catheters etc........ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

catheters etc........ catheters etc........

Unread 11-16-2001, 10:13 AM
catheters etc........

Just from reading some posts from people who have crowned at the castle, I am wondering, is it the norm for a catheter being inserted for this surgery? I've never been on the receiving end of catheterization before so that is freaking me out a bit!
Also oxygen, have alot of you sisters had to have oxygen post-op?
I was naively thinking I'd be home the same day after my (dont know the initials for this) abdominal partial hysterectomy.
I haven't had my pre-op yet, so I have learned much from this site and have a zillions questions to bombard him with.
I'm also going to mention spinal as an option (with happy drugs if possible)
One more question, I found when they gave me morphine post op for another surgery recently, I was extremely restless, fighting it, and feeling awful on it (and DH says I was flashing everyone in the step down unit) Did you find demerol good?
I've had it twice, once IM and it was great. Another time they had to dig a sewing needle out of my big toe and gave me demerol IV which literally hit like a ton of bricks! Honestly I'd make a terrible druggy, I cant seem to relax on narcotics. Did any of you find your mouth was AWFULLY dry when given morphine or demerol? I know I was especially when I knew I wasnt allowed anything by mouth in recovery I begged for some of those lemon-glycerine swabs. Sorry for so many questions. My pre-op is not until December and I'm too hyper to wait that long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2001, 10:40 AM
catheters etc........

Hi MJ!

I don't know of any of us who did NOT wake from surgery to find there was a catheter. Mine was removed the morning following the surgery, and it was no problem whatsoever.

Did not have oxygen. Anesthetist insisted on an oh-so-annoying apnea monitor.

I would not count on being home the same day, although stranger things have happened. Good question for your DR as to your estimated hospital stay.

The drugs - different people have different reactions to them. Best to ask your doc what he/she thinks will be best for you based on your past experiences. And don't be surprised if your doctor refers those questions over to the anesthesiologist.
Unread 11-16-2001, 11:01 AM
Encouragement, and Information

Hi, I'm in my 3rd week of recovery from TAH - had ovaries and everything removed.

You say you are having partial, but the real thing issue is that it is by abdominal surgery. This is MAJOR SURGERY. There will be at least 6-week recovery, and you will need to rest and pray.

Since you are planning so well in advance for your January operation, you will have lots of time to study the available information. There are some good books out there, maybe you can find one at your library, and you can reference the books for all your questions.

Demoral knocks you out big time. I had some ideas about my anesthesia, and I talked to the surgeon. She wisely said talk to my anesthesiologist about it. So I did. He was surprised that I was somewhat informed, and wanted more information. And he answered all my questions. But it came down to trust. He knew a lot more about all this than I did, all I needed to do was to tell him my concerns, and let him make the big decisions. As it turned out - everything was FINE. i received morphine IV afterwards, and Yes, my mouth was dry, and my skin was itchy, and i was babbling a bit in recovery, but the important thing was I WAS OK!!!! I loved the ice chips they gave me for 2-3 days after surgery. I took no food my mouth (but frankly, I wasnt hungry) until about the 4th day. I started w/clear soup, and then a thicker soup. Before I left the hospital, I had eaten my first real meal. Now 3 weeks later, I'm eating ok, but carefully.

When they tell you to get up and walk, do it (but carefully). My favorite tool was a little belly pillow that the PCA (patient care aide) made for me out of a hospital blanket. I still press it against my lower abdomen, whenever I go to the toilet. It was a lifesaver, and I of course brought it home with me.

Well, good luck, DONT WORRY YOURSELF SICK OK! Just getting the information will help you, and trust your doctors. Ask all the questions you want. It will help you. God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2001, 11:12 AM
catheters etc........

Since Xena mentioned it, you may want to take a look into the HysterSisters Mall.

Xena mentioned the absolute necessity of a 'Tummy Pillow' Absolutely a must! I never went anywhere without mine from the time I got to the castle to 4 weeks later at home. Go check it out in the HysterSisters Mall - sure, you can purchase a 'personal pillow' or 'travel pillow' in stores, but by buying one from HS, you are supporting the site and helping to keep it free. They have a fantastic book full of Q's and A's, bedtime stories, things that never occurred to you relating to hysterectomy.

Check it out!
Unread 11-16-2001, 12:14 PM
catheters etc........

-The catheter was no problem at all. I had had one with both my C-sections when I had my kids years ago and this one didn't bother me either. It was put in after I was in the operating room and removed the next day. No pain or anything.
- As for oxygen, I did have it a little while after surgery from what I can recall. I know I had it during the surgery, of course - I hated the big mask over my face and felt claustophobic with it on so they changed it during my surgery and put the one with the little nose thingies on it. That was much better. I did have it for a while after the surgery but now I can't remember how long LOL.
- I had a spinal which, in my opinion, is definitely the way to go. I felt find afterwards and never felt sick in any way at all. I was even standing up by the bed that night. They did give me something to relax me (which I asked for) and I drifted in and out during the surgery. So I was awake, but don't remember every moment. That was fine with me
Unread 11-16-2001, 12:56 PM
catheters etc........

I had the demerol pca and loved it! I had bad experience with morphine, I had oxygen and it helped alot, The cathater was inserted after I was asleep. I also asked for somthing to make me sleepy before I went in to OR, it helped me not be as cold.Good luck...and not to be so repetative but,WAITING IS THE HARDEST

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register