Help Me! In horrible pain with lying down in my bed or sitting (updated) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help Me!  In horrible pain with lying down in my bed or sitting (updated) Help Me! In horrible pain with lying down in my bed or sitting (updated)

Unread 07-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Help Me! In horrible pain with lying down in my bed or sitting (updated)

Morning! I am 4 days. Post-op today and have a horrid time in my bed. I can't get comfy nor can I move to reposition myself without extreme pain -- only on my right side.

The right side feels heavy with lots of tugging, burning and pain. The drs office said that with the Davinci, there is a lot more tool manipulation on the right and it can be very painful.

I can barely sit up withou screaming in pain and I can't twist either.

Any suggestions in regard to how to get in bed and get out? I can't do this anymore as the pain is too great. Is the tugging, pulling and burning normal??

I feel hirrible and can barely walk without discomfort. M)be something is wrong?? Thanks for listening

-Chrys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Re: Help Me! In horrible pain with lying down in my bed or sitting

Morning Chrys,
I hope you are feeling a bit better! first, I think that you need to call/see the DR about the pain. I had a TAH and had pain 4 days post-op, but it was different. Have you had a BM and are you taking stool softeners? Could it be gas? those pains were quite intense at first and were relieved by taking Gas-X and gentle walking around the house. Also I had to eat very mild, bland foods to keep my stomach on track at first and small meals as well- I also am still avoiding dairy products.
Also, are you keeping up with your pain meds, whatever you are taking?
I did not lie down on the couch or in bed for the first couple of weeks- I kept my head elevated and my knees raised with a pillow. I used a kitchen chair placed by my bed to help me get up- using my leg muscles to help me stand, not my stomach muscles.....
Good luck and I hope that you feel better, but remember to check with the DR to get advice and listen to your body!
-TAH, kept ovaries 6/30/09
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Hi Chrys - If it makes you feel any better, I'm day 4 also and having quite a bit of pain. I could actually get out of bed easier the day after surgery than I can today. I think the pain meds that I came home with aren't as good. I'm now having to use the roll to my right and then use my arm to push me up. It's tougher and there is some burning pain with it. I hope that what you're experiencing isn't anything out of the norm but I agree that calling your dr. is a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM

I used a recliner the first couple o nights home... it almost goes into a flat laying position... and i could more easily get in and out to get up and go the bathroom (which i do many times in a night)....

Now i am back to sleeping in my bed ... the best position to be in is on my back flat with pillows under my knees...

Sorry your in so much pain.. it gets better....

Karen
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:22 AM

Hi. I have been passing gas and I had my first bm one day post-op. I pretty sure its not gas; but incision pain. I have five incisions across the top of my belly and the right side is just awful. I'm a fluffy gal and my tummy was big to begin with. With the incisions I feel pulling and tugging.

Laying down in my bed is like death -- I can't move and its painful in my back and belly.
Perhaps the bed is too soft? I can't raise up to get out of bed and when I do; its excrutiating.
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Hi sorry to hear you are in so much pain,

I also had trouble getting in and out of bed. I had to sleep with pillows on either side of me. I was even more comfortable on the couch and used the coffee table to help me get up. Try lying on one side and using your arms to push you up. Your ab muscles need to be rested so they can heal. Maybe see you doctor for stronger pain relief. For the first 10 days I needed my partner to help me get out of bed. I just needed to use my arms instead of my stomach muscles.
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Definitely call your doctor to make sure. There are a number of things that could be causing your pain & your doctor will be able to determine the cause & the proper treatment for you. I started experiencing severe pain on my right side about 3 days after surgery & after seeing my doctor & getting a CAT scan they diagnosed a hematoma. I was told to use a heat pack, Advil & my pain meds to help it disapate- it took about 10 days, but every day got easier to handle. No sense in worrying about what it might be when you can get treatment (& relief)for what it really is. Good luck!
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:42 AM

I read this post and am nodding remembering the pain for the first week. I could not do anything 'normal' everything was limited and luckily I was so tired I slept in whatever position my poor body was in. Gas pains are HORRIBLE and hard to pass.

I also agree you might want to call the doc just to be sure you are okay and keep up on the meds I relied on a schedule rather than my body's pain level since I wanted to be as comfortable as possible in those early days.
Unread 07-24-2009, 02:52 PM

I'm wondering if a physical therapist or the nurses spent time teaching you how to get out of bed? I know a lot of women have to do this by trial and error, but a PT came to me in the hospital and had me practice getting up from a flat bed without the hand railing's help.

If no one did, then you need to roll onto your side and walk your hands up on the bed until you are supported by your elbow, then continue to walk your arms until you are in a seated position. Do not dangle your feet over the side of the bed until you are in a seated position or it will add to your pain. Gently turn your entire body (not at the waist) and put your feet on the floor. It is awkward the first few times, but as your arms get used to it, it can be almost pain free.

Don't get behind on your pain meds. This is no time to "be brave" you need to heal and move around, and you can't do that without pain meds.

Good luck, and I hope I helped.
Unread 07-24-2009, 05:15 PM

I agree,

everyday there is an improvement in the way you can move and the pain does improve each day as well.

I am now about 11 weeks post op and am starting to get around well. I did hav quite a few dramas though. But definetly on track to recovery now.

This is a great site to talk to others that are going through the same thing. I wish I have discovered it weeks ago.

Take Care lets us know how you are going.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register