help! need a BM! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help! need a BM! help! need a BM!

Unread 07-07-2006, 11:29 AM
help! need a BM!

I apologize if this makes no sense.. I'm so nauseated and disoreinted from my pain meds still.

I had a TLH on July 4th, and have not as of yet made a BM. I am at the point now where I'm terrified to even try to push, because it hurts so much.

Tips from anyone who has been here before? Should I go see my doctor or is he just going to tell me to drink more water and eat more fibre? (I'm TRYING! but it's so hard to eat when I feel like puking all the time)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2006, 11:32 AM
help! need a BM!

It took me 5 days. I increased my fiber, ate yogurt and took Colace. Be patient, and give it another day or two.
Unread 07-07-2006, 12:29 PM
help! need a BM!

On day 5, I still hadn't "gone", I called my doc. She said to continue the stool softener I was taking daily, but to add Correctol that night. If the correctol didnt produce results, I was instructed to do a Fleet's Enema. The correctol worked by morning, and I have continued the stool softeners and everything is pretty much normal now at 6 weeks.
Please call your dr. for his/her advice as each has different ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2006, 12:40 PM
help! need a BM!

I was just going to post the same thing myself. I had my surgery on 6/26. I had a horrible experience with the bowel prep. It gave me an immediate migraine---came out of both ends that night. I had my surgery on Monday and on Wed still had not passed gas, so the doctor ordered a suppository. After 6 hours, I had a small BM---I swear all the nurses on the floor were nearly giving me high fives over it. I went home that night, actually passed gas on Thursday at home and now it is 11 days post op and noBM! I've taken stool softeners every night and last night I took one of those "mild" women's laxitives. Something is starting to move, because at 2:00 AM I woke up with a miserable pain, clammy and faint. Still couldn't go! Tonight I will try a Fleet enema. I have to say that is my only problem---I feel great otherwise. I've been walking and drinking water. Just need to poop!

Good luck devon1979!

Cathy
Unread 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
help! need a BM!

I am 8 days post-op and had the same problem, I was sooo uncomfortable last night. I've been taking a stool softener (Dr. prescribed) and 1 tblspn of Milk of Magnesia (MOM) and still nothing was moving, just lots of painful gas. I upped my MOM dosage to 2 tblspn's last night (the recommended dosage is 2-4 tblspns for an adult) and this morning finally went, it was very, very painful, but very gratifying to finally have it done. Good luck!
Unread 07-07-2006, 01:03 PM
help! need a BM!

I am 4 weeks post op and had the same problem, only I hadn't gone for three days before surgery either so that made it even worse. At 4 days post op I couldn't take it anymore and DH gave me the option...enema bag or hospital. I did not want the hospital so out came the enema bag. It worked right away and DH and I decided that my diet would consist of Grape Nuts and benefiber until I saw the doc. At that time he told me to get off any and all vitamins (including calcium) until I come back for my 5 week post op apt. I have done that with the exception of my iron pill which I am taking once a week but I double up on the benefiber the day I take it. I have been regular ever since that time. Good luck!
Unread 07-07-2006, 01:28 PM
help! need a BM!

I too have had problems in that department and am just about 2 weeks post op. I spoke with my doctor's office this past Monday and they suggested the following, which has helped although every time I have to go, it is very painful.

Twice a day: Colace (stool softener)
Once a day: 1 dose of Citricel w/8oz water
Once a day at night: 2 tpsp of Milk of Magnesium
1 cup of warmed prune juice when needed.

Good luck!
Unread 07-07-2006, 01:34 PM
help! need a BM!

Go to McDonalds and get the 'McMover'. Pretty much anything you order from McDonalds will get things moving. My Hyst was a little over 7 months ago and remember going thur the same thing. Someone on this site told me about the 'McMover'. Believe me it works....
Unread 07-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Prunes

I took Colace as soon as I got home and when I hadn't had one for 2 days I started on prunes (as well as drinking gallons of water). They worked like a charm. As a matter of fact, they worked too well and I had diarrhea for 2 days. So, be careful in over treating--once you start it is hard to stop.
Unread 07-07-2006, 02:56 PM
help! need a BM!

If it gets really bad...try a suppository. Unfortunately my bowel function still isn't back to "normalcy" yet. My doctor says, "It takes time." Drink as much as you can tolerate. Your body is still full of anesthesia and it needs to be cleansed of that to get your system moving again. Also try to walk. I know how much it hurts and I feel for you. You're bringing back all my memories of 2 -3 weeks ago. Just know you WILL improve day by day....the first 2 weeks are tough. Walking will help get you going and also hopefully move your gas too. Good luck and take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register