Help, I Have To Quit Smoking for Aug 27 surgery! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help, I Have To Quit Smoking for Aug 27 surgery! Help, I Have To Quit Smoking for Aug 27 surgery!

Unread 08-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Help, I Have To Quit Smoking for Aug 27 surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWoman44
Yeah- thats why you can't somke at all for 2 weeks before being put under- it really can put you in danger...so you really should- at least for those 2 weeks. I am telling you- after taking the chantix for 3 days, my cravings disappeared and when I forced myself to smoke one, it was like sucking air....

let me put it this way for those of you who smoke/d and who can understand----the chantix makes you feel like you just had one----all day long. Now, I am a bad girl because I take the chantix all week long, but I don't take it on the weekends. Why? So I can enjoy a smoke or two with my beers. If I don't take the chantix, my cravings and enjoyment of the smokes returns in about 24 hours. Obviously, this isn't how one is supposed to use it, but what can I say, I'm weak. So two weeks before the surgery, I will take my little blue pill each day.
Well if I had 2 weeks that would have been great, I only had 4 days but I am doing my best that I can...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Not Good Advice But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes2u
Well if I had 2 weeks that would have been great, I only had 4 days but I am doing my best that I can...

I smoked right up until the day of surgery, I have no will power and the nerves were shot...I went to the castle @1:45 and my last cigarette was at 1:00, I know, it might be bad but, I must have had my gaurdian angel with me, good luck to you that have quit or that will!!!
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofunknown
I smoked right up until the day of surgery, I have no will power and the nerves were shot...I went to the castle @1:45 and my last cigarette was at 1:00, I know, it might be bad but, I must have had my gaurdian angel with me, good luck to you that have quit or that will!!!

OMG THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING! I AM TRULLY DOING MY BEST! I JUST TRIED TO RUN AROUND THE BLOCK CAUSE I CAN'T SLEEP AND I FEEL LIKE I DRANK ABOUT 15 LARGE MONTERS WITH EXTRA CAFFINE SHOTS! LOL

MAN THIS IS GOING TO BE A LATE NIGHT!!!!!! AT LEAST WITH MY OTHER SURGERIES THEY WERE IN THE MORNING, NOT AT 6 PM AT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Chantix is fabulous!!!

OK.... I don't want to sound like an infomercial but after 31 years of smoking 1-1/2 to 2 packs a day, I started Chantix about a month before my surgery. My first day without a smoke was August 6th, and NO nicotine cravings!!!

Now I still had to deal with the triggers and habitual stuff, but making the distinction between a real nicotine fit and just "habit" made all the difference in the world! Also I took ALOT of slow deep breaths and that helped more than you can know....

Today is my 22nd day without a cigarette and my surgery is 3 days away. I'm so gld I was able to kick em.... I breathe better and sleep better and feel better.

for all of you trying... believe me when I say I've tried em all to quit.... hypnosis, gum, patches, nicotine inhalers....
Chantix worked for me..... but it is SOOO hard to make that commitment, so my best to all of you!

3 days and counting....
Unread 08-27-2007, 05:29 AM

It is so true---like I said earlier---this Chantx stuff is amazing----I didn't even WANT to quit (lets face it, if your a smoker--you wouldn't quit if it wasn't so bad for you right?We smoke because we enjoy it!).....I TRUELY hated the thought of quitting, but I knew I SHOULD. So I forced myself to take the chantix to "see what happens".. Well, I didn't even need to try. Within about 3 days, I was walking around all day with that "just had a smoke" feeling....without smoking any! Its great stuff. Except it gives you gas. My dh said he'd rather smell that than smoke! LOL
Unread 08-27-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWoman44
It is so true---like I said earlier---this Chantx stuff is amazing----I didn't even WANT to quit (lets face it, if your a smoker--you wouldn't quit if it wasn't so bad for you right?We smoke because we enjoy it!).....I TRUELY hated the thought of quitting, but I knew I SHOULD. So I forced myself to take the chantix to "see what happens".. Well, I didn't even need to try. Within about 3 days, I was walking around all day with that "just had a smoke" feeling....without smoking any! Its great stuff. Except it gives you gas. My dh said he'd rather smell that than smoke! LOL

Bwaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Ain't that the truth??? I've been quite uh..."musical" the past few weeks! But I love being able to breathe!!! Hubby just started Chantix too but is whining about it. No biggie... at least when I am in recovery, I won't be popping stitches from coughing.

You're so right NewWoman44... Ya just don't even WANT one!!! Isn't it fabulous?
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM

I'm proud of everyone that is putting forth the effort to quit . With or without Chantix. I however used Chantix it was the only way for me I couldn't do the patch or cold turkey.
I have just passed my 6 month mark and haven't had a cigarette. I've gained some weight between quitting and my surgery but haven't given in to the habit. It's not the craving that is a problem it is the habit. My mom just had a quadruple by-pass and they found a tumor on her right lung, she is now thanks to chantix smoke free.
So what ever it takes try and find a good support buddy several are the best way to be smoke free.
It also helps to avoid NEGATIVE people while in the process
of becoming smoke free.

Happy Day,
Ducky

LAVH, endo, fibroids & P Repair 5/21/07
Unread 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes2u
I SWEAR IF I WAS STRESS FREE I TRULLY BELEIVE I COULD DO SO MUCH BETTER.............
Nobody is ever stress free. At least not for more than a few minutes.

Stress is nature's way of reminding you you're still alive.
Unread 09-01-2007, 01:06 PM

I quit almost six years ago. I did it cold turkey and I was a pack a day smoker. It was the best thing I ever did! You can do it!!
Unread 09-03-2007, 08:50 AM

My opinion is, first of all non-smokers think they can just tell someone to quit and that's all there is to it. You have to really WANT to quit or nothing will work. I thought being in the hospital for 3 days would be the best time, but it wasn't the right time. I couldn't do it, like I planned. Smoking addiction is so strong and those who don't smoke, don't understand. Don't beat yourself up. When you are ready to quit, you will. Try a smoking cessation class at your local hospital when you are ready. Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register