Great Information | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Great Information Great Information

Unread 07-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Great Information

I seen some great information today and a great list for the day of surgery.

"You need to be that thorn in their side," said Dr. Samuel Seiden, an anesthesiologist who's co-author of a study on surgical errors. "You will catch things. You might also frustrate the nurses, but you have to look out for yourself."

Of course, looking out for yourself can be tough when you're anesthetized. But Seiden and other surgical errors experts say there are steps you can take to lower the chances you'll become the next headline.

1. Check out your doctor and hospital
Specifically, ask your doctor how many times he or she has done this procedure, and compare that with other physicians.
You can check out the hospital by going to HealthGrades or The Leapfrog Group, which rank hospitals by specialty. (For example, you can find good places to get hip surgery in Topeka, Kansas, or to have a hysterectomy in New York.) The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has detailed information about procedures performed at different hospitals.

2. Tell everyone who you are and why you're having surgery.
You may feel like an idiot, but tell all the nurses and doctors your name, your date of birth, and what surgery you're having (for example, "I'm John Smith, I was born 10/21/70, and I'm having arthroscopic surgery on my left knee."). This can help prevent you receiving a surgery intended for someone down the hall. (Of course, if your name really is John Smith, you might want to give your address, too).

3. Make sure your doctor initials your site
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons urges its members to sign their initials directly on the site before surgery (shown in the group's public service ads, like the one pictured above). Make sure your surgeon -- not somebody else -- does the signing and that it's in the right place.

4. Confirm the surgery site with the surgeon right before the procedure
You may have already told the nurses, but it's the surgeon who's doing the actual cutting, so you need to tell him or her directly, says Dr. James Beaty, past president of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
"You should say, 'I'm not going back to surgery until I see my doctor and we confirm that this is the right site,' " he said.

5. Train someone to be your advocate
Don't just bring a friend or family member to your surgery; train them to advocate for you. You're likely to be anxious and a little addled before the surgery (not to mention asleep during it), so you'll need help.
"Equip them with the information they need," advised Ilene Corina, president of PULSE of New York, a patient advocacy group. For example, your advocate can help you check the initials on the surgical site or help you contact your surgeon.

Retrieved from: http://news.aol.com/health/article/h...134x1200310509
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register