Should I stand firm for what I want? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I stand firm for what I want? Should I stand firm for what I want?

Unread 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Re: Should I stand firm for what I want?

Is your pain with periods possibly caused by endometriosis? This could be why they are advocating for the removal of your cervix. My doctor will not leave a cervix when doing a hysterectomy related to endo...he has had to go back and remove too many that other doctors who do not specialize in endo have left in.

It is your choice, but if you have endo I would do some research on what leaving the cervix can mean long term for endo. To quote Weiser from many a post, "A hysterectomy does not treat endo." Leaving your cervix with endo on it can mean continued pain and symptoms, even with the rest of your uterus gone.

Added: I would do your research, find out the reason your doctor wants to remove your cervix, and make your decision from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM

I'm not sure if there is endo. It does run in the family on both sides but I've never been tested for it outside of the uterus. My uterus doesn't show any signs of endo but that doesn't mean there isn't any.

I told my doc that if she gets in there and there is endo, then to please remove the cervix and 'clean house'. But if there is no endo and the cervix is healthy, then to please leave it there.

I think that her biggest concern is that I'm having the hysterectomy because of bleeding and pain and by leaving the cervix, there will still be a chance of having a period every month. She doesn't want that for me. She wants me to be able to live a healthy life.

I've done tons of research on the subject and have read that there IS a chance of spotting every month and having some pain too. But I know that it can't be anything like what I'm dealing with now. (So tired of buying bulk hygiene products! I'm sure the people at the cash register wonder how many girls live in my house for me to buy such quantities!)

The other thing to consider is that my family goes into menopause at around 40 or 45. I'm 34 now so I have, at most, another 15 years of periods. That is a long time to have such a horrible cycle. But doesn't seem so long when I consider that there might be a chance of spotting and having a bit of a cramp every month by leaving the cervix.
And a chance that there won't be spotting or cramps.

Anyway, I will be going in for my pre-op this afternoon. I will be able to talk to my doc about everything and hopefully she will be able to do the SAH for me.

It is crazy but it seems the closer I get to the date, the more I can think of nothing else. I just wish that it was already Tuesday.

Wish me luck on the pre-op
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:38 PM

What people with regular periods don't get is a little cramping and spotting is nothing. My Dr. wants to take out my cervix so I don't have periods and paps. My thought is, well then why not just rip out everyone's cervix as soon as they are done having children? If I had normal periods I could deal with having them for years, I don't. I get so sick from anemia and I can't leave the house when I have that couple of days of heavy bleeding. It can take me a week to recover even while taking 325 mg of iron a day. Before I was taking iron I had months where I never recovered from the bleeding and was pretty much bedridden all the time.

Your surgery is the same day as mine. Good luck.
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM

I do think you should stand firm for what you want unless the physician can give you a medical reason related to your current situation.

I didn't even realize that keeping the cervix was an option until I came to this website. Since then I have done tons of research on it, including reading medical journals, and have decided I don't have a preference about keeping my cervix (I don't have vaginal or uterine orgasms). However, I do plan to discuss this with my gyn at my pre-op just to see what she says. I think I might have some fibroids close to the cervix if I remember correctly that might require removing the cervix anyway but I do intend to discuss the sexual aspect of this with her.

In my opinion, there is no right or wrong answer. Go with your gut. Sounds like you have very good reasons for wanting to keep your cervix. In that case, find a surgeon who is willing to do it. You don't get a do over with this surgery. Good luck.
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHobbit View Post
It is crazy but it seems the closer I get to the date, the more I can think of nothing else. I just wish that it was already Tuesday.

Wish me luck on the pre-op
Nothing crazy about obsessing over your surgery - I think we've all done that. I know I did and there was a thread dedicated to the subject about a month ago. After surgery, you get to obsess over your recovery!

At any rate, it sounds as if you have done all the research. I wish you luck with your pre-op appointment and surgery.

CHEERS!
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Hi again.
Well, I went to my pre-op appointment yesterday. YAY! Sometimes things just go right!

My doc did some research and WILL be able to to the LSH. I get to keep my cervix, and will only have to deal with the several smaller incisions and shorter recovery time.

I was a competitive swimmer for years and now I will be able to get back in the pool after 3 weeks. (I plan on taking it really slow...like water walking, for several weeks.) Then after 6 weeks I can start lifting weights again. (Again, I plan on working my way slowly into this. Don't want to hurt my recovery AT ALL!)

Best of all, the 'bedroom' aspect should turn out just fine. I'm so happy. My husband is thrilled too because his happy wife is back.

Have I mentioned that my doctor is wonderful? My opinion: to all those out there who really do 'click' with their doctors but aren't getting what they want as far as their hysterectomy goes, don't give up on your doc. Ask a ton of questions, get a ton of answers. Don't be afraid of getting a second opinion, but don't give up the things that are important to you unless there are medical reasons.

So glad I did stand firm. Thanks to all of you for the wonderful advice. It feels good to have 'Sisters' on the other end of this computer that are here for support
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:53 AM

Hope I can get some sleep tonight. Everyone is right, the waiting is the worst part. Just a few more days/nights. So tired but hyped up too. I just had a cup of decaf tea. Maybe a light snack and then off to bed. ZZZZZ's to all of my HysterSisters who are thinking about the next few days and not getting enough sleep
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:22 AM

I'm glad it's all working out and you're getting what you want. Sometimes you do have to stand firm if you are sure. Best wishes for an easy recovery.
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the wishes, greyown
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Heck of a day.
Went to church, came home, decided on a nap, laid in bed for 3 hours, slept for 10 minutes, still haven't finished the laundry, still haven't packed my bag... need to get ready for the Christmas play at church now. Probably won't be home until much later this evening.

I'm glad that I have one more day. Of course now I will be running from chore to bathroom to chore to bathroom tomorrow as I do my bowel prep. What fun

Actually, at this point, I don't care what gets done and what doesn't. I'm tired and grouchy and anxious. Such a joy to be around, I'm sure.

I plan on sleeping as much as possible tomorrow. (When I'm not running to the potty, that is.) I kinda don't want to do much of anything. The last couple of days I've had a crazy kind of energy (adrenalin probably) but now I feel sluggish and lazy. Just so ready to be done...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register