam it had not grown but this year it has and there is more than one. My doctor never told me what we would need to do if they grew so I had no idea that a hysterectomy was even a possibility. I guess ignorance really is bliss because I would have been worried had I known the possibilities that lie ahead. Thanks for the replies.
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Hi Anxious Ann,

I had a hyst for two large fibroids...so I can understand some of what you are going through. It is NOT fun !!!

Generally...a hyst for fibroids is an elective surgery...so that can make the decision to have a hyst a little harder.

If you are not experiencing any symptoms with your fibroids....then don't feel rushed into making a decision about a hyst. Drs give us options...and we make the final decision when it comes to our body...so take the time you need to do all the research you can.

I had also never had a surgery before my hyst...so the prospects of having major surgery was a little daunting.

I might suggest you sit down with your Dr. at your next exam and get the dimensions of your fibroids in centimeters (cc)...if you have not already. It will give you a good idea of what size your uterus is with fibroids. One reason I opted for my hyst when I did...was I was a good candidate for a less invasive hyst. If I had done a long wait and see...my Dr. told me that most likely...my fibroids would have kept growing... and I would have only been a candidate for an abdominal hyst. So maybe a question to discuss your Dr.

In the end...just do what feels right for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes

Mary
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Hi Ann:

It's my understanding that almost every woman over 40 will have fibroids, whether symptomatic or not. Most hysts are elective, and if your fibroids are not causing any problems for you, then perhaps "watching" is a valid choice for your case.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:34 PM

Here are a few links from our articles to educate yourself about fibroids.

Fibroids - What should I do?

Fibroids - Hysterectomy the Answer?

Second Opinions - Myomectomy Instead of Hysterectomy

Myomectomy or Hysterectomy?

I hope this helps.
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:27 PM

The articles above are very useful, and resonate a lot with my experience as well. What they mention about the location of the fibroids is key: an MRI should give a decent indication about where they are. Sometimes, ones growing on the outside of the uterus cause fewer symptoms, and it's often a viable option to remove just the fibroid(s) if the positioning is good.

Did your doctor follow the "you've got fibroids" with "and I think you should treat them", or did he/she only mention options once you asked? Watchful waiting really does have its place. It wasn't a choice for me not to treat mine, because it had gotten ridiculously out-of-control large (showing up as 20 cm by 19 cm on the ultrasound!) before anyone connected the dots, but had I known and monitored, there would have been plenty of time to take action earlier if it had been necessary. And sometimes it's genuinely not necessary: they don't always keep growing.

There are also new things happening all the time: one treatment that is becoming available in more places is MrgFUS, which uses ultrasound waves (delivered in an MRI chamber) to change the nature of the fibroid tissue so it becomes smaller and less problematic.

Surgery is an option: for many, it's the best option. But there are a lot of different ways that the whole thing can play out, and you genuinely have time to find the best path for you.

Best wishes!
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatziLKF View Post
Sorry Anne, but my first thought is: really? Please reconsider your thought process. I would think there is no reason to remove fibroids unless they are giving you problems. I lived with mine for years and only considered removing them as they continued to both grow and contribute to a host of problems including painful periods with "crime scene" bleeding. I only wish I would have done that faster, I should have looked at my options when I had the time (when fibroids were first diagnosed) so I would be "prepared" when the time for action finally came (ie: the removal of 7 pounds of fibroids).

Surgery is serious. The non-invasive procedures may lessen recovery times but bring their own risks (as the poster above this shared). Why start removing body parts only to prevent problems later? Today a uterus, what tomorrow?

Get a 2nd, maybe 3rd opinion. Use this site as an eye-opener, not to cause you fear (such as what you read about UAE). Consider a plan of action, but if the fibroids are not problematic let them be. That can change at any time and then you'll be ready for action.

Good luck!
I echo Shatzilkf's comments.
I have had granulation problems after my surgery that makes it painful to have sex in any other position than missionary.
If you do not need the hysterectomy at this time (there is no pre-cancer or cancer, or no other painful or excessive bleeding problems) WHY do it at this time?

Get another opinion.
Unread 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM

I have had fibroids and endometriosis for more than years. One year ago, my Ob/GYN said he recommended that I have a total hysterectomy including my ovaries as a precaution. He said if the uterus or fibroids got much bigger, he would not be able to do it with the daVinci. I too had no problems other than some heavy, lengthy periods, but not to the extent that I was missing work or other invasive quality of life issues. I got a second opinion and that Dr asked me "why are you here?" and he would not recommend an invasive major surgery for fibroids that were not problematic. He continued to monitor me over the past year and I have since developed cysts on my ovaries and now he has recommended a TAH which I have scheduled for next month. After reading all the information on what happens to you with surgical menopause, I was not jumping up and down to have a hysterectomy and I held off as long as I could.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register