More questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More questions More questions

Unread 06-17-2007, 10:12 PM
More questions

I teach special ed. preschoolers at an elementary school. I am having my TAH/BOS with possible bladder work done on 7/26. Teachers report back on 8/10 and the kids start on 8/20. Will I be able to return to work without any problems? I have 2 aides that work with me so I won't have to lift any of the kiddos.

Also, I am a big girl and I am wondering if the swelly belly wrap thing will work on me or not?

Thanks for all the wonderful support! I think I would back out if I didn't have everyone's advice and well wishes!

You hystersisters are awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2007, 10:30 PM
More questions

Everybody is different, but I'd strongly suggest you talk with your doctor about your recovery time and going back to work. I looked at the dates you gave in your post and went back to my calendar to see what my progress was during the same timeframe. At 2 weeks I was up and getting small meals for myself but wasn't even driving yet and couldn't have imagined going back to work. At 4 weeks I was one week away from my doctor visit, which I barged into cheerfully and feeling good, but I still had soreness and was easily exhausted. I can't even imagine working with children at that point.

I think they say it's a general 6-8 week recovery period, and I took every second of it. I've heard many women say, "you only get one chance to heal" and that is good advice. You will be sore, and you will be tired, and then you'll feel like getting up and out and doing things, but you'll be frustrated at your fatigue or your pains here and there or just the general recuperation issues you're having. Please don't go back to work too soon if you can avoid it. In the long run, you'll be grateful. One day you will wake up and you'll have energy and the incision won't be tender and you'll walk with strength and you won't even feel like you had surgery. Just take care of yourself so you can get to that point without causing further complications.

I wish you the best of luck!
Unread 06-18-2007, 06:11 AM
More questions

I agree, please don't try to rush things. Talk with your dr about it but, IMO, that's way to soon to think about going back to work after such a major surgery. Especially with a room full of active kiddos.
I really appreciate what you do, I have a special needs DD. She's not in school now as she's an adult, but I know how much extra work special ed kids take - both at home and at school.

I believe the swelly belly wraps come in different sizes. Maybe you can measure yourself and see if that size is available.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2007, 06:37 AM
More questions

I would see if you could move up the surgery date. I think that is too short of a recovery period to be in a school setting. I work in a school, and I had mine done a week before school let out, knowing I would have summer to recuperate. School starts here on August 6th, and my six week mark is July 23rd, so that gives me 8 weeks recovery time. I think you should try to get your surgery moved up a bit.
Unread 06-18-2007, 08:00 AM
More questions

I agree, you only get one chance to heal... and you need to take that time to heal right.... sometimes we HAVE to think of ourselves, I know it doesn't happen often for most of us, but with this type of surgery we must put ourselves first. Definitely voice your concerns with your doc, he/she may have a better solution or idea... or like Colleen said, maybe you could move your surgery up a bit so that you are more near the end of the rough part?

Good luck on whatever choice you make. Best wishes
Unread 06-18-2007, 08:12 AM
More questions

I thinks the Drs. give us the 6 week rule for a reason. You don't want to undo everything that was done, and end up back in the hospital!!! Take every minute of the 6 weeks, and do not feel guilty!!! This is one time in your life when it is all about YOU!!!
I have had a great recovery, but could not have chased around little ones at the 2 week mark. No matter how good we think we feel, there are still good days & bad days.
I also urge you to talk to your Doc & see if the date could be moved. Good luck, and keep up posted!!

Leopard fanatic,
TAH/BSO
5/23/07

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register