Not Scheduled Upcoming hysterectomy: New and Nervous - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: New and Nervous Upcoming hysterectomy: New and Nervous

Unread 10-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: New and Nervous

I understand your concerns. I also read about all the complications and freaked myself out. But now that I'm post op, And I don't post on the post op forum because I have nothing to complain about. So now I understand why it appears that everyone has a rough time after this surgery.

If you are not comfortable with your doctor, find another one. If you don't feel comfortable with robotic surgery, don't get it done. I had laparoscopic and the incision pain was more minimal than I had expected. The incisions on my abdomen are tiny.

I am 5 weeks post op and feel great. I am not 100% but I'm doing very well. Better than I expected. I also have young kiddoes. My mother came for two weeks to help out with the kids. My hubby went back to work 7 days after my surgery. You will need some help and support, but it's totally doable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2014, 03:14 PM

I think I got the most reassurance from doing what you are doing now, speaking with women who have been there, done that, and won't freak you out. I found out half the women I knew had it done, and they felt so much better. And honestly, I wish I didn't wait so long to get the davinci! I feel like a new woman. I suffered so long with fibroids and endometriosis, and didnt know what normal was. But the recovery from the davinici has been great. I am 10 weeks out, and feel like really well. I was very hesitant, like you, to get it done. But don't listen to the horror stories. Everyone's recovery is different. Everyone's situation is different. Don't let them keep you from getting the healing you deserve. And definitely don't hesitate to get a second opinion if you feel you need one. I did and I'm so glad, cause my first doc was a jerk. Make sure your doc is willing to take time to go over everything with you. Big hugs to you!!
Unread 10-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Hello there CShepp,

I had a DTVH on August 21st and am doing fantastic now. I never had major surgery and I was SCARED beyond belief prior to entering the hospital that morning. The staff was wonderful and eased my worries. I "went under" and the next thing I was in recovery, in no pain, just laying there with my ice chips watching the ongoings. Within an hour I was out of recovery (my surgery was at 8AM), but 4PM I was released. I had 1/2 dose of Hydrocodone and was feeling comfortable. Walking, albeit slowly and urinating. All was good.

My biggest concern for you is your recovery support. You will have a difficult time taking care of yourself let alone your children. If you cook, I would recommend making as many casseroles, etc.. as possible prior to surgery and freezing them. Make sure you stock up on easy to eat breakfast and lunch items for hubby and the kids. Get extra videos, etc... whatever that you can introduce to the children each day to keep them busy (libraries have great DVDs for free). I truly believe that for at least the first 5 to 7 days you will need help with the 3 year old. (don't know the ages of your other children). Sleep will overcome you and you will be dozing away whether you want to or not.

Make sure you have Gas-X and Colace - take the Gas-x as soon as the gas pains hit (mine didn't start until late day 3) and take the Colace (at least one a day, maybe 2) until you forget that you need it.

Have pillows for under your knees in bed - aids with abdominal strain and plenty of fluids nearby (I bought several half gallons of Cranberry etc... juices so all I had to do was pour it over ice and I knew it wouldn't hurt my bladder / kidneys which already had enough trauma.

Also have Advil, Tylenol, Ibuprofen (whichever is your preference) on hand as it will handle the pain easily vs. taking the prescription meds.

Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register