Tomorrow is the day - I'm so scared . . . | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tomorrow is the day - I'm so scared . . . Tomorrow is the day - I'm so scared . . .

Unread 09-26-2005, 07:22 AM
Tomorrow is the day - I'm so scared . . .

My surgery is tomorrow at 11:30 am, and I am so very scared. I'm trying so hard not to worry, and everyone tells me it will be alright, but no one really knows. I am having a vaginal hysterectomy removing my cervix and uterus, because I've went through several years now of abnormal paps. I've had several biospies, and a LEEP done last year. I even had to see a gyn at the Cancer Center earlier this year. It isn't cancer yet, but it is not going away. I keep telling myself this is the best thing I can do, because I don't want to end up with cervical cancer. I saw my Doctor on Friday, I really like her and trust her judgement, she has been very good to me and has always taken time to talk to me. I asked her if I have made the right decision and she explained to me that I have and if I let it go, sometime down the road the surgery would be more extensive. I'm 39 years old right now, she said that I am basically healthy and should get through this alright. But, still, deep down I am terrified. I have cried, I have kept a journal, I've bought enough groceries for 2 weeks, I've tried to clean up my house and get all the laundry done. I've got my bag packed and this is my last day at work for 2 weeks. I'm just so overwhelmed - this time has come so quickly. I am trying to keep my faith, I have a family that depends on me. Thank you for listening . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2005, 07:34 AM

Hi Harmony, It sounds like you have a great doc and you have a lot of trust in her. So you have to trust the decision you both made. You will be so surprised afterwards at how great you do. Honestly there will be tough days and you'll get that one step up 2 steps back feeling but as time goes you'll see great improvement. Being scared is normal and we all go through it but we make it through. I wish you the best tomorrow and we'll see you on the other side.
Unread 09-26-2005, 07:39 AM

This day was the hardest for me. i had made the decision and knew it was the correct one but what *if* Just remember when you get to the castle your the princess and the one in control. Ask for stuff you want even if you think there is no way you will get it. I asked a nurse 2 days post -op for chicken noodle soup when she asked if i wanted anyhting and I got it within minutes with crackersGodspeed through this dayHUG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2005, 07:41 AM

Hi!
First, I would like to wish you the best for tomorrow. You would not be normal if you were not experiencing anxiety. It is a major decision for any woman to make-I am also 39 and I am scheduled next week for a SAH. Every day my stomach gets more and more butterflies. I am also the person that everyone in my family relies on and that only adds to all the post op concern. We need to let go and let others take care of us for a change. I know that it is easier said than done!
Take care

Lisa
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:07 AM

Harmony Muse,

I too was scared I had a TAH/BSO, I kept myself busy the day before and strangely I had a good sleep the night before which helped alot.
You will be so glad when it's over just think how great you will feel ,obviously the first week or so will be the most painfull but you will cope I had abdominal surgery and was off all pain meds by day 10, you will do great believe me!!!
Good luck for tomorrow sending lots of

Elaine x
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:11 AM

Lisa,

Wishing you all the best for your day on 05/10/05 and sending you lots of too,

Elaine x
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:21 AM

Oh sweetie! I wish I could be there to hug you!!! I can't tell you how to make it better. Just be really kind to yourself today. Lots of things JUST FOR YOU. Before you know it it will be this time tomorrow and you'll be all done and on the way to feeling better. Best of luck to you and prayers for guided doctors' hands tomorrow and extra compassion and care from your healthcare team.

Chris
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Hi Harmony,
It's normal to be scared (I did that "nesting" activity too). But you are young and healthy and sounds like you have a great doctor. I had TVH 5 weeks ago and was off pain meds after 3 days (except occasional motrin) and went back to work part-time after 2 weeks (desk job). I think it's much harder for those who have abdominal surgery.
It's great to have a family that depends on you so much, and I know you must do so much for them. NOW, you will have to learn to depend on them for a few days. Let them do for you and let them feel the rewards that comes with being needed. There is good that can come from it- my boys learned to do laundry, and amazingly, did it very willingly.
Relax and enjoy the "royal treatment" you deserve!
good luck, will be thinking of you.
Unread 09-26-2005, 09:42 AM

Hello Harmony. Just to let you know that I am thinking of you and wishing you the best. I just had my TVH last Tues and I to was scared and wondered if I made the right decision and also have a family that depends on me. I made it through just fine. Little bit of pain but I know for me I made the right decision. But you have to remember you have to do what is best for you. Take care and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Jacqueline
Unread 09-26-2005, 10:00 AM

Hi Harmony!

I also had anxiety, but you know what ... the part BEFORE the surgery was harder than the part after it for me!! My anxiety is worse to me than a little pain, and that's all it was. By day 3 I was also just taking some motrin now and then and I felt great.

I had my TVH just one week ago and I feel fantastic.

So put happy thoughts in your head tonight, get a good night's rest, hold your hubby's hand tomorrow and if you pray that DEFINITELY helps!! And know that you will be fine ...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register