Prescription pain killers... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prescription pain killers... Prescription pain killers...

Unread 06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Prescription pain killers...

I'm still needing prescription pain killers (I can only take the most mild one as I'm actually allergic to every narcotic but that one). I'm 4 weeks today (YAY!) and I was curious how many weeks you Sisters took prescription painkillers, and what general kind? I'm taking 800mg Ibuprofen three times a day (I realize that's not such a big deal) and Darvocet. The Darvocet can only be taken twice a day (they're weaning me off) so I supplement with extra-strength tylenol the rest of the time. I also use LOTS of ice!

I'm still in a great deal of pain quite often, but I know you can only take prescrip. pain relievers so long before there can be issues. I'm guessing I'll just have to deal with the pain once I'm down to over-the-counter stuff only?

Thanks for the input, ladies!!! Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2006, 11:42 AM

I stopped taking all kinds of pain killers at three weeks and am afraid to take motrin or tylenol at all for any reason. All the drugs and things the doctors had me on caused me to have chemical hepititus.
Unread 06-30-2006, 11:51 AM

Movingforward, you always write the most comforting posts! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas. Anyhow, I'm at week 3 today and I still need painkillers. All I have is Tylenol 3, and 800 mg. Motrin- they just take the edge off. My doctor isn't overly thrilled to keep me on pain meds too long. My thinking is that it's harder for me to heal when I'm in pain. It frustrates me a bit. This site is amazing because each Dr is as unique as each person and each surgery. Some sisters were given 3 months worth of pain meds and others 3 weeks but they didn't use them. I hope you can find comfort in knowing you aren't alone with the pain med. issue! Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2006, 11:59 AM

You are right Lisa...every doctor is different, as is every patient. I stopped painkillers around 2 weeks (then occasionally used Motrin 800mg)...I am now 5.5weeks post op and don't use any....Let your body tell you what it need and when. And if the pain seems too much, be sure to check with your doctor.

Hope you continue to feel better everyday~~
Unread 06-30-2006, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the input! I was curious about where everyone was at with this issue. I know everyone heals so differently but was curious if there was a general "cut-off" point for pain meds.

I hope you all heal up really soon!
Julia
Unread 06-30-2006, 09:30 PM

Movingfoward,
I am so sorry to hear you are still in so much pain.
I will be honest, I had to stop taking the prescription meds on about my 2nd day home. Just made me really, really , really sick. Id rather be a little achy than be puking with a recent incision. Ouch.
I was taking 2 motrin every 4 hours and I was doing okay. Was I 100%? No, but it was bearable. If I go out of the house for any length of time, I take a fiornal (leftover from my migraines, but it has caffeine and a pain killer, so it doesnt make me so fuzzy).
For the last few days (I am about 11 days out) I have gone without, except at night.
Everyone is so different. It may depend on the types of pain meds you were taking before the surgery, your tolerence for meds may be higher. Or your tolerence for pain may be lower...Either way, listen to your body and your doctor.
I hope you start to feel better soon!
Unread 06-30-2006, 11:58 PM

I am 4 months post op still on pain meds most days,have cuff problems. I take 800 mg motrin ans extra strength vicodin. Have taken as much as 82 in 1 week. My pain has been severe! My dr said addiction happends if you take large doses constantly. I am always off and on,but if I hurt I will eat them like candy. I have suffered enough at the hands of an idiot dr.
Unread 07-01-2006, 12:13 AM

I was happy to see this question, I was wondering the same thing today. My doctor prescribed about a weeks worth of pain medication, so I was wondering if there was something wrong with me because I still have a lot of pain. I was embarrassed to call her today to see about getting a refill because I thought she would tell me that the pain medication should have gotten me through the worst part. Seeing these posts I just may call her on Monday.
Unread 07-01-2006, 05:12 AM

I'm always amazed at how different everyone's experience is!

silverdoe - I would definitely call your doc. I would tell her you didn't call before because you didn't know you COULD ask for more pain meds if you were still in pain. Otherwise most docs will wonder why you need them all of a sudden - if it's a "want" or a "need" for pain meds. I'm sorry you didn't know you could get refills - they really are supposed to tell you that in the hospital. They're taught that pain management is very, very important but some of them have never been in pain and don't "get it" or forget about it. You're still so close to surgery that she really should give you something for this. Let us know how it goes?

Thanks so much for all the replies. I hope everyone is pain-free really soon!!!

Julia
Unread 07-01-2006, 06:44 AM

I am more sore than anything. I take Motrin 800 in the day and a darvacot at night (it's stronger and helps me sleep). My doctor prescribed three months worth but I'm at 2 weeks and don't really need it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register